Times Free Press writers, photographers and a columnist won a combined eight awards Saturday in the Tennessee Associated Press Managing Editors Contest for papers with at least 50,000 daily subscribers.
TNAP judges had particularly kind comments to three-time first place videographer Patrick Smith, calling his work “enterprising, deeply sourced ... hands-down the best of the video entries.”
Smith spent more than a year following Joey Jones, a Dalton, Ga., Marine sergeant who lost both legs in a bomb blast in Afghanistan.
“It was an honor to be able to tell his story to our readers,” Smith said.
The staff overall won first in deadline reporting for coverage of the April 2011 tornadoes. Reporter Pam Sohn and photographer Angela Lewis were honored for “Saving Mary,” about a local woman who helped a mentally handicapped and homeless woman find a place to live and reunite with her estranged family.
Here is the list of Times Free Press honorees:
• Patrick Smith: First place in videography for “Joey’s Journey”
• Harry Austin: First place in editorial writing for “Keep Public Records Open”
• Staff: First place in daily deadline reporting for “Catastrophic”
• Joan Garrett: Second place in features reporting for “A Burden So Great”
• Angela Lewis: Second place in online slideshow for “Saving Mary”
• Perla Trevizo and Luis Carrasco: Second place in multimedia for “Between Two Worlds”
• Pam Sohn: Third place in features reporting for “Saving Mary”
• Alex Washburn: Third place in sports photography for “Out of Juice”
Source: Tennessee Associated Press
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right: