• Warren Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church, 503 N. Market St.; 4 p.m. Sunday; black history concert, "How I Got Over It," features Christians for Reel, Mount Eagle Baptist Church choir, Dance Time, Kiana Billings, T-Ran and host choir; 267-4992.
•New Monumental Baptist Church, 901 Woodmore Lane; 7 p.m. Friday; black history program features guests Zandra C. Steele Wilkins of Knoxville, deacon Keith Madison of Chattanooga, Daphane Penn of Atlanta and the Rev. Jamal Morris of Chattanooga as well as music by Doris Jackson Amos of Atlanta and the Rev. Kenneth Scaife of Dalton, Ga. (reception follows); 629-6106, 899-2881 or 344-5521.
• Hamilton County Baptist Association, 508 N. Market St.; 10 a.m.-noon Wednesday; seminar, "Financial Issues Facing Churches and Ministers," intended for treasurers, financial and personnel committees, administrative church employees or any financial support planning persons; no registration necessary; 267-3794.
• New Covenant Fellowship, 1326 N. Moore Road; 6-9 p.m. Friday (registration, 5:30 p.m.) and 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 26; Crown Financial Ministries Money Map Seminar offers multimedia instruction by Dave Scobey that combines biblical principles of money management with practical applications; $25; registration deadline Sunday; 1-800-722-1976 or www.crown.org/CrownEvents.
• Oakwood Community Church, 3927 Webb Road; 6 p.m. Sunday; Southern gospel singing features Hope for Tomorrow Trio, The Drivers and Eva Pelfrey; 903-3652.
• Salvation Army Corps 614, 800 McCallie Ave.; 7 p.m. Friday; stories and songs by singer/songwriter Andrew Osenga is initial Arts Outreach event offered by the Corps to help bridge the homeless and artistic communities; $5 students/Corps 614 community, $10 all others; 756-1023.
• Chattanooga State Community College, 4501 Amnicola Highway (Humanities Theatre); 11 a.m. Wednesday; "A Musical Journey Through the African-American Experience" features the school's Singing Tigers spotlighting the influence, energy and traditions associated with black musical culture; free; 697-2482 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• B'nai Zion Congregation, 114 McBrien Road; 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 26; public Havdalah service led by guest soloists Joseph and Lynn Goldovitz, followed by dessert and shavuah tov concert; $9; reservations, 894-8900 or e-mail email@example.com.
• First Baptist Church, 401 Gateway Ave.; noon Thursday; monthly luncheon of Scenic City Women's Network features message on "A New Creature in Christ" by Hope Job Support Ministry founder Pat Harrington; $10 members, $12 visitors; reservations deadline Tuesday; 698-6262 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Chattanooga Aglow, home of member Genendal Fratanuono; 6:30 p.m. Friday; monthly gathering includes "Sound of the Lord" DVD by Ray Hughes from group's national conference; 697-9866 or 332-9715.
• Avery Trace Middle School, 230 Raider Drive, Cookeville, Tenn.; 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. CST Saturday, March 5; Upper Cumberland Women's Conference features author and ministry leader Denise Hildreth of Franklin, Tenn., as speaker, plus music and breakout sessions on biblical fitness, prayer, experiencing victory in crisis, parenting, exercise and nutrition; $35 (includes lunch); 931-526-6077 or www.uppercumberlandwomensconference.com
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...
related articles »
• Faith Connection Church, 6857 Mountain View Road, Ooltewah; 10:30 a.m. Sundays, Dec. 1-22; Christmas Around the World services; free; ...
• New City Fellowship, 2412 E. Fourth St.; 1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 22; preview for Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University ...
* St. Alban's Episcopal Church, 7514 Hixson Pike; 10:30 a.m. Sunday; St. Alban's Day celebration includes worship service, potluck cookout ...