• Name: A Cut Above Salon
• Location: 5177 Ooltewah-Ringgold Road
• Contact: Co-owner Sheryl Vincent, 423-396-6505
• Products: Hair styling, perms, colors, cuts and waxings for men, women and children
• Age: Opened Sept. 1
• Startup investment: Several stylists worked in the area before and already had a lot of equipment, helping limit costs. Vincent expects the total investment will reach between $25,000 and $30,000.
• Target market: Families
• Biggest hurdle: Letting customers know about the new business. Vincent is new to the area, so she has to develop a client base and history with Chattanoogans looking for hair cuts. Several of the other stylists are working to get customers they worked with at previous salons into the new storefront. "We're all just trying to get everybody familiar with the new location," Vincent said.
• Biggest reward: Developing relationships with new customers. Co-owner Pearl Walden Day said her goal is to offer customers a state-of-the-art salon and a quality experience. "We want to please the customers," she said. "They become like your best friends, or we become like their best friends, and you get a close relationship with them."
• Lesson learned: Location is important, and advertising that location is even more important. Vincent and Day said it's been difficult to get customers in the door simply because it's tough to reach prospective clients.
• Five-year goal: Expand the hair studio to a full-service salon with massage therapy, nail and skin care service.
-- Compiled by Carey O'Neil. If you know of a new business opening in the area, contact Carey O'Neil at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-757-6525.
related articles »
With her own salon, Davis is able to offer classes to aspiring stylists. One of the things she loves about ...
Rossville resident April Nerren dreamed of opening a hair salon since childhood.
Jessie James Hair Studio in Hixson is offering clients a unique and free way to get together with friends while ...