• Name: UTC Library, but the naming rights are available.
• Description: A new library, study space and cafe to serve the growing UTC student population
• Location: The five-story building will be located at the corner of Vine and Douglas streets downtown, adjacent to the rest of the UTC campus. Entrances will be installed off Vine and Douglas streets, as well as from the former Chamberlain field, which will remain an open green space.
• Status: Workers have relocated the site’s utilities and have graded the site. Builders have poured the structure’s foundations, as well as several reinforcing walls that also serve as foundations. The balance of the heavy construction will consist of rebar-reinforced concrete framing, then completion of the interior.
• Cost: $48 million
• Completion: The library is scheduled for completion by spring 2013, and should be fully furnished by fall of that same year.
• Features: The building’s ground floor is slated to be home to the library’s stacks, collection and circulation desks. The floor will also house a 24-hour study space, and a cafe. The second floor, or “information commons,” will feature a number of computers for students to study and complete classwork. The rest of the floors are a combination of group study space, classrooms and an academic support center for faculty members. The top floors will also house a university archive, a special collections exhibit and a grand reading room.
• Quote: “Of course, all floors will have a lot of student study space and general hang out space,” said Janet Spraker, director of engineering services for UTC.
• Builders: Rentenbach Constructors
Ellis Smith joined the Chattanooga Times Free Press in January 2010 as a business reporter. His beat includes the flooring industry, Chattem, Unum, Krystal, the automobile market, real estate and technology. Ellis is from Marietta, Ga., and has a bachelor’s degree in mass communication at the University of West Georgia. He previously worked at UTV-13 News, Carrollton, Ga., as a producer; at the The West Georgian, Carrollton, Ga., as editor; and at the Times-Georgian, Carrollton, ...
related articles »
The team members of Idea Channel, a group of Urban Design Challenge participants tasked with presenting an idea to revamp ...
Workers have completed major construction on a new $37 million library at UTC, a building designed to anchor what will ...
Construction recently began, so work crews are still in the early stages of preparing the building for classes.
The property encompasses a large warehouse on the Southside that takes up most of the block between Williams and Cowart ...