Advent and Christmas events
* Abba's House, 5208 Hixson Pike; 7 p.m. today; "I'll Be Home for Christmas" concert by Rhett Walker Band and Shaun Groves; 877-6462.
* Brainerd Baptist Church, 300 Brookfield Ave.; 6 p.m. Sunday; candlelight "Keyboards at Christmas" concert; 624-2606.
* Brainerd Baptist Church, 300 Brookfield Ave.; 7:30 p.m. Tuesday; Christmas With the Metropolitan Bells concert; free but donations accepted; 899-3543; also at Christ United Methodist Church, 8645 E. Brainerd Road, 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
* Chattanooga First Seventh-day Adventist Church, 7450 Standifer Gap Road; 3 p.m. Sunday; fourth annual "Messiah" Community Sing-Along; free; 605-2468.
* Collegedale Seventh-day Adventist Church, 4855 College Drive East (Collegedale Academy auditorium); 11:30 a.m. today; musical drama, "A Baby Changes Everything"; 396-2134.
* Daisy United Methodist Church, 9508 Dayton Pike, Soddy-Daisy; 10:45 a.m. Dec. 23; choir and Blaylock Family and Friends offer "Smoky Mountain Christmas," a program of best-loved carols; free; 332-3243.
* Falling Water Baptist Church, 523 Roberts Mill Road, Hixson; 6:30 p.m. Sunday; "An Evening of Carols"; 842-5924.
* First Baptist Church, Lakeview, 10 Hudson St., Rossville, Ga.; 7 p.m. today and 6 p.m. Sunday; funny, warm musical, "The Christmas Shoe Tree"; free and donations of new or gently used shoes and monetary donations for shipping being collected for Soles4Soles; www.fbclakeview.com.
* Free Hope Baptist Church, 4176 Highway 76, Chatsworth, Ga.; 11 a.m. Dec. 23; choir cantata, "The Greatest Story of All"; 706-695-3717.
* Hickory Valley Christian Church, 6605 Shallowford Road; 6 p.m. today and Sunday; "Finding Room," original play with message that the Christmas season has become too busy and people need to slow down and focus on the reason for the season (followed by cheesecake reception); free; nursery/preschool child care provided; 892-4270.
* Jones Memorial United Methodist Church, 4131 Ringgold Road; 6 p.m. Sunday; Pioneer Christmas dinner/music celebration; $14 adults, $7 children ages 4-12; $5 child care; 624-6073.
* Lookout Baptist Church, 8645 Highway 193, High Point, Ga.; 11 a.m. Sunday; choir presentation, "Emmanuel Celebrating Heaven's Child"; 706-931-2356.
* One Accord Community Church, 343 Sweetland Drive, Red Bank; 6 p.m. Dec. 23; musical, "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"; 875-8377 or www.oneaccordcommunitychurch.org.
* Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 14950 Rhea County Highway, Evensville, Tenn.; 7 p.m. Wednesday; Advent service; 775-4253.
* Rising Fawn United Methodist Church, 3840 Highway 11, Rising Fawn, Ga.; 7 p.m. Wednesday; Blue Christmas service (preceded by 6 p.m. dinner); 706-462-2299.
* St. Francis of Assisi Episcopal Church, 7555 Ooltewah-Georgetown Road, Ooltewah; 6 p.m. Wednesday; Stations of the Nativity walk-through; 238-7708 or www.sfaec.org.
* St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 320 Broad St. NW, Cleveland, Tenn.; 7:30 p.m. Monday; concert by Tennessee Chamber Chorus, "When Old Becomes New: Christmas Through the Ages," offers Advent and Christmas music from the medieval and Renaissance eras through the 21st century from Spain, England, France, Germany, Norway, Canada, the United States and American Indians; $15-$25; www.tennessee chamberchorus.org.
* St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 305 W. Seventh St.; 12:05 p.m. Wednesday; 65th annual weekly Advent concert features Chattanooga Boys Choir ($6 lunch and/or Holy Eucharist follow); free but freewill offering welcome; 266-8195.
* Tivoli Theatre, 709 Broad St.; 7 p.m. Thursday; concert, "A Christmas Celebration," featuring Sandi Patty and Jason Crabb; $16-$31.50 (plus fees); 642-8497, sandipatty.com/tour or www.jasoncrabb.com.
* Walker County Civic Center, 10052 N. Highway 27, Rock Spring, Ga.; 10:30 a.m. Sunday; Christ First Church concert features Rhyme & Reason; 706-820-6045.
* Woodland Park Baptist Church, 6735 Standifer Gap Road; 2 p.m. today; dessert theater presentation by The ONEworship ministry of the dramatic musical "The Christmas Post"; $10 or $80 per table (all seats reserved); proceeds help fund choir, orchestra and student mission trips; 899-9185.
* Graysville United Methodist Church, 2331 Graysville Road, Ringgold, Ga.; 11 a.m. Sunday; concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; 775-2806; also at New Liberty Baptist Church, 13827 Eldridge Road, Birchwood, Tenn., 6 p.m. Sunday; Cooke Ministry Center, 714 Walter St., Athens, Tenn., 7 p.m. Friday.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...