published Tuesday, August 17th, 2010

The Proponents

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

46
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
blackwater48 said...

A well thought out graphic depiction of the two major political parties in America today.

You can't blame the Republic Party for this strategy. More voters are registered Democrats so the GOP has to rely on divisive wedge issues to win elections.

Their strategy for the 2010 midterm elections is to demonize Obama and return to the glory daze of George W. Bush.

United we stand. Divided, well, that's just the way the Republic Party rolls.

August 17, 2010 at 12:33 a.m.
OllieH said...

I second blackwater's comments. Another conceptually brilliant cartoon, Clay.

Man, I am so happy you came to the Times Free Press. I hope all of Chattanooga (even those who seem to despise you) realize how fortunate we are to have you here.

August 17, 2010 at 1:11 a.m.
SeaSmokie59er said...

Welcome to American politics for the next generation.

August 17, 2010 at 1:29 a.m.
Livn4life said...

Wow, it is so refreshing to see that all the Democrat party does is unite. I must be missing something. Draw-boy once more you show that fantastic balance obviously the previous commenters have come to appreciate. Anyone with any brain at all can see the division being fostered by the current leadership in Washington. But by golly that's ok because Bush is to blame. The last time I looked Mr. Bush was gone from the White House and is no longer running. But then....

August 17, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
anniebelle said...

Bush may not be running, but his horrendous, devastating agenda is still alive and well and waiting in the wings, chomping at the bits to get control of the masses and steal the rest of their money for their banking buddies. Not to mention the billions he piled up in debt over his unfunded wars. These are the bills your children and grandchildren will be paying FOREVER. No matter what you say, Bush is the one who dealt out Billions to wall street before he left. Now I know those on your side, (history books from Texas, me thinks) think President Obama did this. But, a lie is a lie even if everybody believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.

August 17, 2010 at 6:25 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

I recommend the book by Thomas Frank called "What's the Matter with Kansas?" After reading it I had to admire the ability of the Republican party to gather a lot of different groups together to vote as one (sometimes against their best interest). The Democrats have failed to recognize that the conservative social issues are losing them the votes, even though economically they may be providing a better option. THAT is the genius of the Republicans. They managed to unite a large number under that big tent and elect Bush II, in the face of stronger Democratic candidates and 8 years of Clinton prosperity. They did it again in 2004, managing to make Bush look more patriotic than an actual veteran who served in Vietnam.

No, I don't think that the Republicans are the dividers. In spite of not being republican, I have to admire what they have managed to achieve in those two elections.

August 17, 2010 at 7:53 a.m.
Allison12 said...

Liberal bias in cartoon? No worries, Obama one termer.

August 17, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.
chattreb said...

Relative to the cartoon: BULL.

August 17, 2010 at 8:45 a.m.
Musicman375 said...

It's funny how both parties are guilty of all the nonsense they accuse each other of, but no one wants to admit it. Nice job drawing half the truth, Clay. The only thing this toon is missing is another repub and another dem, each holding the opposite sign of his cohort.

August 17, 2010 at 9:01 a.m.
alprova said...

Livn4life wrote: "Anyone with any brain at all can see the division being fostered by the current leadership in Washington."


Hogwash. The division being fostered is coming from the right side of the aisle and the voting records of those who sit on that side prove it.

There is almost a complete 50/50 division within the Republican Party itself, which in and of itself speaks to the issue far more than words do. Of course, this is not a new phenomenon. Religious conservatives have been fighting tooth and nail for control of the Party for two decades, with little or no success.

Outside of conservative venues, such as Fox News and other right-wing media outlets, there is little evidence of any division that makes any difference at all.

The elite in this nation, as in those who are doing just fine despite the current economy, are biting their fingernails at the thought that they will too have to sacrifice some of what they make to help get this country back on track.

There is no mistaking the political party that is working hard to see that they do not have to sacrifice one penny.


"But by golly that's ok because Bush is to blame. The last time I looked Mr. Bush was gone from the White House and is no longer running. But then...."


Do you know why people still blame the Bush Administration for this nation's ills? It's because the effects of his and the Republican agendas and policies still linger to this day, much like the odor will linger in one's home after inviting 30 people to dine on fried fish.

August 17, 2010 at 9:02 a.m.
blackwater48 said...

The Republic Party has managed to cobble together separate political factions but I still believe the basic strategy is divide and conquer.

In 2004, Ohio Republicans managed to get a same sex initiative on the ballot which outraged enough Democratic voters that Bush won by 30,000. That provided the electoral vote edge.

Granted, the Republic Party will hop into bed with whatever group they can exploit - like the Christian Coalition, the NRA, or the Tea Party - as long as that group supports tax cuts for the rich.

The GOP is picking off Democratic voters by forcing the Democratic Party to defend gay marriage. While seemingly Constitutional, it's not very popular. Lots of democratic voters oppose it.

The Republic Party is trying a similar strategy with the so-called "Ground Zero Mosque." The fact that it's neither at Ground Zero nor a Mosque dissuades our GOP friends not a lick.

It's not popular and lots of democratic voters oppose it. President Obama has to state publicly that the First Amendment to the Constitution applies to all Americans.

Our nation is great, in part, because of our basic liberties. The First Amendment guarantees citizens the right to worship any god they want and the Government cannot intervene.

Now the Republic Party wants Big Government to step in? How ironic.

No, the Republic Party survives on wedge issues wrapped up in the American flag. They don't need to pick off many Democratic voters to win elections. They don't even need to get close.

Heck, W. lost by 500,000 and the Supreme Court gave it to him anyway.

August 17, 2010 at 9:16 a.m.
whoknows said...

Too true Musicman. This made me think of a quote from Ayn Rand. "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone." This cartoon and some of the posters above cannot stand to reason. By doing so, they would have to admit what you just said... Your suggestion for the cartoon would have made it truthful and bipartisan; which are qualities we have neither here on this board, nor in Washington.

August 17, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.
Tax_Payer said...

I cannot wait until the Chattanooga Tea Party turns in their numbers at the end of the month.

August 17, 2010 at 9:22 a.m.
alprova said...

Ikeithlu wrote: "No, I don't think that the Republicans are the dividers. In spite of not being republican, I have to admire what they have managed to achieve in those two elections."


I'm not sure that I agree with all that you wrote, although it is a very interesting take on the situation. ALL politicians are prone to having the gift of persuasion, or they would never be elected.

Let us not forget that had the Supreme Court not stepped in to stop the Florida recount, the 2000 election might have had a totally different outcome. Granted, I no more wanted Al Gore to be President than I would like to see Basil Marceaux to be the next Governor of Tennessee, but that is not the point.

For the next hundred years and perhaps beyond, there will be a lingering suspicion that the 2000 election results were halted in favor of the ruling political party at the time, and it may well have been due to political biases of the court members themselves. We will never truly know what the truth was.

There is no mistaking the fact that the Republican Party has fractured in the last ten years. I'm living testimony to that fact, because I have absolutely no allegiance whatsoever to the party any longer, although I am still registered to vote as a Republican.

I use my vote primarily to cast it in favor of those who are not predisposed to opening their Bibles when they attempt to legislate the populace.

People much like myself are responsible for sending the likes of Robin Smith, Zach Wamp, and others back home to ponder and reflect their decisions to represent their own interests and beliefs, rather than to allow people to have a little more free-will in making their life decisions.

Now THAT is indeed the division that plagues the Republican Party, and until the day comes that the Republicans back off of this insidious desire to legislate morality, that has become all but intolerable and completely transparent, while continuing to work on behalf of only those who are most likely to fill their political coffers, our Republican politicians will continue to be frustrated and slapped on their hands for failing to represent ALL of their constituents, as best as is humanly possible.

If someone is so beholden to their religious beliefs, that they cannot separate them from what they have been elected to do as a politician, then they do not have the objectivity necessary and required to perform the duties of their job as a politician.

And if a politician is only in the game to see how much money they can stuff their pockets...well then, I feel they will eventually answer to that one day as well, probably when their Earthly life cycle ceases to exist.

Unity can be a great thing, but it can also be quite evil as well. Unity, in my opinion, used to siphon money from those who have little of it, or to work to preserve it where it exists in mass, is quite the definition of evil.

August 17, 2010 at 9:44 a.m.
alprova said...

Tax_Payer wrote: "I cannot wait until the Chattanooga Tea Party turns in their numbers at the end of the month."


Do you mean all 530 of them?

August 17, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.
alprova said...

anniebelle wrote: "...a lie is a lie even if everybody believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it."


I wish we were afforded more than one vote in this forum, per post, for those words are so utterly profound and so true.

My Grandmother, God rest her soul, used a phrase that has stuck with me all of my life.

"The truth will stand when the world is on fire."

August 17, 2010 at 10:03 a.m.
Musicman375 said...

"In 2004, Ohio Republicans managed to get a same sex initiative on the ballot which outraged enough Democratic voters that Bush won by 30,000. That provided the electoral vote edge."

I'm still trying to figure out how that even makes sense, unless you mean the democratic voters were too unintelligent to know what was happening.

"Granted, the Republic Party will hop into bed with whatever group they can exploit - like the Christian Coalition, the NRA, or the Tea Party - as long as that group supports tax cuts for the rich."

Um... the same people in those groups are also republicans, therefore, it's the other way around from what you just said. It's the same thing as the dems, to use your logic, being in bed with the NAACP. By my logic, the people in the NAACP happen to be democrats.

"The GOP is picking off Democratic voters by forcing the Democratic Party to defend gay marriage. While seemingly Constitutional, it's not very popular. Lots of democratic voters oppose it."

If that's true, it makes the democratic voters look like a bunch of weaklings who cannot think for themselves. Lol.

"The Republic Party is trying a similar strategy with the so-called "Ground Zero Mosque." The fact that it's neither at Ground Zero nor a Mosque dissuades our GOP friends not a lick."

This is your bias spinning something else other than the truth, IMHO. I don't have an issue with a mosque being there, but the people who do have every right to feel passionately about it as you do. They see it as being disrespectful to the families of the victims who died so close to that spot, at the hands of the Islamic terrorists. Call those people liars if you want, but that's not my job.

"No, the Republic Party survives on wedge issues wrapped up in the American flag. They don't need to pick off many Democratic voters to win elections. They don't even need to get close."

What? Care to elaborate without using half-truths?

"Heck, W. lost by 500,000 and the Supreme Court gave it to him anyway."

Yep, and Obama was born in another country. lol

August 17, 2010 at 10:07 a.m.
nurseforjustice said...

good comment Musicman and whoknows.

The democratic party is not trying to divide us. Just because they passed Obamacare with the majority of americans disapproving of it doesn't mean anything. Just because a liberal judge overturns a majority vote in California doesn't mean anything.... WOW, talk about dividing. The agenda is clear. The democrats think they know what is best for this country and by cracky they will push it down our throats even at their own detriment.

August 17, 2010 at 10:09 a.m.
alprova said...

Allison12 wrote: "Liberal bias in cartoon? No worries, Obama one termer."


It isn't going to happen.

Despite all the perceptions that exist in regard to the popularity of President Obama, there is no Republican out there who stands a chance up against President Obama. Not one.

Even within the Republican Party straw polls that have been taken in the last two years, the highest percentages have not even been above the low 30% range. Ron Paul achieved 32% for one poll, early last year.

Last week's straw poll had the three top possible nominees tied at 23% apiece. They were Romney, Palin, and Huckabee.

So who is the Great White Knight that will unite the voters and go on to ride the equally white Republican horse into victory lane? They can't even get a front-runner out of the gate.

Donations to the Republican Party are at an all time LOW. The GOP has only FOUR million dollars to distribute to candidates between now and voting day for the 2010 mid-term elections.

Hype is not necessarily circumstance. And there is certainly no shortage of hype ongoing and coming from the Republicans at the moment.

And it's pathetically all they've got going for them at the moment as well.

August 17, 2010 at 10:21 a.m.
blackwater48 said...

What's the matter Musicman? You're losing what was left of your edge.

Your opinions are your opinions.

The Republic Party tries to survive on wedge issues wrapped in the American flag. They don't shy away it. They embrace it. You should too.

Alprova, I was writing my last post while you were writing similar comments. We come from similar backgrounds. Years ago I quit the Democratic Party and registered as a Conservative.

I was more of a Goldwater conservative which, to today's Republic Party, makes me a flaming liberal. I haven't changed much over the years but they sure have.

You can either support the Constitution or not. You can either favor a strong central government or not. The GOP prefers the smorgasbord approach, what ever it takes to put the fear of God into voters.

August 17, 2010 at 10:43 a.m.
alprova said...

Musicman375 wrote: "I don't have an issue with a mosque being there, but the people who do have every right to feel passionately about it as you do. They see it as being disrespectful to the families of the victims who died so close to that spot, at the hands of the Islamic terrorists.


Of course they have the "right" to feel passionately about it, but there is a little hypocrisy involved in holding such opinions. Religion is more divisive than politics.

As a Christian, I have objection to those who who attempt to speak for God or who act upon their personal beliefs to intentionally murder others in the name of God. As such, I have no allegiance nor respect for those who intentionally donned white hoods to murder, nor for anyone who murdered anyone who has taken part in the abortion of fetuses.

In my opinion, they are not Christians. They are nothing more than murderers.

Now, while Islam is not my religious platform of choice, I respect the right of others to choose it as theirs. Those who boarded the planes on 9/11 considered themselves to be Islamics. They in no manner represented all Islamics. I no more accept the charge that Islam is any more a violent religion than I do that Christianity is a violent religion.

Both have scripture contained within their holy writings that can be used to either support any charge that they are violent or that they are peaceful.

Therefore, I must view the actions of the vast majority of both to arrive at the totally logical conclusion that both Christianity and Islam are peaceful religions. After all, we have around 7 million Muslims in this nation, and how many murders have taken place in this country, STRICTLY attributed to any basis of their religious beliefs?

Outside of those that occurred on 9/11, a handful at best. It's a complete wash to even debate the subject. Everyone is right and everyone is also wrong.

I certainly understand the sentiment that comes into play when it comes to to the "Ground Zero Mosque" debate, and correct if I am wrong, but isn't it a fact that if the Mosque were built, it would not even be viewable from the area known as Ground Zero? It would be hidden by surrounding buildings and two and a half blocks from Ground Zero.

Blaming every Islamic for the actions of a handful of those claiming to be the same is very much like condemning all Christians for the murders committed by those who have used the Bible to justify their murderous actions too.

I'm quite sure that there are many churches located in communities where blood has been spilled in the name of God or Christ. Many of them are likely located within the southern region of this country.

This country has been sold a bill of goods, in order to justify the two wars in the Middle East, that we are at war with Islam. Nothing could be farther from the truth, but it's accepted by so many nonetheless.

August 17, 2010 at 11:09 a.m.
Sailorman said...

"Last week's straw poll had the three top possible nominees tied at 23% apiece. They were Romney, Palin, and Huckabee."

How depressing.

August 17, 2010 at 11:45 a.m.
alprova said...

Here's Jon Stewart's take on the Mosque debate;

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-august-16-2010/mosque-erade

August 17, 2010 at 11:52 a.m.
alprova said...

To all hunters who kill animals for food, shame on you!!

You ought to go to the store and buy the meat that was made there, where no animals were harmed.

Source: An actual reader opinion offered in a San Francisco newspaper.

Yeah...I know it has nothing to do with today's subject, but it was too good not to share...

August 17, 2010 at noon
blackwater48 said...

One perk of an independent political point of view is you get twice as many chances to mock political morons.

August 17, 2010 at 12:14 p.m.
hambone said...

The GOP is like the bad guy on an old Gunsmoke Rerun. He's busy inciting a lynch mob outside the jail when the lynch mob can't see that he's out to steal the ranch!!

August 17, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.
FM_33 said...

Liberal bias in cartoon? No worries, Obama one termer. Username: Allison12 | On: August 17, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.


How did you come to believe that fact Allison12 ?

August 17, 2010 at 4:43 p.m.
FM_33 said...

One perk of an independent political point of view is you get twice as many chances to mock political morons. Username: blackwater48 | On: August 17, 2010 at 12:14 p.m.


YES someone understands me !

August 17, 2010 at 4:44 p.m.
FM_33 said...

To all hunters who kill animals for food, shame on you!!

You ought to go to the store and buy the meat that was made there, where no animals were harmed.

Source: An actual reader opinion offered in a San Francisco newspaper.

Yeah...I know it has nothing to do with today's subject, but it was too good not to share... Username: alprova | On: August 17, 2010 at noon


Which paper was it in ?

Fact find Time !

August 17, 2010 at 4:45 p.m.
FM_33 said...

Last week's straw poll had the three top possible nominees tied at 23% apiece. They were Romney, Palin, and Huckabee."

How depressing. Username: Sailorman | On: August 17, 2010 at 11:45 a.m.


Two out of the three of them might go all the way and run for the president of the USA.

Those two are Romney / Huckabee

Palin will run for the US.Senate !

.....sorry to bust your bubble Dems but you all should see that by now your self.

August 17, 2010 at 4:50 p.m.
FM_33 said...

I cannot wait until the Chattanooga Tea Party turns in their numbers at the end of the month. Username: Tax_Payer | On: August 17, 2010 at 9:22 a.m.


What you mean the membership numbers ?

August 17, 2010 at 4:52 p.m.
FM_33 said...

Tax_Payer wrote: "I cannot wait until the Chattanooga Tea Party turns in their numbers at the end of the month."


Do you mean all 530 of them? Username: alprova | On: August 17, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.


LOL....you mean Alprova 530 .......now time for the break down.

10 Core member's

320 Law enforcement Informents

200 undercover officers

= 530 total


August 17, 2010 at 4:56 p.m.
FM_33 said...

The Republican party has cornered the market on this class of people. This Country will move forward. Always has,always will.

Dewayne Callahan East Ridge Username: dewey60 | On: August 17, 2010 at 4:55 p.m.


Hey Dewey i missed you yesterday man was i ready to ask you....

what do you think about Obama being with the building of a 911 mosque in the area of the 911 site for the victims.

August 17, 2010 at 5 p.m.
Sailorman said...

Here ya go FM

Appeared in the January 4, 2009, Kankakee Daily Journal

http://daily-journal.com/news/search/?query=To%20all%20you%20hunters%20who%20kill%20animals%20for%20food

4th entry down

great find Al

August 17, 2010 at 5:03 p.m.
FM_33 said...

Bro Dewey where are you in the hour of president Obama need ?

August 17, 2010 at 5:03 p.m.
FM_33 said...

My Grandmother, God rest her soul, used a phrase that has stuck with me all of my life.

"The truth will stand when the world is on fire." Username: alprova | On: August 17, 2010 at 10:03 a.m.


Amen

August 17, 2010 at 5:05 p.m.
FM_33 said...

To FM_33 poster.

I think everyone is in agreement that it is in BAD taste for the Muslim people to try this. Username: dewey60 | On: August 17, 2010 at 5:06 p.m.


Wow i agreed with every word in that post and it is a post that you should send to Obama and Michelle up on the hill.

August 17, 2010 at 5:12 p.m.
FM_33 said...

Dewey60 i have heard that Obama is a Far Left Socialist...is this true or false ?

August 17, 2010 at 5:14 p.m.
FM_33 said...

I heard that Obama was part of a far left group by the name of the " Socialist New Party " and this party was a group that was to become part of the DNC and then make it very far left which is what they did.

The " Apollo Allianace " is another shadowy group that was part of his Chicago connection into the far left as well !

Ever head of either group Dewey ?

August 17, 2010 at 6:28 p.m.
FM_33 said...

FM_33

You explain to me what he has done to be a far left socialist? If you start with Healthcare you will lose with me,but give it a try.

Dewayne Callahan East Ridge Username: dewey60 | On: August 17, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.


But Dewey60 you you must admitt that his health care plan is based on the socialist frame work and would work much better if America's population was why under 150.000 million people.

August 17, 2010 at 6:32 p.m.
FM_33 said...

keep telling people not to vote republican. Years from now they will look back at this time and say how dumb were those people. You know the crowd,hide behind religion to cover their racism and just downright being dumb. Dewayne Callahan East Ridge Username: dewey60 | On: August 17, 2010 at 4:55 p.m.


Dewey60 both the DEMS/GOP have hid behind religion and have done all kinds of acts of racism and violence toward people of any color who would not agree with there agendas and what not.

August 17, 2010 at 6:41 p.m.
mmlj said...

A very divisive cartoon accusing the opposing party of divisive aims. That's somewhat like boasting of your humility.

August 17, 2010 at 8:38 p.m.
ITguy said...

This is how I interpret this cartoon:

Regarding health care reform Jim Demint said "If we’re able to stop Obama on this it will be his Waterloo. It will break him,".

In reply, Obama said “This isn’t about me. This isn’t about politics. This about a health care system that is breaking America’s families, breaking America’s businesses and breaking America’s economy. And we can’t afford the politics of delay and defeat when it comes to health care. Not this time, not now. There are too many lives and livelihoods at stake.”

And this link regarding the practice of placing secret holds on Obama's nominations.

http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/2010/05/secret_holds.html

Jim Demint should be charged with treason.

August 17, 2010 at 9:04 p.m.
Oz said...
August 17, 2010 at 9:56 p.m.
blackwater48 said...

FM_33 thinks Obama is a socialist.

I'd bet a dollar FM doesn't know the difference between fascism, socialism, communism, theocracy, democracy, or benevolent despotism.

Okay, FM_33, since you share former President Bush's breathtaking lack of intellectual curiosity, here are a few highlights of the death of America, also known colloquially as "ObamaCare."

Up to 4 million small businesses are already eligible for tax credits to help them provide insurance to workers.

(I thought the Republic Party loved tax credits!)

  • Medicare enrollees who hit the “doughnut hole” — a gap in Medicare prescription drug coverage — receive a $250 rebate.

(I thought the Republic Party loved rebates!)

  • Young adults up to age 26 can stay on their parents’ plan, unless they are offered insurance at work.

  • Insurers no longer can impose lifetime dollar limits on essential benefits.

(Health insurance executives deserve those million$ and million$.)

  • Starting in 2014, if your employer doesn’t offer insurance, you will be able to buy insurance directly through an exchange, an insurance marketplace where individuals and small businesses can buy health plans that must meet certain cost and benefits standards.

(I'm sure Hitler, Stalin, Ivan the Terrible, and Vlad the Impaler are all laughing in hell!)

The information is out there, FM, and it isn't hard to find. All you need is the gumption to learn all the facts and decide for yourself.

I couldn't find anything about "Death Panels." Maybe you'll have better luck.

August 17, 2010 at 10:26 p.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.