More cases of the coronavirus, along with one additional death, have turned up in Washington State with links to the nursing care facility belonging to a Cleveland, Tennessee-based company, officials said Tuesday.
Through Tuesday, five deaths in total with ties to a Life Care Centers of America location in Kirkland, Washington, have been reported by King County officials:
* A female in her 80s who was a Life Care resident, who died Feb. 26.
* A male in his 50s who was resident, who died on Feb. 26.
* A male in his 70s who was a resident, who died Sunday.
* A female in her 70s who was a resident, who died Sunday.
* A female in her 70s who was a resident, who died Monday.
New cases reported Tuesday by King County with a link to the Life Care facility:
* A female in her 40s, who worked at Life Care. She was never hospitalized and is recovering at home.
* A male in his 70s who was a frequent visitor of Life Care. His hospitalization status is unknown.
Ellie Basham, executive director of the Kirkland Life Care facility, said in a statement that current residents and associates continue to be monitored closely, specifically for an elevated temperature, cough and/or shortness of breath.
"Any resident displaying these symptoms is placed in isolation," she said. "Associates are screened prior to beginning work and upon leaving. We are also following infection control recommendations, including proper hand-washing techniques and wearing masks, gowns and gloves when caring for any symptomatic patients."
Basham said that all of these decisions have been made based on recommendations from the state health department and the CDC.
She reiterated that all visits to the facility from families, volunteers or vendors are not allowed. The facility has also placed a hold on admissions to fully focus on our current residents and associates.
Life Care Centers of America is the nation's largest privately owned nursing home chain with more than 200 skilled nursing home facilities in 28 states.
Contact Mike Pare at [email protected] or 423-757-6318. Follow him on Twitter @MikePareTFP.