Former Rock Spring pastor elevated
The Rev. Terry Fleming, senior pastor of First United Methodist Church in Norcross, Ga., and the onetime pastor of Rock Spring UMC, will be appointed superintendent of the Augusta District in the denomination's North Georgia Conference, according to Bishop B. Michael Watson.
His appointment will be effective July 1.
The Hogansville, Ga., attended Asbury College, Asbury Theological Seminary and Candler School of Theology and also has served Lowell UMC in Carrollton, Ga., Buchanan UMC, Pleasant Grove UMC in LaGrange, Ga., and McKendree UMC.
East Chattanooga Church of God, 4872 Jersey Pike; 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday; Friend Day Cruise-in open to all years of specialty cars, trucks and bikes (service at 10:30 a.m.); free and lunch provided; 334-2803, 834-5304, 894-7926 or www.eastchattcog.com.
* East Ridge Christian Church, 1514 Rebecca Drive; 6 p.m. Wednesdays; six-week class, "How To Study the Bible," led by Sue Massey; 697-4531 or 386-5929.
* Signal Mountain Presbyterian Church, 612 James Blvd., Signal Mountain; 9 a.m.-8 p.m. June 9 and June 15-16 or 1-8 p.m. June 10-14; browse through or take 55-minute audio tour of full-scale replica of the biblical Old Testament tabernacle; signalpres.org.
* Delray Baptist Church, 784 Steele Road, Rossville, Ga.; 10:30 a.m. Sunday; Southern gospel artists The Diplomats of Carrollton, Ga., featured in Homecoming service (lunch follows); 706-866-2752 or 423-899-8382.
* LaFayette Presbyterian Church, 107 N. Main St., LaFayette, Ga.; 6 p.m. Sunday; community concert of instrumental and vocal works by The Rosewood Trio and guest musicians (reception follows); 706-638-3932.
* Midway Baptist Church, 3593 Highway 41 North, Ringgold, Ga.; 11 a.m. Sunday; concert by Sustaining Grace Trio; 706-935-4887.
* New Haven Baptist Church, 1058 Graysville Road; 10:30 a.m. Sunday; Gold City with Jerry Pelfrey featured musicians in Homecoming celebration (lunch follows); 903-8627.
* Philadelphia Baptist, 1065 Pine Grove Road, Ringgold, Ga.; 6:30 p.m. Friday; gospel concert featuring Willow Creek Quartet and Sustaining Grace; 706-891-5683.
* Pond Hill Baptist Church, 115 County Road 220, Athens, Tenn.; 6 p.m. Sunday; gospel concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; 775-2806.
* Second Presbyterian Church, 700 Pine St.; 5 p.m. today; annual Lee Norris Mackey Memorial Concert by the Chattanooga Choral Society for the Preservation of African American Song and guests the InSpirit Men's Chorus and the Greater Atlanta Adventist Academy Choir; free but $10 suggested donation for Chattanooga Choral Society's education programs; 892-1438 or 629-2251.
* Second Presbyterian Church, 700 Pine St.; 7:30 p.m. Tuesday; summer concert by UTC Master Chorale; free; 266-2828.
* Wayside Presbyterian Church, 2502 Fairmount Pike, Signal Mountain; 6 p.m. Sunday; concert by First United Methodist Church of Wichita, Kan., Free Choir (potluck dinner follows); 886-1181.
Vacation Bible schools
* Collegedale Seventh-day Adventist Church, 4829 College Drive; 9 a.m.-noon June 11-15 and 11:45 a.m. service June 16; ages 4-13; theme: "Sky: Everything Is Possible With God"; 396-2134 or 605-1779.
* Falling Water Baptist Church, 523 Roberts Mill Road, Hixson; 6-8:30 p.m. June 10-14 and June 15 (family night); ages 4-fifth grade; theme: "Amazing Wonders Aviation: Encountering God's Awesome Power"; 842-5924 or 309-0685.
* First-Centenary United Methodist Church, 419 McCallie Ave.; 9:30 a.m.-noon June 25-28; theme: "Sky: Everything Is Possible With God"; 756-2021 or firstcentenary.com.
* Free Hope Baptist Church, 4176 Highway 76, Chatsworth, Ga.; 6-9 p.m. June 18-21 and June 22 (family night); all ages; theme: "Amazing Wonders Aviation: Encountering God's Awesome Power"; 706-695-3717.
* Hickory Valley Christian Church, 6605 Shallowford Road; 6-8:30 p.m. June 17-21; ages 3-fifth grade; theme: "Group's Sky"; 902-4585.
* Signal Mountain Presbyterian Church, 612 James Blvd.; 9 a.m.-noon June 11-14; theme: "Jesus Dwells Among Us"; 886-2190.
* Soddy United Methodist Church, 255 Depot St., Soddy-Daisy; 6-8:30 p.m. June 4-8; ages preschool through fifth grade; theme: "SonRise National Park"; 332-1148 or 877-3960.
* Tyner United Methodist Church, 6805 Standifer Gap Road; 6-8:30 p.m. June 3-7 (including snack supper); theme: "Operation Overboard"; 892-0444.
n Ways of Life Teaching Center, 1100 S. Highland Park Ave.; 6-8:30 p.m. June 4-8; ages 3-18; theme: "Power of Words"; 629-8010.
Hope for the Inner City, 1800 Roanoke Ave.; 6-8 p.m. Tuesday; "Stop the Violence" cookout/prevention kickoff offers glimpse of and support for nonprofit ministry's summer leadership camps for ages 6-18; free but food reservations required; love offering will be taken; 698-3178 or www.hope4theinnercity.org/stoptheviolence.
-- Compiled by staff writer Clint Cooper
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...
related articles »
The Rev. Sam Greer, a native of Crystal Springs, Miss., has been called as senior pastor of Red Bank Baptist ...