• Benedictine Sisters Retreat Center, 316 Convent Road, Cullman, Ala.; 6 p.m. Friday through noon meal Sunday, Dec. 2; Centering Prayer Retreat designed for those who have already attended an introductory retreat or workshop; $210 (includes private room, meals); 256-734-8302 or email email@example.com.
• Nonaburg House of Prayer, Highway 39 East, Englewood, Tenn.; 7 p.m. tonight; concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; 775-2806; also at Piney Grove Community Church, 316 Burger Brach Road, Englewood, Tenn., 11 a.m. Sunday; Land's Chapel Church, Burger Branch Road, Englewood, Tenn., 6 p.m. Sunday.
• Chattanooga First Seventh-day Adventist Church, 7450 Standifer Gap Road; 7 p.m. Tuesday; rehearsals for fourth annual "Messiah" Community Sing-Along on Dec. 16; participants should bring their own scores, but a few chorus books are available to loan; free; 605-2468.
• St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 305 W. Seventh St.; 12:05 p.m. Wednesday; 65th annual weekly Advent concert features father and daughter John and Janelle Ward on the organ and French horn, respectively ($6 lunch and/or Holy Eucharist follow); free but freewill offering welcome; 266-8195.
• First Baptist Church, 401 Gateway Ave.; 7:30 p.m. Friday; choral performance features UTC's Chattanooga Singers and Chamber Singers and the Southwest Virginia Community College Chorus; free but donations support UTC's Glenn Draper Choral Scholarship; 425-4601 or www.utc.edu/Academic/Music/Events.php.
• Philadelphia Baptist, 1065 Pine Grove Road; 6:30 p.m. Friday; Scenicland Quartet and Rhett Outz guests for weekly Friday singing; 706-891-5683.
• St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 305 W. Seventh St.; 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2; Advent Lessons and Carols by church choir (reception follows); free; 266-8195.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...