* Baylor: Jacob Huesman picked up 197 yards on 15 carries including an 84-yard run for a touchdown as the Red Raiders moved to 5-0 and 3-0 in Division II-Middle/East.
* Bledsoe County: Michael Gibbons pulled in 11 passes for 155 yards and three TDs as the Warriors picked up their first district win with a 39-7 victory at Notre Dame.
* Boyd-Buchanan: The Bucs’ 32-0 win over Grace Academy was as much a team offensive effort as they have had all season but Clayton Parker, who’s playing more and more at quarterback, rushed for one TD and passed for another.
* Bradley Central: Bryce Copeland threw a 33-yard pass to James Stovall to lift the Bears to a 28-24 come-from-behind victory over upset-minded Rhea County. Copeland completed nine of 16 passes as Bradley moved to 4-1.
* Brainerd: Quarterback William Hughes passed for 163 yards, completing eight of 12 passes with no interceptions, but the Panthers fell 20-14 in overtime to East Ridge.
* Central: Linebacker Nick Timoshuck was credited with seven solo tackles and a pass defensed in the Purple Pounders’ 17-7 win over Hixson. The win allowed Central to even its 6-AA record at 1-1.
* Chattanooga Christian: Jared Swafford completed 28 of 47 passes for 247 yards and a TD but the Chargers were outscored 40-26 in a key District 7-AA game.
* Cleveland: Chad Voytik redeemed a second-quarter safety he allowed to McMinn County. He was called for intentional grounding in the Blue Raiders’ end zone by throwing for a two-point conversion and then scoring the winning TD on a 15-yard run with 22 seconds left. The victory boosted Cleveland to a 2-0 District 5-AAA record.
* Copper Basin: Eric Sisson accounted for three of the Cougars’ five TDs – on rushes of 1 and 38 yards and on a 22-yard pass to Joey Buchanan – in a 35-0 win over District 5-A rival Silverdale Baptist.
* Dade County: David Page scored on runs of 54 and 25 yards in a 16-0 shutout win over Armuchee.
* Dalton: Tre Beck was held out of the end zone but picked up 137 yards on 12 carries as the Catamounts outlasted Allatoona 21-17
* East Hamilton: Chad Patterson had 13 tackles but the Hurricanes were overwhelmed by Tyner 41-3 in a District 6-AA game.
* East Ridge: Playing on a still-tender ankle, Chase Steele opened and closed the scoring as the Pioneers bested District 6-AA rival Brainerd 20-14 in overtime.
* Grace Academy: Quarterback Josh Smith was limited to two completions but he did pick up 71 rushing yards in the Golden Eagles’ 32-0 loss to Boyd-Buchanan.
* Heritage: Jake Sampson rushed for 52 yards and passed for 160 as the Generals moved to 3-1 with a 36-29 win over Pickens County.
* Howard: Darrion Roshell pulled in one of two Thomas McCaulay TD passes for it was his 33-yard run in the fourth quarter that lifted the Tigers to a 26-21 win over defending 6-AA champ Red Bank.
* LaFayette: His night was cut short — only one series in the second half – or Devarus Porter might have had state record numbers. Porter had 15 rushes for 201 yards and three TDs and added one reception for a 10-yard TD in the Ramblers’ 47-7 win over Murray County.
N Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe: Daniel Deocampo scored twice and Bubba Cruz rushed 12 times for 113 yards but the winless Warriors fell 38-15 to Gordon Central.
* Lookout Valley: Terrance Marbuy’s four-TD night – runs of 71, 7, 3 and 8 – gave the Yellow Jackets their first win of the year. Marbury finished with 244 yards on 16 carries.
* Marion County: Caden Shadrick threw a 47-yard TD pass to Brandon Gibbs just 15 seconds before halftime as the Warriors bested Grundy County 14-7.
* McCallie: Trent Lusk passed for 243 yards and the Blue Tornado rolled up 414 yards to 362 for host Ensworth but Ensworth won 35-14, scoring 21 unanswered points over the final 15 minutes.
* McMinn Central: Quarterback Calvin Walker got loose on a 46-yard run but the Chargers dropped their fifth straight in a 23-12 district loss to Meigs County.
* McMinn County: Nathan Simbeck picked up 105 yards on eight carries but the Cherokees fell 29-22 to Cleveland and dropped to 0-1 in District 5-AAA.
* Meigs County: Steven Cronnon had 13 tackles including three tackles for loss and added a fumble recovery as the Tigers ended their winless streak at four with a 23-12 win over McMinn Central.
* North Jackson: Kahne Cooper broke open a tight game (10-0) with a 78-yard pass reception from Zac Barnard as the Chiefs moved to 4-0 with a 24-6 win over Guntersville.
* Northwest Whitfield:
* Notre Dame: Shaqualm McCoy rushed 13 times for 82 yards but the Irish fell to Bledsoe County 39-7.
* Polk County: Jared Allen scored the Wildcats’ first three TDs and averaged 25.7 yards on six carries in a lopsided48-19 5-AA win over Sweetwater.
* Red Bank: Niquia McDuffie completed seven of 19 passes and endured an interception but two of his seven completions went for TDs (Delvantez Slay, Kameno Watson) in a 26-61 loss to Howard.
* Rhea County: Cameron Tallent threw for 319 yards and three touchdowns but the Golden Eagles failed to hold on after building a 14-0 lead and lost 28-24 to Bradley Central.
* Ridgeland: Paul Watson scored Ridgeland’s first TD (a 97-yard run) and the Panthers rolled to a 35-10 victory over Gilmer County. Watson finished with 165 yards on just six carries (27.5 ypc).
* Ringgold: Mark Fairbanks gained 159 yards on 14 carries but Justin Gregory scored the Tigers’ only TD in their first loss of the season, a 28-7 setback at Cartersville.
* Sequatchie County: Hunter Lewis was a workhorse for the Indians, rushing 24 times for 327 yards and a TD in their 40-26 victory over Chattanooga Christian.
* Signal Mountain: Hogan Whitmire had a season-low passing showing (11-22) but perhaps his best game (220 yards and three passing TDs, one rushing TD for the winning score) as the Eagles went to South Pittsburg and won 40-36.
* Silverdale Baptist: Spencer Shamblin picked up 57 yards on 14 carries but the Seahawks were shutout by Copper Basin 35-0 in a key District 5-A game.
* Soddy-Daisy: Operating well behind a beefy offensive line, Cedric Edwards rushed for 245 yards on 19 carries and scored three touchdowns as the Trojans bullied Walker Valley 41-13.
* South Pittsburg: Raquis Hale rushed for 157 yards on 20 carries but was limited to just one TD in the Pirates’ 40-36 loss to Signal Mountain.
* Trion: Austin McGraw picked up two TDs and a two-point conversion in the Bulldogs’ 20-7 win over Mt. Paran. McGraw finished with 82 yards on 11 carries.
* Tyner: Julian Stubbs had just one carry but stretched it for 88 yards and a TD in the Rams’ 41-3 District 6-AA win over East Hamilton.
* Walker Valley: Kelvin Wells returned a kickoff 75 yards for the Mustangs in their 41-13 loss to Soddy-Daisy.
* Whitwell: Cole Tucker scored two TDs but the Tigers lost to Lookout Valley 41-20 in a District 6-A game.
Ward Gossett is an assistant sports editor and writer for the Times Free Press. Ward has a long history in Chattanooga journalism. He actually wrote a bylined story for the Chattanooga News-Free Press as a third-grader. He Began working part-time there in 1968 and was hired full time in 1970. Ward now covers high school athletics, primarily football, wrestling and baseball and University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling. Over a 40-year career, he has covered ...