• Baylor: Matthew Oellerich threw for a game-winning TD (80 yards to Deosha McColley) with five minutes left and ran for two more scores as the Red Raiders moved to 4-0 with a 23-16 win at Montgomery Bell Academy.
• Boyd-Buchanan: Chase Reed iced the game with a 15-yard run, his second score of the night, with 1:15 to play as the Buccaneers got their fourth win without a loss, 20-12 over Howard. Reed finished with 118 yards on 20 carries.
• Bradley Central: Out of the headlines the last couple of weeks, Justin Houston returned for a 157-yard rushing night (10 carries) and three TDs as the Bears rolled past East Hamilton 42-7.
• Central: Niko Timoshchuk scored the Pounders' only TD on a 9-yard run and turned in a quality defensive showing but they fell to Cleveland 12-7.
• Chattanooga Christian: Levi Corbett ran for 62 yards and passed for 199 and two TDs but the Chargers fell to Polk County 38-21.
• Cleveland: David Morgan's 5-yard run less than two minutes into the final quarter proved the difference as the Blue Raiders posted a 12-7 victory over Central to pick up their first win of the year.
• Dalton: Tre Bonds rushed six times for 154 yards and a TD as the Catamounts swamped Gilmer County 35-7.
• East Hamilton: Logan Jackson turned in his third straight 100-yard rushing effort, picking up 122 on 19 carries in the Hurricanes' 42-7 loss to Bradley Central.
• Grundy County: Johnny Cook added three more rushing TDs to his total and picked up 163 rushing yards as the Yellowjackets doubled up Whitwell 29-14.
• Heritage: Ethan Thompson picked up 72 yards and two TDs though touching the ball only four times as the General raced past Murray County 70-0.
• Howard: LaWayne Ruffin picked up 92 hard-earned yards on 13 carries and scored a TD but the Tigers fell 20-12 to unbeaten Boyd-Buchanan.
• Hixson: Justin Mathieson had a field day -- seven rushing attempts for 216 yards and three rushing TDs, two touchdown passes and 120 passing yards, three point-after kicks and a 56-yard kickoff return--as the Wildcats rolled over Marion County 55-34.
• LaFayette: Sam Lemons turned in a 17-tackle night including two lost-yardage hits, and blocked a PAT as the Ramblers posted the school's first win ever over Cartersville.
• Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe: Daniel DeoCampo tossed a pair of TD passes but the Warriors couldn't hold a third-quarter lead and fell 29-17.
• Marion County: Matt Zeman scored three TDs and passed for 127 yards but the Warriors fell 55-34 to Hixson.
• McCallie: Kicker Arturo Rocha converted all seven of his PATs, added a 35-yard field goal and put all nine of his kickoffs into the end zone as the Blue Tornado swept past Tyner 52-13.
• Meigs County: Dakota Green picked up 158 yards and two TDs on 16 carries as the Tigers bested Silverdale Baptist 33-12.
• North Jackson: Kitt Grider had three TD passes, completing 10 of 12 passes as the Chiefs shut out DAR 55-0.
• Notre Dame: Shaqualm McCoy scored twice and ran for 203 yards in the Irish's 35-0 victory over Taft Youth Center.
• Ooltewah: Bradley Stephens tossed three TD passes and completed 25 of 41 passes for 323 yards but the Owls suffered their first loss of the year, 57-31 to Siegel.
• Polk County: Derrick Saxe scored a pair as Polk County bolted to a 38-7 lead before settling for a 38-21 victory over Chattanooga Christian. Saxe picked up 160 yards on 29 carries.
• Red Bank: Niquia McDuffie scored one TD and passed for three more, finishing with 437 yards of offense as the Lions bested Walker Valley 37-33.
• Rhea County: Chris Akina returned a fumble 15 yards for a Golden Eagles score but they lost 20-19 in overtime to Knox Bearden.
• Ringgold: Slade Dell rushed for 122 yards and scored one of the Tigers' two TDs as they posted their third win of the year without a loss by beating Pickens County 14-7.
• Sequatchie County: Eli Stout passed for just 31 yards, completing three of nine attempts, but rushed for 106 yards on 10 carries. It wasn't enough, though, as the Indians suffered their first loss, 41-14 to South Pittsburg.
• Signal Mountain: Will Queen caught five passes for 95 yards and also had a pair of TD receptions but the Eagles suffered their first loss of the year, 72-35 to Blackman.
• Silverdale Baptist: Josh Bryant scored the first of the Seahawks' two TDs on a 43-yard interception return but they fell 33-12 to Meigs County.
• South Pittsburg: Demetric Johnson scored four TDs, one on a 19-yard pass, and rushed for 209 yards as the Pirates upended previously unbeaten Sequatchie County 41-14.
• Tyner: Chandler Patrick had three lost-yardage tackles and a fumble recovery but the Rams continued to struggle, falling 52-13 to McCallie.
• Walker Valley: Kelvin Wells had three rushing touchdowns and picked up 174 yards on 22 carries but the Mustangs fell to 0-3 following a 37-33 loss to Red Bank.
Ward Gossett is an assistant sports editor and writer for the Times Free Press. Ward has a long history in Chattanooga journalism. He actually wrote a bylined story for the Chattanooga News-Free Press as a third-grader. He Began working part-time there in 1968 and was hired full time in 1970. Ward now covers high school athletics, primarily football, wrestling and baseball and University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling. Over a 40-year career, he has covered ...
related articles »
(Coaches are invited to make nominations. Email email@example.com by 2 p.m. each Sunday.)
Matthew Oellerich scored four rushing touchdowns and passed for another as the Red Raiders rallied from a 7-0 deficit for ...