The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's golf team is tied for ninth place out of 14 teams going into the final round of the Cardinal Cup hosted by Louisville at Simpsonville, Ky. The Mocs' 601 total in Monday's two rounds is only four behind fifth-place Wisconsin. Louisville is in first place at 584, one ahead of Florida State. UTC's Isabella Loza shot a 71 in the second round and is tied for 20th individually at 149, with Emily McLennan at 150, Megan Woods at 151 and Monica San Juan at 153.
* The Dalton State men's golf team is third out of 10 teams after 36 holes of the Chick-fil-A Collegiate tournament at Stonebridge Golf Club at Rome, Ga. Host Berry College leads at 12-under-par 564 with LaGrange at 583 and the Roadrunners at 592 after Monday's two rounds. DSC's Sean Elliott is in seventh place at 144, four strokes behind the co-leaders, and Adam Morris and Levi Nix are tied for 10th and 14th at 148 and 150. Chase Jones shot 155. Sewanee and Covenant are eighth and 10th in the team standings.
* Led by third-place individual Chase Cole at 72, the Georgia Northwestern men's golf team is tied for fourth out of seven teams - three of them NCAA Division II members - in the Walters State Invitational at the Country Club of Morristown. Tusculum leads at 292; GNTC is at 314, four shots behind Carson-Newman.
* Jeremiah Powell of Trenton won the $1,500 top prize in the Super Pro class Saturday at the Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip. He won with a 5.18-second run on a 5.18 dial in his Chevrolet-powered dragster, leaving Kevin Pass from Dallas, Ga., second with a 5.09 run on a 5.06 dial. Powell's twin, Joshua Powell, was third in a 1985 Chevy pickup. Jim Nash was first and Marvin Crutcher second in the 5:50 class, Rick Millard first and Randy Womack second in the 6:00, Mike Faltesek first and Justin Dempsey second in the 7:00, Jeffrey Montgomery first with Melvin Croft second in Foot Brake and Bryson Kaiser first with Kaleb Winters second in Junior Dragster. The strip is saddened by the news that veteran driver Stan Curvin died Friday. Visitation is 4-8 p.m. today at the Highway 58 chapel of Turner Funeral Home.
* Kianna Delaney had 21 kills and nine digs and Michala Askew had 35 assists and 17 digs as Dalton State won 3-1 at Reinhardt in NAIA volleyball Monday. Marta Guntin had 15 kills and Karly Newman added 11 digs in the 25-21, 28-26, 16-25, 25-22 victory for the Roadrunners (9-10). They host Truett-McConnell tonight at 6:30.
* Covenant College won 3-0 in the women's game and lost 1-0 in the men's in a USA South soccer makeup doubleheader Monday at Greensboro College. The Lady Scots (8-4, 6-3) got second-half goals from Christy Barton, Carter Steedley and Grace Buys. Daniel Kubin made eight saves for the Scots (3-9-2, 2-3-2), who were outshot 23-2.
* Covenant freshman Micah Sneller was the USA South's rookie runner of the week for the second time this season after his personal-best 8k showing in the Berry College Invitational on Saturday.