Chattanooga police investigate after Central High students ate marijuana candies

Four students were sent to local hospitals for medical evaluation after appearing sick

Staff File Photo Central High School student resource officer P. Soyster walks on campus in this August photo. The sheriff's office said the SRO called deputies for backup after a fight broke out at the school Friday.

Police are investigating an incident in which four Central High students were sent to the hospital Wednesday after eating drug-laced gelatin candy.

Hamilton County Schools spokesman Tim Hensley said the students ingested a "gelatin roll candy type product that had marijuana as an ingredient."

The students were transported to local hospitals for medical evaluation after appearing sick. Two students were transported by EMS and the other two were taken by family members, Hensley said.

Central High Principal Finley King said one of the students was a diabetic, adding that the students were "throwing up," King said.

King also said one of the students, a junior who was new to the school, has been expelled under the school's zero tolerance policies after passing out the snacks.

Hensley