Man, firefighter hospitalized after Chattanooga house burns for several hours Friday

Chattanooga Fire Department / A house fire in the in 3500 block of Parkway Drive is seen Friday.

One man and a firefighter were injured Friday as a large house burned for several hours in the 3500 block of Parkway Drive, according to the Chattanooga Fire Department.

Multiple fire companies arrived on the scene after 2 p.m. and found heavy fire and smoke coming out of the house and fire on all three stories. Firefighters were able to make good progress on the fire in about 15 minutes, but the flames quickly spread to the attic. Firefighters faced difficulty putting out hot spots, and the burning of the stairs prevented crews from maneuvering. The attic began to fall apart, so firefighters used aerial tactics to extinguish the flames, a news release states.

A man suffered head and leg injuries from jumping out of a window to escape the burning home and was transported to a local hospital. A firefighter suffered shoulder injuries and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

The cause of the fire will be investigated.

Apartment complex fire

Firefighters responded to a second call at 3:26 p.m. on Cypress Street Court, where a small electrical fire was found in the attic of an apartment in a complex. Responders saw light smoke and evacuated nine residents. The fire was quickly extinguished, according to a news release.

No injuries were reported.

— Compiled by Kim Sebring