More election results
- Bill Lee wins GOP primary
- District 8 narrowest of five school board races
- Hamilton County Commission voting results trickle in
- Blackburn, Bredesen advance in Senate race
- Dean wins Democratic primary in governor's race
- Yusuf Hakeem takes early lead in state House race
- Hill leading Henry in District 6 school board race
- Mason leads Helton early in House 30
- Incumbent Jim Hammond leading Hamilton County Sheriff race
- Smith ahead of Hurley in District 3 school board race
- Coppinger leading Brown in early results
- Marc Gravitt takes lead in Register of Deeds race after early voting results come in
The Hamilton County Board of Education will get two new members next month after a political newcomer claimed the only open seat up for election Thursday night and a two-term incumbent lost.
Jenny Hill beat opponent Michael Henry for the District 6 seat held by board member Joe Galloway, who decided not to seek reelection.
"I am really excited about what it means that District 6 has decided so completely that they are ready to put every student first in Hamilton County," Hill said. "What we know is that people in District 6 care a great deal about public education and they want better for their children and for all children in Hamilton County."
Jenny Hill, 39, who co-owns Papercut Interactive with her husband and whose two children attend Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences, defeated Michael Henry 4,154 to 1,557.
"What we know is that people in District 6 care a great deal about public education and they want better for their children and for all children in Hamilton County," Hill said.
Hill ran on a platform advocating for better school maintenance plans, a full audit of Hamilton County facilities and multi-year budgeting.
Henry, 28, who tried to capitalize on UnifiEd's unofficial support for Hill, is a marketing consultant. He touted his experience working in some Hamilton County schools through his graduate assistantship at UTC in his campaign for the seat.
Henry declined to comment on the results.
Contact staff writer Meghan Mangrum at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-757-6592. Follow her on Twitter @memangrum.