Staff Photo by Allison Kwesell/Chattanooga Times Free Press Vern McLaughlin, left, and Michael Blair with Blair Construction work on framing the attic of a house at Brock Point housing development near Collegedale.
Name: Brock Pointe
* Location: Located off of Standifer Gap, a quarter mile past Jenkins Road, in East Brainerd
* Home prices: Low $200,000’s to $800,000
* Status: About 12 homes sold; six under construction
* Developer: A&M Construction
* Listing agents: Billy Weathers (423) 894-2000, Lea Ann Williams (423) 595-5678 and Leigh Ann Bachus (423) 504-8686 all of RE/MAX properties
* Key points: The Volkswagen plant under construction and the new East Hamilton School could help spur business for Brock Pointe despite the current housing market.
Billy Weathers, RE/MAX real estate agent for the development, said the new plant might help sales.
“Prosperity breeds prosperity,” Mr. Weathers said, adding that people realize that they are investing in a growing, vibrant community. “I think Chattanooga is going to boom.”
With Volkswagen’s arrival, Mr. Weathers said he sees the project lasting three to four years with several phases.
Another catalyst right now might be the Homebuyers Tax Credit that expires later this year. “An $8,000 tax credit is a huge credit on people’s 2010 taxes,” said Leigh Ann Bachus, a listing agent for the development, adding that it creates an extra incentive for some people to buy.
The agents also remain optimistic that the development will do well.
“Every business has its challenges, but you learn to work within them,” Mr. Weathers said.