Cleveland flea market owner mulls future after weekend fire destroys iconic local business

Overloaded extension cords believed to have started blaze

A weekend fire in Cleveland, Tennessee, destroyed a popular flea market and fireworks stand that stood off U.S. Highway 64 for more than four decades.

The blaze that reduced the iconic Howard's Fireworks and flea market to rubble on Saturday and claimed about $100,000 worth of fireworks was an electrical fire, Bradley County fire officials said Monday. The structure was a total loss.

Bradley County fire investigators made the determination through eyewitness accounts and evidence from the scene, Bradley County Emergency Management Agency spokesman Adam Lewis said Monday in a news release.

"It has been determined that the cause of the fire was electrical due to overloading and excessive use of extension cords," Lewis said. "The scene has been released back to the property owner with no other investigations pending."