Forecasts call for warm and sunny days in the Chattanooga area after remnants of Tropical Storm Harvey blow through this evening.
"Sunday and Monday look spectacular," Eric Holweg, meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Morristown, Tenn., said. "It should be beautiful."
Today's forecast, however, is a little wet and windy.
On Thursday, WRCB Chief Meteorologist Paul Barys predicted between one-half and three-quarters of an inch of rain for Chattanooga.
"Highs [today] will be in the low to mid-70s with gusty south winds," Barys said. "Saturday will see a mix of sun and clouds with just a few light showers, especially north of the city."
Labor Day weekend forecast
FRIDAYMostly cloudyRain: 60 percent chance, dropping to 40 percent at night; showers likely and thunderstorms possibleHighs: mid- to upper 70s.Lows: lower 60s.SATURDAYPartly sunnyRain: 30 percent chance of showers during the day.Highs: mid- to upper 70s.Lows: upper 50s.SUNDAYSunnyHighs: low- 80sLows: upper 50s.MONDAYSunnyHighs: lower to mid-80sLows: lower 60s.Source: National Weather Service
Tuesday and Wednesday will see chances for showers returning, but they will have nothing to do with Harvey, Barys added.
While Southeast Tennessee was expected to see just over an inch of rain between Thursday and today, things look rougher the farther west you go, according to the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency. The weather system could dump between four and eight inches of rain on West Tennessee and soak Middle Tennessee with 4 1/2 inches of precipitation, prompting flash flood watches and the activation of the Tennessee Emergency Operations Center in Nashville.
The Tennessee Emergency Management Agency said emergency operations staff remained "in elevated and ready mode" to help local governments with "any life-saving measures" and other needs requests.
The state's swift-water search and rescue teams, deployed Wednesday, have reached College Station, Texas, to assist with emergency operations underway in the wake of Hurricane Harvey's devastating floodwater, the agency said.
Tropical storms that hit the Texas coastline don't always make their way to the Tennessee Valley, Holweg said.
This tropical depression - a side effect of the brutal hurricane that inundated Houston with more than 48 inches of rain - is taking a little different path than Texas coastal storms normally take, he said. Tropical storms usually pull northward after making landfall on the Texas coast before sliding northeast.
Forecasters attribute Harvey's northeasterly push to "ambient" weather conditions surrounding the diminishing storm, not the severity of its long-lasting fury, Holweg said.
"Harvey was unusual because it stalled over the Gulf Coast, allowing it to gather more moisture and create huge rainfalls on land," he said.
Hurricane season runs from June through November, with the peak hitting in early September, Holweg said.
Looking ahead, there's a chance the Tennessee Valley could see some fallout from Hurricane Irma, which now churns away in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, Barys said. At this time, there are too many variables to determine how it will play out.
"It looks like it's going to be one humdinger of a storm," Barys said.
Contact staff writer Paul Leach at 423-757-6481 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @pleach_tfp.
Tennesseans who want to assist with disaster relief efforts may visit the Harvey Disaster Relief page at www.tn.gov/governor/article/harvey-disaster-relief.Texas charitable organizationsHouston Food Bank: www.houstonfoodbank.orgFood Bank of Corpus Christi: www.foodbankcc.comHouston Humane Society: www.houstonhumane.orgSan Antonio Humane Society: https://sahumane.org/Charity Navigator (www.charitynavigator.org) lists other nonprofits on its Hurricane Harvey resource page.Source: Tennessee Emergency Management Agency
- FEMA insurance chief: Harvey losses could top $11 billion
- Harvey's flooding blamed in major gasoline spill in Texas
- Harvey and Irma to slow U.S. economy but rebound should follow
- U.S. House to vote on $7.9 billion Harvey relief bill
- Immigrants are sought for labor shortage in Harvey recovery
- Shelter dogs displaced by Hurricane Harvey arrive in Chattanooga [photos]
- Mnuchin: Congress must tie Harvey aid to raising debt limit
- Harvey's floodwaters mix a foul brew of sewage, chemicals
- Houston's homeless shrug off riding out Harvey on streets
- As Harvey finally fizzles, a look at what made it so nasty
- 3 tornadoes in Tennessee blamed on Harvey
- Upbeat Trump pitches in at shelter for Harvey victims
- Trump asks for $7.9 billion down payment for Harvey relief
- As floodwaters recede, Houston officials look to recovery [photos, interactives]
- 'Don't touch me. I'm dying.' Harrowing Harvey stories emerge [photos, interactives]
- Local animal shelters open doors for furry flood victims from Texas, Louisiana
- Likely tornado damages homes as Harvey hits Deep South [photos, interactives]
- Gas prices rise after Harvey reduces flow from refineries, pipeline [photos, interactives]
- Forecasters predict sunny Labor Day after Harvey's remnants blow through
- Grim reality in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey: More dead [photos, interactives]
- Harvey horror: Shivering girl, 3, clinging to her drowned mom
- Team made up of local emergency responders heads to Houston
- Texas chemical plant poised to explode amid Harvey flood
- Floodwaters drop across much of Houston; death toll at 20
- Western Louisiana in crosshairs as Harvey moves back to land [photos, interactives]
- Forecast brings hope as new shelters open, death toll rises [photos]
- Trump reassures those in Harvey's path that he will help [photos]
- Here are some ways to help victims of Hurricane Harvey
- Bracing for Harvey's return, worry renews: Is worst to come? [photos, interactives]
- Sohn: What lessons will we learn from Harvey?
- Chattanooga medical teams, volunteers aid Hurricane Harvey relief efforts
- More rain, more deaths: Harvey floods keeps Houston paralyzed
- Harvey slams region's economy, with damages in the billions
- Trump issues emergency declaration for Harvey in Louisiana
- Tennessee organization starts Harvey relief fund
- Desperate Harvey victims turn to social media to get rescued
- $3 billion disaster balance enough for immediate Harvey response
- A Houston family endured Harvey until the house was swamped
- Scientists say Harvey may be the soggy sign of future storms
- Residents in photo of flooded nursing home are 'doing fine'
- Photo of mother and baby's rescue becomes symbol of storm
- Public health dangers loom in Harvey-hit areas
- Officials act to protect downtown Houston from Harvey floods
- Harvey dilemma: Stay as water rises or risk flooded roads?
- Harvey spins deeper inland; full scope of damage is unknown
- Hurricane Harvey closes key oil, gas operations in Texas
- Houston roads start to flood as Harvey stalls
- Expert: Harvey weakened fast, but destruction just beginning
- Fearsome Hurricane Harvey slams into Texas Gulf Coast
- Menacing Harvey knocking on Texas coast as Category 4 storm
- Texas prepares as Harvey strengthens to Category 2 storm [interactive]
- Sandbags, plywood, generators: Texas coast braces for Harvey
The Real Deal Snow
The Real Deal Snow Photo Photos by David.L