Officials urge fire safety after four narrowly escape Walker County house fire caused by Christmas tree lights

Photo courtesy of Walker County government

The lights on a Christmas tree that were left on all night caused the fire in Walker County Wednesday morning that completely engulfed a home and sent four people to the hospital.

A 60-year old male suffered second and third degree burns, while three others needed medical care for smoke inhalation.

Walker County fire officials said smoke alarms inside the home activated and warned the family of the fire. Walker County Fire Rescue installed three new smoke alarms at this residence on October 2, 2018.

photo Photo courtesy of Walker County government.

Legge said there were no working smoke alarms in the home before the family took advantage of the county's free community service program.

Walker County residents who are in need of free smoke alarms can contact the county's fire rescue department at 706-539-1255 to schedule an appointment for installation.

Tennessee