Miranda Lambert, left, and Blake Shelton accept song of the year award for "Over You" at the 46th Annual Country Music Awards at the Bridgestone Arena on Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012, in Nashville, Tenn. Lambert got emotional as Shelton talked about the loss of his brother Richie and the song he wrote to honor him.Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHAT THE U.S. JOB MARKET REPORT WILL LIKELY SOLIDIFY
That companies are hiring steadily but cautiously. And unemployment remains high.
2. CANDIDATES MAKING FINAL PUSH FOR VOTES
Obama is eager to hold ground in key battlegrounds, and Romney is pushing to expand the contest to other states, most notably Pennsylvania.
3. NEW YORK'S 'FORGOTTEN' ISLAND BEARS BRUNT OF SANDY
Staten Island, an isolated pocket of the city, is perhaps the area most devastated by the monster storm that has left more than 90 dead.
4. AS ROUTINE RETURNS TO NEW YORK CITY, IT'S JOINED BY FRUSTRATION
Big Apple residents grapple with traffic, bus lines and shortages, prompting one to exclaim "I'm tired of it, big-time."
5. NOW IT'S ATLANTIS' TURN TO JOURNEY INTO RETIREMENT
At 6:30 a.m., the space shuttle's trek at Cape Canaveral, Fla., won't replicate the narrow, stop-and-go turns that Endeavour encountered last month in Los Angeles, but its mastermind is sweating bullets nonetheless.
6. EPA: HYUNDAI, KIA OVERSTATED GAS MILEAGE
The U.S. agency found that the Korean automakers inflated the gas mileage on most of their models by one to six miles per gallon.
7. KOSHIK THE ELEPHANT HAS AN UNUSUAL TALENT
Scientists confirm the 5.5-ton tusker can reproduce the Korean words for "hello," ''sit down," ''no," ''lie down" and "good."
8. DAY OF THE DEAD OBSERVANCES COLORFUL, MACABRE
From Mexico to Haiti to Guatemala, the festivities to honor loved ones vary from pouring moonshine to voodoo to a wild horse race.
9. BLAKE'S BIG NIGHT AT THE CMA's
Blake Shelton, "The Voice" star, wins entertainer of the year at the Country Music Association Awards.
10. CHARGERS COACH GETS REPREIVE AFTER WIN
Norv Turner is off the hot seat, at least for 10 days, as reeling San Diego snapped a long touchdown drought en route to a 31-13 victory over the staggering Kansas City Chiefs.