• Name: Wacker Institute, a facility at Chattanooga State Community College
• Location: 4325 Amnicola Highway, the former shipping department and warehouse for photography company Olan Mills.
• Status: Construction recently began, so work crews are still in the early stages of preparing the building for classes. Workers have sprayed foam insulation into the roof, cut trenches in the ground for new plumbing and have demolished much of the existing interior. Builders must complete a chemical lab facility, a resource library, computer lab and classrooms. To outfit the rooms properly, workers will run gas piping and electrical lines for the laboratory equipment.
• Completion date: January 2012
• Price: Chattanooga State Community College purchased the 15-acre Olan Mills property for $6.85 million, and the total project will cost about $13.2 million. Wacker Chemical has agreed to contribute $3 million to the cost of the training center.
• Features: The 17,242-square-foot facility will support an occupancy of 165 in two labs, two chemical safety labs, a computer lab, a library and restrooms. Floors are carpet and vinyl tile, as well as ceramic tile in restrooms.
• Builders: J & J Contractors
• Contact: 697-2496
Ellis Smith joined the Chattanooga Times Free Press in January 2010 as a business reporter. His beat includes the flooring industry, Chattem, Unum, Krystal, the automobile market, real estate and technology. Ellis is from Marietta, Ga., and has a bachelor’s degree in mass communication at the University of West Georgia. He previously worked at UTV-13 News, Carrollton, Ga., as a producer; at the The West Georgian, Carrollton, Ga., as editor; and at the Times-Georgian, Carrollton, ...