• ACT-SO talent showcase: Barger Academy of Fine Arts, 4808 Brainerd Road, 6 p.m., free. 400-1040.
• Independence Day celebration: Georgia Winery, 6469 Battlefield Parkway, Ringgold, Ga. 10 a.m.-6 p.m., free. Red, White and Blueberry Blush sale includes tours of winery at 2 and 4 p.m., free wine-tasting. Barbecue and music by Sweet Georgia Sound noon to 4 p.m. 706-937-WINE.
• Love Loud on the Parkway: Hutcheson on the Parkway, Battlefield Parkway, 1-5 pm., community block party sponsored by Catoosa Baptist Association. Proceeds will benefit rebuilding of Mount Peria Baptist Church. 706-937-5323.
• Summer concert series: The Camp House, 1427 Williams St., 8 p.m. doors open, 8:30 p.m. performance, $15. Creative Underground presents Eclectic, a jam and open-mic session for local singers and musicians. www.tcuchatt.com
• Audubon Society birthday: Audubon Acres, Walker Hall, 900 N. Sanctuary Road, 1-5 p.m., birthday cake and ice cream to celebrate Audubon Society's 68th birthday. 892-1499.
• Children's July Fourth party: Creative Discovery Museum, 321 Chestnut St., noon-4 p.m., free with regular museum admission of $10.95. Free admission to all active-duty military families when military ID is presented. Limit two adults, two children. Activities include 2 p.m. parade followed by bubble-wrap fireworks, 2:30 p.m. birthday cake and ice cream. 756-2738.
• Cruise-in: LaFayette, Ga., downtown square, 6-9 p.m., free. Cars judged in best restoration, best resto-mod and best original categories. 706-639-1519.
• JulyFest: Mason Park, next to town hall on Highway 117, Mentone, Ala., 9 a.m.-9 p.m.; continues 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday (all times Central), free. Arts and crafts festival with live music, pet parade. 706-398-0858.
• Pancake breakfast: Applebee's at Northgate Mall, Highway 153, 7:30-9:30 a.m., $6, sponsored by the Hamilton County Republican Women. Call 266-6855 for reservations.
• Town hall summit: Sweetwater High School, 414 South Hig St., Sweetwater, Tenn., 7 p.m., free. Dr. Mary Headrick and Bill Taylor speak on issues in 3rd District House of Representatives race. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...