Prosecutors on Monday dismissed murder charges against a 29-year-old man in a 2015 slaying, saying they wouldn't be able to overcome his self-defense argument if the case went to trial this week as planned.
Cordarius Robinson's attorneys said the 29-year-old acted out of self-defense when he shot and killed Timothy Harris in his Olive Street driveway, and part of their strategy involved painting Harris, 47, as the first aggressor through his criminal record.
Though prosecutors initially fought that tactic, saying any mention of Harris' decades-old child rape and assault charges would hurt their case, they changed course after a judge ruled last week that defense attorneys could open the door.
"Based on that [defense argument] and the state's inability to rebut self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt, we are moving to dismiss," prosecutor Leslie Longshore said.
The announcement came a day before Robinson was scheduled to stand trial in Hamilton County Criminal Court on charges of second-degree murder and employing a firearm during a dangerous felony.