* Year established: Mauldin & Jenkins began in 1918 in Albany, Georgia, and entered the Chattanooga market in 2013 when it merged with Hazlett, Lewis & Bieter, LLC, a Chattanooga accounting firm started in 1943.
* Employees: 373 employees companywide, including 50 employees in Chattanooga
* Milestones: Mauldin & Jenkins has won the Best Places to Work award for three consecutive years in Chattanooga. Through the pandemic, the accounting firm adapted how employees worked and aided consumers with Paycheck Protection Program loans and other financial needs.
In addition to on-the-job training, all new staff members attend a week-long training course detailing audit procedures and tax policies. At M&J, employees attend week-long training courses that correspond to their staff level, including courses in audit, tax, advisory, business, management, leadership, and soft-skill topics. Mauldin & Jenkins' Associate 360 Program also is designed to allow associates an opportunity to work within a variety of the firm's industries and service lines.
* Why this is a Best Place to Work: In its employment report the company said, "We have a very good benefits package. We practice diversity and inclusion and a strong mission that is evident in the clients we serve. Our employees' love for serving our clients is the hallmark of why we should be considered one of the best places to work."
"We pride ourselves on being committed to delivering comprehensive accounting and business advisory services by the most qualified professionals in the area," M&J said in its employment report. "As a professional services provider of a wide range of traditional and advisory services to clients throughout the Southeast and nationally, we combine big-firm skills and resources with a local firm feel. There's simply no better place to work than M&J for anyone serious about growing professionally. (We) value family, community, and a healthy work/life balance. To make that possible, we offer top-notch benefits and a rewarding work environment, so we attract and retain the best and brightest talent."
* Quotable: M&J Founder Charlie Jenkins said he wanted to "build a firm that will stand the test of time" and "provide opportunities for our people." Jim Vaughn, a 23-year M&J employee who heads the firm's Chattanooga office, says Jenkins "believed, and I think Mauldin & Jenkins has embraced, that quality work should always come first, and you hire quality people to do that."
* How these Best Places to Work made the list
* Best Places to Work 2022: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Chattanooga
* Best Places to Work 2022: Cempa Community Care
* Best Places to Work 2022: Colonial Chemical, Inc.
* Best Places to Work 2022: InfoSystems
* Best Places to Work 2022: Market Street Partners
* Best Places to Work 2022: Pinnacle Financial Partners
* Best Places to Work 2022: Reliance Partners
* Best Places to Work 2022: Steam Logistics
* Best Places to Work 2022: StratusGrid
* Best Places to Work 2022: Tennessee American Water
* Best Places to Work 2022: Text Request
* Best Places to Work 2022: Warren & Griffin P.C.