* Fairview Baptist Church, 108 Jenkins Road, Rossville, Ga.; 4 p.m. today; colon cancer medical bills/expenses benefit for Chip Owens; chili supper/bake sale (4 p.m.) and singing (6:30 p.m.) featuring Mercy Call of LaFayette, Ga., and The Dogwood Valley Trio; 706-866-5744 or 706-463-5021.
* Oak Grove Church of God, 9911 Highway 58, Ooltewah; 10:30 a.m. Sunday; "Stand With Israel" event features Dr. John Somerville, central coordinator of Christians United for Israel and a retired Marine colonel, speaking about military, political, biblical and prophetic current events with Iran and Israel (lunch follows); free.
* Lookout Valley Presbyterian Church, 435 Patten Chapel Road; 10 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 18; chaplain Capt. John Richards, assistant pastor at the church, will share about his recent tour of duty at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.; free; 821-3419.
* Brainerd Baptist Church, 4011 Austin St. (Brainerd BX, Cross Point C conference room); 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday; Hearing Loss Rehab Institute, led by hearing loss support specialist David M. Harrison, offers workshop for people struggling with hearing loss and their families and friends; $99; 624-1669, email LetMyPeopleHear@yahoo.com or register at http://conta.cc/ShCoUZ.
* Lee University, 150 11th St. (Conn Center), Cleveland, Tenn.; 6:30 p.m. Wednesday; evening with author, National Prayer Breakfast speaker, "Socrates in the City" forum host and television commentator Eric Metaxes as part of chapel dedicatory series; tickets, 614-8598 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1505 N. Moore Road; 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18; Chattanooga Bach Choir and Orchestra "Music for Royals" concert features an "aural scrapbook of music" from royal weddings and coronations, including compositions by Purcell, Parry, Mathias, McKee, Duruflé, Mealor, Handel and others; free but donation of $15 requested (no donation expected from students with valid ID); www.chattanoogabachchoir.org or 886-6469.
* Joyful Sounds Church of God, 1614 Foust St., Rossville, Ga.; 11 a.m. Sunday; concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; 775-2806; also at Smyrna Baptist Church, 720 Smyrna Road, Evensville, Tenn., 6 p.m. Sunday.
* LaFayette Presbyterian Church, 107 N. Main St., LaFayette, Ga.; 6 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18; concert of sacred choral music, including classical, spirituals and gospel selections, by the Bryan College Chamber Singers (reception follows); free; 706-764-2801.
* Lee University, 150 11th St. (Conn Center), Cleveland, Tenn.; 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18; touring Australia Christian worship band Planetshakers guest for U-Church nontraditional worship service for students, alumni and community; free; 614-8347 or email email@example.com.
* Philadelphia Baptist Church, 1065 Pine Grove Road, Ringgold, Ga.; 6:30 p.m. Friday; weekly singing features Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam, and New Day Gospel; 706-891-5683.
* Red Bank United Methodist Church, 3800 Dayton Blvd.; 6 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18; concert by the touring, five-man, a cappella Zambian Vocal Group as part of missions series; free but donations support Teach One International for education and health care of Zambian children; 877-2881.
* Silverdale Baptist Church, 7236 Bonny Oaks Drive; 5-8 p.m. today; concert by Carlos Whittaker, message by Ed Newton, tours, food and giveaways celebrate grand opening of student ministry building; 499-3042 or silverdale students.com.
* First Baptist Church of Chattanooga, 401 Gateway Drive (fellowship hall); 5-8 p.m. Tuesday; Scenic City Women's Network after-hours event features silent auction, door prizes, food, music by Eric Parker and message, "It's Your Turn To Have the Blessing," by author, motivational speaker and seminar leader Nell Mohney; $20; 698-6262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...