published Wednesday, October 17th, 2012

The Race

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

205
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
Salsa said...

You've got the roles reversed.

October 17, 2012 at 12:02 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

more ish from bennett

October 17, 2012 at 12:20 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

The context of the "act of terror remark" was a general one, not specific to Benghazi. The main lied tonite and Crowley gave him cover. (she wasn't supposed to correct eitherm but her ideology took over. shameful

October 17, 2012 at 12:30 a.m.
bret said...

Mitt got fact-checked on the spot by a great moderator. His lie was exposed. Of course, the remark was about Benghazi since that was the whole purpose of the press conference the day after the attack.

October 17, 2012 at 12:32 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

The fact check proved Mitt right. Obama was taking generally when he said act of terror...go back and watch. Plus, moderators are not supposed to be fact-checkers...and for good reason. Obama love me some CNN, uh huh. Say for a moment that BHO did mean terror attack on Benghazi.....Wlhy, DAYS LATER, did he have Susan Rice go on 55 sunday shows and DENY that it was a terror attack.even BHO mentioned the "tape" 4 times at the UN.....also on the View, Hollywood coke dens, and others. Lies and COVER-UP abound...should bring this liar down.

October 17, 2012 at 12:41 a.m.
miraweb said...

Beautiful, Clay!

Romney's only problem now is video can be replayed.

October 17, 2012 at 12:47 a.m.
miraweb said...

Sometimes the facts are just so unfair, eh Jack?

October 17, 2012 at 12:50 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Mira, there was no fact...his terror deal was not in context with the benghazi deal....watach again. UNINSTALLING OBAMA..... █████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒ 87%

October 17, 2012 at 12:53 a.m.
miraweb said...

The republicans decided to build faux outrage over a real tragedy. The family involved asked them to stop.

If this now comes back to bite them, they earned it.

October 17, 2012 at 1:06 a.m.
miraweb said...

Who's we, pale face?

(google it)

October 17, 2012 at 1:10 a.m.
alprova said...

Somebody asked in the last thread how the right was going to spin the fact that the President did indeed refer to what happened in Benghazi, Libya as an act of terrorism on September 12, 2012.

Jack_Dennis offered the Fox News spin perfectly...

"The context of the "act of terror remark" was a general one, not specific to Benghazi."

Spin, spin, spin, spin...

CNN had a panel of undecided voters that were located in Columbus, Ohio, who overwhelmingly agreed that the President did call what happened in Benghazi a terrorist attack the day after, and they also agreed that the Republicans were attempting to politicize the events of 9/11/2012.

So all you Romney rooters, feel free to spin it all you want. You're only fooling yourselves.

October 17, 2012 at 1:11 a.m.
alprova said...

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nbc-news/49442273/?utma=14933801.1273288650.1349843546.1350256643.1350451302.12&utmb=14933801.1.10.1350451302&utmc=14933801&utmx=-&utmz=14933801.1349843546.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=173192611#49442273

October 17, 2012 at 1:25 a.m.
wrdrennan said...

Damn, I HOPE it's not that bad if Romney wins.

October 17, 2012 at 1:26 a.m.
hotdiggity said...

Sorry, but Mitt challenged Obama that he did not say the attack was "an attack of terror". Mitt said Obama only called it "an attack of terror" two weeks later.

Jack_Dennis said... "The context of the "act of terror remark" was a general one, not specific to Benghazi."

Here Jack, look at the video and see what the question was that was posed to Obama and Mitt. Duh.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/16/candy-crowley-fact-checks-mitt-romney-libya_n_1972313.html

October 17, 2012 at 1:30 a.m.
hotdiggity said...

Romney different from Bush. Nah, they both kiss up to big money.

October 17, 2012 at 1:48 a.m.
alprova said...

Goodness gracious, he does look peeved. I wonder what was going on when that photo was snapped.

My bet is that it was taken at the moment that Candy Crowley handed him azz.

I hereby nominate the photographer for a Pulitzer.

October 17, 2012 at 1:54 a.m.
miraweb said...

Actually, I have full rights to use that one. My mother's family is Chickasaw.

October 17, 2012 at 1:57 a.m.
miraweb said...
October 17, 2012 at 2:09 a.m.
miraweb said...

Some observations from the pool reporter at the debate:

Not sure if it picked up on TV, but there was an audible gasp from the audience when Romney said "you'll get your chance in a moment" to POTUS.

And minutes later, many in the audience laughed after Obama said "you'll be back in the same mess" and again after Romney disputed the rules and Crowley said "it doesn't quite work like that."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-election/9611936/US-election-live.html

October 17, 2012 at 2:20 a.m.
ricardo said...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/17/politics/fact-check-terror/index.html

"acts of terror"

The facts: On September 12, the day after the attack that killed four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, Obama said in comments in the Rose Garden that he had learned about the attack on the consulate the night before.

"Our country is only as strong as the character of our people and the service of those both civilian and military who represent us around the globe," he said. "No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.

On September 13, at a campaign event in Las Vegas, Obama vowed to bring the killers to justice. He then added, "No act of terror will dim the light of the values that we proudly shine on the rest of the world, and no act of violence will shake the resolve of the United States of America."

Them dang facts are so inconvenient when Romney is trying to score political points over the death of an ambassador. He looked like a clown.

October 17, 2012 at 4:13 a.m.
ricardo said...
October 17, 2012 at 4:40 a.m.
ricardo said...

alprova said..."Goodness gracious, he does look peeved. I wonder what was going on when that photo was snapped."

Poor spoiled little Willard won't get to be president.

October 17, 2012 at 4:43 a.m.
miraweb said...

Twitter and Facebook are taking off on #bindersfullofwomen

Here's a page for you Jack to help you understand how a woman might have heard that section of the debate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/17/romney-binders-full-of-women

October 17, 2012 at 5:08 a.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Miraweb noted: “Twitter and Facebook are taking off on #bindersfullofwomen”

It also appears that Romney’s version of the “bindersfullofwomen” story is sort of a fairytale. In his version, he’s the prince, but in real life he's just a ordinary political toad:

"Not a true story.

What actually happened was that in 2002 -- prior to the election, not even knowing yet whether it would be a Republican or Democratic administration -- a bipartisan group of women in Massachusetts formed MassGAP to address the problem of few women in senior leadership positions in state government. There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor.

They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected.

I have written about this before, in various contexts; tonight I've checked with several people directly involved in the MassGAP effort who confirm that this history as I've just presented it is correct -- and that Romney's claim tonight, that he asked for such a study, is false."

http://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/talkingpolitics/archive/2012/10/16/mind-the-binder.aspx

October 17, 2012 at 5:55 a.m.
AndrewLohr said...

Back to the cartoon of--Aunt Sam?--on the tracks. Candidate Obama was going to rescue us from deficits: he's added more debt in 4 years than President Bush did in 8. Rescue from joblessness: fewer Americans are working now than when he became President. Rescue from over-regulation: is the Federal Register smaller? (jEven Jimmy Carter cut regulations!) And Mr Bennett draws this? If it's supposed to be funny, the joke is on him.

October 17, 2012 at 6:05 a.m.
EaTn said...

While the Benghazi incident was a tragedy and black-eye for the Administration, it's use by Romney to smoke-screen his own platform that will decimate this country is obvious. Early polls show that Obama bounced back in the debate and uncovered some of Romney's hidden agenda and lack of details to support his claims. With early voting already begun in parts of the country, last night's debate may be the most critical one.

October 17, 2012 at 6:43 a.m.
dude_abides said...

Nice to have Jack_Dennis to tell us what the President was thinking when he spoke in the Rose Garden! Know what I'm thinking, Jack_? Bwa...Bwa...Bwahahahahaha!

October 17, 2012 at 7:19 a.m.
joneses said...

Why is it that Hussein Obama has to show up at a debate and be a certain way? Why can he not show up and be himself and debate? This is the same as Al Gore did in his debates where he looked like a fool as well. Why do the dummycrat candidates have to prepare to be a certain way? It must be because they are ashamed of who they actually are. Watch the liberal controlled headlines and they will report what Hussein Obama will be like at the next debate.

If Hussein Obama won this debate then that is even more reason to send his lying, corrupt ass back to Chicago to spend the rest of his days with his communist Weather Underground Terrorist friends Bernadiene Dorhn and Bill Ayers. Hussein Obama showed just what and ass hole he really is.

October 17, 2012 at 7:33 a.m.
fairmon said...

Reading the 37 comments validate the study that concluded people listen and watch for things that will support the opinion they had already formed. This suggest undecided voters are looking for reason to move to where they want to be. Most "undecided" voters already have a bias one way or the other and will see or hear something that justifies their bias.

October 17, 2012 at 8:05 a.m.
degage said...

After the debate Crowley walked back her comment during the debate and said Romney was right. So she knew she was wrong but needed to help Obama. We did not hear anything last night that we haven't already heard over and and over again.

October 17, 2012 at 8:20 a.m.
fairmon said...

The moderator chose the questions from those submitted and was in charge of the debate. Was the moderator able to prevent her well known bias from affecting the questions selected and her reaction to the two candidates? I know that is a useless question since the same bias already reflected in the comments will dictate the answer.

Lol...miraweb may not be bias, she could be considered a totally prejudice Obama fan.

All media is totally ignoring Gary Johnson. They can't trip him up, they can't put their own twist on his positions on the issues. None of them, including FOX, advocate smaller government. They advocate a different behavior from the huge unmanageable inefficient central government we have. The national media and networks like having everything happening from a central location, it is easier and less costly for them to influence, cover and report on.

October 17, 2012 at 8:22 a.m.
EaTn said...

harp3339 said..."Most "undecided" voters already have a bias one way or the other and will see or hear something that justifies their bias."

Right on. Anyone who has the fortitute to vote is not living under a rock and has been well informed by now on what Obama and Romney can or can't do to meet their desires, or their dislikes, in a president.

October 17, 2012 at 8:26 a.m.
patriot1 said...

Why is this even a race to save the lady.....that mountie has been on that horse for four years!!!

October 17, 2012 at 8:30 a.m.
fairmon said...

I would like to see a debate of around three segments of 50 minutes then a ten minute break where one ask the other questions with plenty of time for an answer, say five minutes if needed, with one follow up question if the questioner wants to ask it. No interruptions or evaluation of the answer by the questioner during the debate. The moderator only makes sure the rules are followed but does not participate.

October 17, 2012 at 8:35 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

Yep, this is the world that Bennett lives in. We all need federal government solutions to every challenge in our life. Without government meddling we will all die a sudden, violent death. The American Citizen is incompetent to take care of their own affairs.

Unfortunately, both democrats and republicans support this vision. It is really just differences in style that separate to two. Bennett only participates in this rabid cheerleading for the democrats because he is too stupid to realise that both choices are the same.

Being into the two party political process is kind of like being a football fanatic. You know great level of detail about the characters on both sides. You root for your team with passion. The result at the end of the game really has no affect on your life. The election process between the democrats and republicans is mostly theatre to keep the dumb masses entertained and let them think they participate in something called a democracy.

October 17, 2012 at 8:37 a.m.
miraweb said...

I would like to see a paint ball gun issued to the moderator. Every time a candidate bullies his way over the time limit or is condescending to the moderator it's a free shot.

October 17, 2012 at 8:43 a.m.
fairmon said...

Crowley said after the debate.....

I heard the president speak at the time. I, sort of, reread a lot of stuff about Libya because I knew we’d probably get a Libya question so I kind of wanted to be up on it,” said Crowley. “I knew that the president had said, you know, these acts of terror won’t stand. Or, whatever the whole quote was.”

I sort of reread. I kind of wanted to be up on it. I knew we would probably get a Libya question. Why reread and be up on it if the moderator wasn't participating. Selecting the questions to be asked was a good reason to anticipate the subjects but there was no reason to be an expert on the questions.

Makes one wonder if the moderator should be one of the media journalist from any of the networks. Can you imagine Limbaugh or Hannity from FOX as a moderator? The commission on presidential debates is a cruel joke on the public.

October 17, 2012 at 8:47 a.m.
miraweb said...

I'm betting that engine Williard Whiplash is driving is powered by coal.

October 17, 2012 at 8:51 a.m.
miraweb said...

Yeah, who needs smart, informed moderators who do their homework. . .

Blaming the ref is an all American sport but Romney lost on points. That was a self-inflicted wound.

October 17, 2012 at 8:56 a.m.
fairmon said...

miraweb said... I would like to see a paint ball gun issued to the moderator. Every time a candidate bullies his way over the time limit or is condescending to the moderator it's a free shot.

Red for one blue for the other? Are you sure you want that? You do know your man had more minutes in each debate? No one seemed to get away with anything with Crowley, she is a big woman. I don't like her, she is prejudice but did OK in a tough job.

October 17, 2012 at 8:57 a.m.
miraweb said...

I think Obama would have had enough paint balls to need to send his suit to the cleaners. Romney might have needed a trip through a car wash. Touchless, of course.

October 17, 2012 at 9:03 a.m.
fairmon said...

miraweb said... Yeah, who needs smart,informed moderators who do their homework. .

Good question. What is the answer when the questions are coming from the audience? Why does the moderator need to have an opinion? Why would the moderator need to know the answer since both have an opportunity to answer? Make the rules and have someone enforce them. Give a 20 second warning then turn the sound off when time expires.

October 17, 2012 at 9:03 a.m.
miraweb said...

I guess Bill O'Reilly was busy.

October 17, 2012 at 9:05 a.m.
fairmon said...

miraweb said... I think Obama would have had enough paint balls to need to send his suit to the cleaners. Romney might have need a trip to through a car wash. Touchless, of course.

I see, you prefer a docile subservient man that avoids confrontation? Oh me, your poor husband has my sympathy.

October 17, 2012 at 9:08 a.m.
MTJohn said...

The reality is that we are on the verge of the end of the middle class, regardless of whom we elect. We'll just get there sooner with Mitt's leadership. When we get there, we will be the victims of our own selfishness and the foolish thinking that the moneyed interests behind Crossroads care about anybody other than themselves.

October 17, 2012 at 9:11 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

If Sec. Clinton is responsible for the security failure in Benghazi, who is responsible for 8 days of of b.s.about what happened that day?

October 17, 2012 at 9:14 a.m.
miraweb said...

News alert: Women aren't impressed by alpha-dog growling. Your friends at the middle-school playground were wrong.

Loud is not the same thing as strong. It's a very important distinction.

October 17, 2012 at 9:14 a.m.
JustOneWoman said...

degage said... After the debate Crowley walked back her comment during the debate and said Romney was right. So she knew she was wrong but needed to help Obama. We did not hear anything last night that we haven't already heard over and and over again.

Proof please. I call out your BS. We have proof on the lies Rmoney told. Give us something to back up your statement, or we just consider it the same nonsense you keep spewing.

October 17, 2012 at 9:15 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Who picks the moderators? Axelrod?

October 17, 2012 at 9:15 a.m.
miraweb said...

Give it a rest, Jack. That dog won't hunt.

October 17, 2012 at 9:16 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

CANDY CROWLEY, debate moderator, after the debate: You know, again, I heard the president's speech at the time. I sort of reread a lot of stuff about Libya because I knew we'd probably get a Libya question, so I kind of wanted to be up on it. So we knew that the president had said, you know, 'these acts of terror won't stand,' or whatever the whole quote was.

I think actually, you know, because right after that, I did turn to Romney and said you were totally correct but they spent two weeks telling us that this was about a tape and that there was this riot outside of the Benghazi consulate, which there wasn't. So he was right in the main, I just think that he picked the wrong word

October 17, 2012 at 9:18 a.m.
JustOneWoman said...

harp3339 said... miraweb said... I think Obama would have had enough paint balls to need to send his suit to the cleaners. Romney might have need a trip to through a car wash. Touchless, of course.

I see, you prefer a docile subservient man that avoids confrontation? Oh me, your poor husband has my sympathy.

How in the world would you get this from that? This reeks of male chovinist pig Harp. Because miraweb calls out lies or overstepping rules, you jump on the strong woman, weak man crap. What a jerkish thing to say. I think your baggage is showing.

October 17, 2012 at 9:21 a.m.
miraweb said...

We all know how much better the game goes when the professional refs are locked out. We never see problems with that approach.

October 17, 2012 at 9:23 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Who's moderating last debate, Karl Marx? He's dead? Oh, ok, Bob Schieffer. Rachel Maddow not available?

October 17, 2012 at 9:24 a.m.
miraweb said...

JR - 9:21 - just substitute in your handle for harp.

October 17, 2012 at 9:31 a.m.
miraweb said...

Well - if I 'm going to keep mixing my metaphors I'll need some breakfast. Laters.

October 17, 2012 at 9:36 a.m.
whatsnottaken said...

Tooney's cartoon just proves King Kenyan isn't an American. We knew it all along Tooney. And you know those Canadians. King Kenyan tied Nell to the tracks ran off and waited for the train so he could play hero, arriving just in time, not to save Nell so she can't rat him out for tying her down in the first place. Right Tonney?

October 17, 2012 at 9:39 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Mira: The dog DOES hunt. You're just too blinded by the ether to be anywhere near objective. Crowley was wrong, she admitted she was wrong. Answer the simple question, Mira. If BHO knew it was terror immediately, why did he bob and weave for days? Why did he continually bring up the film? Even at the UN. Why did he have his minions go out and spew ish about "the film"? Answer those, Mira lady.

October 17, 2012 at 9:49 a.m.
mymy said...

Good Morning to the Brain-dead: Obama is still full of the same old same BS/Lies and you still believe it!!

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/10/16/Fox-News-Airs-Focus-Group-Voter-Calling-Obama-Policies-Bullsht

20 Days to Go!

It is still the economy/jobs/foreign policy/direction of country/National Security here/abroad and the growing debt.

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock

Romney/Ryan 2012

October 17, 2012 at 9:57 a.m.
mtngrl said...

Jack, where did Crowley admit she was wrong?

I have read your posts and saw her interview live last night and she did no such thing. She said she was up on Libya and knew what the President said the next day and she was right on that. She also said during the debate that Romney was right on the 2 week discussion of the tape. Romney's mistake was sitting there like a deer in the headlights when he found out he was wrong on Obama's statement instead of picking up on the portion where she did validate him. He choked.

October 17, 2012 at 10 a.m.
patriot1 said...

.....and in other news, Candy Crowley, "unbiased" moderator, explains to the sheeple what the definition of the word "is" is.

October 17, 2012 at 10:03 a.m.
degage said...

Obama supporters threats of riots if he loses now they are threating to assanate romney if he wins. It is all over twitter. infowars.com

October 17, 2012 at 10:11 a.m.
degage said...

oops put an a instead of i in asassinate.

October 17, 2012 at 10:14 a.m.
chatt_man said...

79 posts, and several times the question has been asked of Obama supporters If Obama stated it was terrorism early on, why did they parade the video story around for so many days?

Crickets........chirp, chirp... Enough said for all to know the truth.

October 17, 2012 at 10:16 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

mtngal: IF, big IF, Romney looked like a deer in the headlights, it was because NO ONE had previously put ANY credence to BHO's passing Rosegarden remark about terror. IF BHO meant it, why the 2-step for days after? Huh, girl?

October 17, 2012 at 10:22 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

She can't answer that Jack. Without admitting that you're right.

Obama also said that he was "on the phone" with his intelligence people on the ground while the attack was unfolding. Those same people testified under oath that they knew it was a terrorist attack immediately. because there was no "angry mob" of protesters anywhere in sight.

So Obama goes out in the rose garden and says what he knew all along. It was a "terror attack". Just like his intelligence people told him on the phone. I have no argument with that. BUT, that's when he begins the big lie to the American people by all of a sudden telling us it was the video. And then lied a follow-up lie by saying there was an angry mob protesting for hours and it just escalated into murder.

So, even when you liberals say that, "Obama said act of terror", you're STILL admitting that he MUST have lied about it NOT being an act of terror for the next two weeks.

It's amazing to witness you liberals thinking you've scored points for Obama by proving he said, "acts of terror". Only to realize that he MUST have lied for the next two weeks about it being a video.

October 17, 2012 at 10:26 a.m.
patriot1 said...

Our state senate candidate....what do you think alpo, got anything like that in North Georgia?

October 17, 2012 at 10:33 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

What morons the liberals. Too stupid to realize that the "act of terror" statement only proves Obama's a liar.

Fat pencils and short buses for all of you.

Thanks for helpin' out Candy.

October 17, 2012 at 10:33 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

Both candidates support the NDAA that includes the indefinite detention of US citizens

(but obama is making insurance companies give us "free" birth control)

Both candidates support undeclared wars against sovereign nations

(but romney and obama are promising us tax breaks)

Both candidates support expansion of government involvement in health care

(but obama gave me a free phone)

Both candidates support the Patriot Act, warrantless searches, felony prosecution of anyone who would even mention that they were searched.

(but romney knows how to run a business)

Both candidates support the war on drugs and the resulting prison crowding and the violence in the streets.

(but obama has a great beer summit)

The American voter needs to get his head out of his a$$.

October 17, 2012 at 10:40 a.m.
TOES02800 said...
October 17, 2012 at 10:40 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Romney gave several steps he would take to affect the economy and produce jobs. Very effectively done. BHO has no record to run on, so what does he say? You should give me 4 more years, because, you know, you just should. This race should be a slam dunk for Mitt. But we DO have millions of teat suckers.

October 17, 2012 at 10:40 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

Obama's Great Alaska Shutout Interior bans drilling on 11.5 million acres of 'petroleum reserve.'

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443768804578040873921142716.html?mod=djemEditorialPage_h

October 17, 2012 at 10:44 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

Threats to Assassinate Romney Explode After Debate

http://www.infowars.com/threats-to-assassinate-romney-explode-after-debate/

AWWWW!! You liberals are so cute!! Butterjustmeltsinyourmouth sweet!!

October 17, 2012 at 10:49 a.m.
JustOneWoman said...

Boy you can really tell when these jerks get their buttons pushed.....LOL It does tend to send the buzz words flowing. Like we little women cant think for ourselves unless it is about birth control or cat fights. HOW FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 17, 2012 at 10:50 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

Alpo says: "My bet is that it was taken at the moment that Candy Crowley handed him azz".

You call THAT getting his ass handed? You're more desperate than I thought.

October 17, 2012 at 10:54 a.m.
ibshame said...

"tu_quoque said... Also odd that when some laughing, cheering, and clapping was heard that one of the video showed it was coming from TheObozo group sitting area specifically TheMooshell. How low class."

You of all people calling someone low class? That's another one of those wing nut neocon jokes right? Here's the bottom line for you and all the rest of the whiners. Two weeks ago President Obama lost the first debate. I was one of the first to say I was very disappointed with his performance. He had Romney down and if he had done then what he did last night, it would have been over for Romney. But for whatever reason he didn't perform as he should have two weeks ago and consequently he let Romney back in the game. Last night it was different. Romney had his azz handed to him on a silver platter.

For me the best part of the night had nothing to do with Benghazi or even the final knockout punch over the 47%. It was when Romney was asked how he differed from George W. Bush. He spoke rather eloquently about their differences but then President Obama turned it on him. I have always considered W to be one of the WEAKEST, inept, minor league Presidents to ever occupy the White House. He was manipulated by Neocons and it was obvious from the start he didn't have a clue. However, even with all of that said when President Obama started counting off the ways W actually differed from Romney I was cheering and of all the people to give W credit for anything in his administration, it was a DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT AND NOT ROMNEY a member of W's own party and the man seeking to be the Republican Standard Bearer. That President Obama would at least give W some credit for doing something right said more about his integrity than Romney's.

October 17, 2012 at 10:59 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

I'll add to tu_quoque's 10:50. The fact that the "video" scenario also played well with the liberals hatred of the freedom of speech, (excluding their own), made the decision to lie a no-brainer for them.

The liberals rejoiced when they got their video of the police dragging this guy out in handcuffs, for all the world to see. That image, in itself, gave our enemies more hope than any lost war ever could.

October 17, 2012 at 11:04 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

If it's still close by next debate, I think Dems should insist on Keith Olbermann as moderator.

October 17, 2012 at 11:08 a.m.
miraweb said...

The internets have spoken:

http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com/

October 17, 2012 at 11:10 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

Obama throws Hillary under bus= War on woman

October 17, 2012 at 11:13 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

I wonder how the libs would feel if Rush Limbaugh was moderator.

I'd still like to know how it is that known liberals get to be the moderators of all four debates.

So far, Obama has six more minutes than Romney.

October 17, 2012 at 11:17 a.m.
miraweb said...

A CNN reporter suggested that a fact-checking table be set up live at every debate. With the internet, that could be a real possibility by the next election.

The applause Crowley got from the crowd and from other reporters was for an olympian feat of live fact checking in a high-pressure situation.

We all say we want reporters to do exactly that and start calling out the spinners with reality checks.

The cheer was to see someone actually pull it off.

October 17, 2012 at 11:19 a.m.
miraweb said...

And to see Romney stewed in his own juices. I'll admit I enjoyed that bit.

October 17, 2012 at 11:21 a.m.
miraweb said...

The candidates choose their own moderators. It's a little late to be whining about that now.

October 17, 2012 at 11:22 a.m.
miraweb said...

Update at the party at the Waldorf-Astoria. I wonder who in Mitt's entourage decided a bespoke tie was just the right party gift. Mitt must have left his binder in his other pants.

Several business-minded donors referred to it as a “shareholders” or “sales team” meeting. Donors say they also realize the message to bundlers isn’t substantially different from the campaign’s public message: The presidential race is close, and Mr. Romney will demonstrate that “winners close.”

“Like many things in life, when you make an investment, you try and see how that investment is going and then if it’s good you add on to it,” Mr. Bishop said of those who had not yet given. “People like to follow winners. And if they feel their candidate is winning, then they want to put more money on the horse.”

Bundlers found other ways to display a newfound confidence: Men wore Romney ties – with different designs indicating how much each has raised – and some women wore GOP red dresses. Another donned a sparkling “MITT” pin.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/10/16/ties-and-pins-romney-camp-courts-donors-at-n-y-retreat/

October 17, 2012 at 11:29 a.m.
mountainlaurel said...

JustOneWoman Noted: “How in the world would you get this from that? This reeks of male chovinist pig Harp. Because miraweb calls out lies or overstepping rules, you jump on the strong woman, weak man crap. What a jerkish thing to say. I think your baggage is showing.”

Yes, but Harp3339’s baggage is always showing. . . And so is Mitt Romney’s.

I was especially amused by Mitt Romney’s response to the women and equal pay question. . . There are lots of smart conservative business women out there, and to suggest that any so called business professional like Mitt Romney would need a staff to go out looking for a few is just inconceivable. . . Indeed, just like, Harp3339, Mitt Romney’s baggage was showing.

October 17, 2012 at 11:31 a.m.
EaTn said...

Just read on Fox that Romney won the debate. Never-mind that the Huff's poll gave Obama 45% to Romney 35%. If you want the truth in this election, you'd better not get all your news from one single source.

October 17, 2012 at 12:20 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

EaTn: so what sources you recommend, Ea?

October 17, 2012 at 12:48 p.m.
miraweb said...

Obi Van Susteren has been waving her hand in a half-circle at Camera 2 all morning saying, "this is not the Romney you were looking for . . . move along."

October 17, 2012 at 12:49 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Mira: The applause was because the venue was a liberal university. The applause was led my Michelle. The R's need to tighten up on the venues and the moderators.

October 17, 2012 at 12:54 p.m.
miraweb said...

Yeah, it's a pity they didn't hire any moderator police. They're probably, union anyway.

October 17, 2012 at 1:03 p.m.
miraweb said...

Maybe they can get some moderator mall cops to monitor the moderator police.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

October 17, 2012 at 1:06 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

MIRA: The left will NOT answer this question. Will you? "If Obama knew it was terrorism on Day 2, then why did his admin continue to blame the video for days afterward? Hello, Mira. I'll hang-up and listen.

October 17, 2012 at 1:07 p.m.
patriot1 said...

Gallup daily tracking: R - 51 O - 45

October 17, 2012 at 1:11 p.m.
mtngrl said...

Jack, why didn't Romney ask that question in the debate? He decided to focus on one little statement the thought he had in the bag and got burned when he could have focused on questions like yours instead. And you blame the moderator.

Losers blame the moderator

October 17, 2012 at 1:11 p.m.
miraweb said...

Jack - I don't know. I wasn't there. And neither were you. Congress has the power to subpoena witnesses and launch investigations without anyone else helping. That would be far more effective on separating fact from fiction than Lindsey Graham working the talk show circuit, don't you think?

patriot - that's only half the numbers:

Gallup (likely voters) : O-45 R-51

Gallup (registered voters) : O-50 R-45

This is entirely a game of turnout now. The last debate probably doesn't matter all that much - other than for the entertainment value.

UPDATE - sorry - I rechecked that and the registered voter number is a little older. My bad.

October 17, 2012 at 1:14 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

mira: So you're not interested in the answer?

mtngal: Not blaming anyone. Would just like an answer. Even yours.

October 17, 2012 at 1:18 p.m.
miraweb said...

The number I have been watching is the "crowdsourcing" question. There is some evidence that if you ask people how they think most other people will vote, despite their own leanings, that they are often very accurate. This is the first election I've seen a crowdsourcing based question in polls, but it is there:

"Just your best guess, who do you think will win the election this year: Obama or Romney."

10/10 - 13/12 Obama-57 Romney-33 Unsure-10

ABC News / Washington Post Poll

I will be very curious to see how accurate that kind of a question turns out to be.

October 17, 2012 at 1:24 p.m.
miraweb said...

I think the equation FOG OF WAR + THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION means there is very little chance of hearing any real facts in the media.

After the dust settles and the military and intelligence services have come up with their own recommendations I will have far more interest in the answer.

If Lindsey Graham wants an investigation - he can have one on his own say-so in a hour. Lindsey Graham wants a photo-op, not an investigation.

October 17, 2012 at 1:29 p.m.
patriot1 said...

Mira: that thing about Gallup registered voters....R leads that one too

October 17, 2012 at 1:32 p.m.
miraweb said...

There is one source that has spoken on the matter who is not involved in the politics and has a real interest in the outcome.

"The security matters are being adequately investigated. We don’t pretend to be experts in security. It has to be objectively examined. That’s where it belongs. It does not belong in the campaign arena." - Jan Stevens, the father of Chris Stevens

I am willing to allow the Ambassador's father a very large benefit of the doubt on this one and leave a serious and necessary investigation to the professionals. It has only been three weeks since this man had to bury his son.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-13/libyan-ambassadors-death-not-a-political-issue-says-dad

October 17, 2012 at 1:35 p.m.
fairmon said...

How much credibility can be assigned to focus groups? I have little value for them. Apparently the prevailing opinion is they leaned toward Romney. Romney will not win the election, it may not even be close.

Focus groups are about as unbiased as mountainlaurel. Her view is that if Obama says it then it is an absolute fact. If he changes his position he evolved to it. If Romney says it then it is a lie and any change in position is a flip flop.

Ml is one of those people that like to say I tell it like it is when really she tells it the way she wants it to be. ML will support any democrat ideology and blast any republican. But, I do like to pickj on her. I love miraweb, the paint ball idea is the best one I have heard. My comment regarding her view of men was "put them in their place and control them" using a paint ball gun if necessary which is OK by me if it works.

My vote for Gary Johnson will only mean I have my own beliefs and principles and agree with his position on most issues. I still think Obama is incompetent and not to be trusted but Romney would be just as lost as Obanma in the political underground in D.C.

October 17, 2012 at 1:44 p.m.
fairmon said...

miraweb said....

I am willing to allow the Ambassador's father a very large benefit of the doubt on this one and leave a serious and necessary investigation to the professionals. It has only been three weeks since this man had to bury his son.

We agree on something. I tend to think the administration did not know it was an attack by terrorist which it now appears it was but there are still unanswered questions.

I think the moderator, as she acknowledged, screwed up by interrupting and saying the president did label it a terrorist attack the next day. He did say it was an act of terror which does not mean a planned attack by terrorist. This is obvious from the 2+ weeks of blaming a video for a spontaneous response that led to the deaths. A thorough investigation by unbiased parties is now appropriate. It needs to be left off the political issues agenda and the administration could and will likely enable that.

Inadvertently Crowley caused Obama to open himself up for an attack but Romney was not quick enough to use it. The response could have been I didn't hear that speech, did you say the next day it was an attack by terrorist? Hoping he answered yes you know the next question he would get about later speeches.

October 17, 2012 at 2:01 p.m.
miraweb said...

I'm pretty sure that the way you control a male with a paint ball gun is to promise him an afternoon of interrupted time with it if he starts cleaning out the basement. You might have to throw in a football game to be sure.

October 17, 2012 at 2:08 p.m.
miraweb said...

The Ambassador's family and the families of the other men who died must have televisions and must come across the newspapers from time to time. I cannot possibly imagine how they are handling the campaign media firestorm at this time.

October 17, 2012 at 2:10 p.m.
limric said...

Aren’t you sick of massive political ads? I am. This one, however, is jussstst a little different. Here, Samuel L Jackson uses a now-infamous children's book as a premise for a short piece urging voters to Wake Up, and what we risk with a Romney presidency/corporation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og35U0d6WKY

October 17, 2012 at 2:10 p.m.
miraweb said...

I have always wondered about the contrast between the "Extreme!!!!!" view of strength we see in popular media and the way we have always sought to build strong and disciplined members of the military.

There are two things a soldier learns before anything else: how to stand very still for a long period of time and how to keep his or her mouth closed, even with the greatest provocation.

Strength can be a quiet thing.

October 17, 2012 at 2:27 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Nice to see the leftists on here learn from The Organizer. That is, how NOT to answer questions.

October 17, 2012 at 2:57 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

TIME’s Joe Klein: “Obama’s Greatest Weakness Is That His Proposals For The Future Are Nonexistent.”

hahaha That's from Joe freakin Klein. Not exactly a right-wing hack. The wheels are coming off the Messiahmobile.

October 17, 2012 at 2:59 p.m.
ibshame said...

Yeah, Jack_Dennis the same case can certainly be made for Mitt Romney's proposals.

WHEN THE PRESIDENT COMES TO TOWN http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/12149-when-the-president-comes-to-town

"If you're dealing with a guy who says government doesn't create jobs right after he claims he will personally create 12 million jobs if given the top gig in government, it shouldn't be all that surprising when that guy becomes subsumed by his own demonstrable contradictions."

October 17, 2012 at 3:17 p.m.
alprova said...

Jack_Dennis wrote: "If Obama knew it was terrorism on Day 2, then why did his admin continue to blame the video for days afterward?"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/28/no-threat-assessment-in-benghazi-prior-to-ambassador-arrival-source-says/

October 17, 2012 at 3:21 p.m.
tipper said...

Romney and the Republican strategists have been working this Libya issue simply to weaken Obama's foreign policy experience, of which Romney has litlle or no experience at all. It is definitely without question Obama's strength. Regardless that using a national tregedy as some sort of political theatre, it exposed so transparently Romney's callous approach to grabbing political points and his desparation to look even remotely qualified in the foreign policy arena. Even so, Romney failed misersbly. As to the semantics on the "act of terrorism" phrase in the rose garden that's been volleyed on this blog, please--stop wasting people's time. If that's the best argument anti-Obama players can serve up, no wonder they are diasarrayed today.

October 17, 2012 at 3:24 p.m.
chatt_man said...

demonstrable contradictions - I love it, describes Obama to the "T"

Jack, we are just not going to get them to answer, because they would have to be more truthful than this administration and say he "knew it was an act of terrorism, before he learned it was an act of terrorism".

ibshame - The difference between Obama and Romney on creating jobs is Obama thinks he can regulate businesses into hiring, and Romney knows the only way the government creates jobs is by creating an environment where employers feel confortable hiring, and not this one-program-at-a-time, regulation-by-regulation, see what the next one brings environment. I don't expect you to understand. Care to take a stab at the question of the day?

October 17, 2012 at 3:27 p.m.
jesse said...

If that was Hillery tied to the tracks and Obama drivin the train

w/Bill on the horse,that would be more accurate!

Even better than throwin her UNDER the bus!!

October 17, 2012 at 3:28 p.m.
alprova said...

Mitt Romney Claimed last night that Barack Obama began his presidency "with an apology tour."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/17/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-says-barack-obama-began/

President Obama said last night that Mitt Romney once said a coal-burning plant ‘kills people’

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/16/barack-obama/obama-says-romney-once-said-coal-burning-plant-kil/

October 17, 2012 at 3:32 p.m.
chatt_man said...

From the link you posted, Alprova -

"However, sources have told Fox News that intelligence officials knew within 24 hours the attack that left the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans dead was terrorism, and that they suspected it was tied to Al Qaeda".

It's unclear, then, why the intelligence community told Executive Branch officials it was spontaneous.

They went on to espouse that lie for days...24 hours is one day.

October 17, 2012 at 3:37 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

the obamamobile is wobbling

October 17, 2012 at 4 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

Just what exactly is the "vagina card", JonRoss?

October 17, 2012 at 4:03 p.m.
alprova said...

Funny Tweets offered during the debate last night;

"When Obama is talking, Romney makes the same face my Catholic grandmother would make at a Wiccan wedding."

"Before you accuse Romney of not caring about the unemployed, keep in mind he's been trying to get a new job for a YEAR."

"Mr. Romney: I am pro-choice, but only for deporting yourself."

"I got an EXCLUSIVE PHOTO of Mitt Romney's binder." http://twitpic.com/b4u44a

"Binders full of women" is what they find in a serial killer's apartment."

"Fonzie had binders full of women too."

"Obama: "I passed a law allowing women to get equal pay." Romney: "I hired women once."..."

"Romney just locked up the Welsh illegal vote."

"Romney is very tough on China. He will only eat off of the most rare and expensive sets available."

"Guns don't kill people. Single mothers kill people."

"It's as if the Romney from the first debate is tied up in a Scooby-Doo warehouse somewhere."

"Women can't work late because they need to leave to make dinner? Are you serious?"

"Do you think women belong in the kitchen, and are just for taking care of kids? If so the 1950's want you back"

"Mitt Romney on a woman's plight? "She can't work because she's needed in the kitchen.".."

"Don't worry, middle class! All of your capital gains will now be tax free! What? You mostly live paycheck to paycheck?"

"His face turned red and he started stuttering halfway through the debate. I knew it was trouble in paradise for Daddy Warbucks Romney"

"You gotta love Mittens...Etch-a-Sketches & Binders...he's such a funny, funny guy!"

"Romney wanted to wrap it up so Candy Crowley could get home to cook dinner."

October 17, 2012 at 4:05 p.m.
alprova said...

chatt_man wrote: "They went on to espouse that lie for days...24 hours is one day."

Can't you guys figure things out by using your brain?

The White House was getting mixed information from intelligence as to what spawned the attack on the compound in Benghazi.

There was never any question whether or not the attack itself was an act of terrorism. The compound was attacked. People were killed.

Of COURSE it was an act of terrorism. The President said so in the Rose Garden the morning after and in the days following.

All this quibbling over the use of the phrase "spontaneous attack" has become a little more than silly. Planned or not, the event was spontaneous. It was not as if the terrorists announced themselves a week before they attacked the compound in Banghazi.

October 17, 2012 at 4:17 p.m.
DJHBRAINERD said...

I was out of town and had the pleasure/displeasure of cable in my hotel room when the first reports came from bengazi and our other embassies. Then a strange thing happened all the news for the remainder of the week was about Mitt's 47% comment previously recorded in .....May? We laughed trying to find out what was going on over seas but crickets.... just 47% every channel all day and night. Just sayin. Driving there and back had to hear alot about a video but nothing about black flags flying where the stars and bars used to be. So much for the fourth piller but just keep rooting for your team, Harp and I will vote for Gary Johnson and one of you can turn the lights off when it's over!

October 17, 2012 at 4:19 p.m.
alprova said...

JonRoss wrote: "alprova, despite Obama apologists twisting their asses in pretzels to the contrary, it was an apology tour. We all heard his words and saw his actions. All of us do not watch only CNN or listen only to NPR. The truth escapes to the light."

An apology always comes with the words, "I'm sorry" or the phrase "I apologize on behalf of the American people."

Now...you go dig up a video that proves that the President came close to offering anything...anything at all that could be determined to be offering an APOLOGY.

Quote the exact words.

"And the coal plant was ONE coal-burning plant that was obviously breaking all types of rules."

Spin, spin, spin...ah yes, the John H. Sununu defense.

I noticed that Mittens didn't offer that defense of his own words last night. Hhhmmmmm.

"The only thing I worry about now is whether Romney will be able to be inaugurated in public or whether the violence of the radical left represented by Obama will make the streets of D.C. so dangerous that marshal law will have to be imposed to rid the district of Obamathugs."

Sir, with all due respect, I have feared for almost four years that some redneck Tea-Partier would take a shot at the President. I will fear it even more if he is successfully reelected next month.

October 17, 2012 at 4:28 p.m.
DJHBRAINERD said...

Arguing semantics is silly.... a rose by any other name will smell as sweet.... I too fear something will happen to President Obama and cities will burn. Or like W was fond of just b4 the election the color code will elevate due to actionable inteligence.. kinda like some FBI sponsered yaawho will try to bomb the fed. Best to stay afraid, and the closer to the election the more to fear. Fair tax.. end the war on drugs.. reduce the scope of gov... yeah Gary Johnson is my man the rest of you can argue semantics

October 17, 2012 at 5 p.m.
raygunz said...

I saw a pic of a guy at a Rmoney rally with a tee-shirt saying "PUT THE WHITE BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE",, where do you wingers get sh#t like that? Campaign contributions to the RNC??

October 17, 2012 at 5:03 p.m.
mtngrl said...

It seems the crazy tea partiers are starting with themselves. Problem is they should not take the whole family (and should have at least waited till that first debate)

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981667297

October 17, 2012 at 5:07 p.m.
Rickaroo said...

Raygunz, as any Republican will tell you, they are NOT being racist in their hatred of Obama. It's just us liberals who are always playing the race card. That guy wearing the tee-shirt was probably just referring to how badly the White House needs a new coat of white paint or something and had nothing at all do do with Obama. Why, they would never stoop to name calling or racism. They're above that sort of thing, you know.

October 17, 2012 at 5:18 p.m.
miraweb said...

If you're dealing with a guy who says government doesn't create jobs right after he claims he will personally create 12 million jobs if given the top gig in government, it shouldn't be all that surprising when that guy becomes subsumed by his own demonstrable contradictions.

Great point! I think we owe it to the country to keep this guy in the private sector where he can really create jobs.

October 17, 2012 at 5:20 p.m.
Rickaroo said...

Alprova, that link you posted about Romney's tax plan was a hoot. Made me laugh out loud. This one about the "binders" is funny too. As bad as Romney will be for the economy if he gets elected, he'll no doubt be a gold mine for comedians. They'll get 4 years of solid material out of this buffoon.

October 17, 2012 at 5:21 p.m.
alprova said...

Thanks Rickaroo. I thought it was quite a hoot too.

October 17, 2012 at 5:24 p.m.
alprova said...

Josh Romney during the debate

http://imgur.com/a/odbCj

October 17, 2012 at 5:26 p.m.
miraweb said...

AP located a copy of Mitt's "Binder Full Of Women". The date on the cover is December 17, 2002. The Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus produced it.

The only trouble is Mitt didn't become governor until January 2, 2003.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/photos/E/ebb6d4e9-3cde-42ca-8f1b-44461fab9dc0.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

October 17, 2012 at 5:30 p.m.
alprova said...

CNN Fact Check: Obama's student aid boast on the mark

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/17/politics/fact-check-student-aid/index.html

October 17, 2012 at 5:34 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Well, I see that most of the leftists are home now after a hard day on the public payroll. Tough day at social services, boys?

October 17, 2012 at 5:52 p.m.
alprova said...
October 17, 2012 at 6:16 p.m.
moonpie said...

That was an impressive beatdown last night. The president finally said some things he should have pointed out in the first debate.

I'm not sure what happened in that first debate, but I don't think he had expected Romney to shift so far to the middle for the debate.

This time, when Mitt dodged, Obama contained him in the corner he'd painted for himself in the primary. Obama also drilled him on his tax plan, showing it for what it is - Fantasy.

Romney also basically said he was for affirmative action - unintentionally, of course - when he said that all his cabinet applicants were men and HE went in search of qualified women. The problem is .... it wasn't true. He didn't seek them out.

The man has been so far right and so far left on so many issues, he doesn't seem to know who he is.....

He's a political fun-wheel (like the Wheel of Fortune) ............. vote for him and see where he lands. God only knows.

October 17, 2012 at 6:19 p.m.
alprova said...

JonRoss wrote: "alprova you can cut and paste links and comments to/from CNN and other leftist sites but the fact that CNN or NPR says something doesn't make it true."

Sir, you can throw out wild accusations all day long with nothing at all to back them up and those machinations will never, ever be true.

My response to your latest post, claiming that the President went on an apology tour did not include a link to anything. I did post a link to Politifact initially, that you responded to. It's very hard for you to argue against what that site posts, because they document EVERYTHING.

I asked you to back up your claim that the President went on an apology tour, and you are still refusing to do so. Do you know why that is? It's because there is no such proof.

Your defense, "Nanny nanny, poo poo. I know more than you do..." just isn't going to cut it.

Here's another challenge for ya'. Prove that I have ever linked to one article that has ever appeared on NPR. I don't have any particular problem with them, but I very rarely ever read a thing they offer.

I link to sites that document their proof. CNN does that quite often and if facts are presented and backed up with documentation, you can bet that I will indeed link to it.

Sit there all day long and make accusations that "leftist sites" do not relate certain truths or facts.

Truths and facts will always be facts and truths, if they are backed up with documentation or video proof, and that will be the case whether it is on a site that leans left or to the right.

October 17, 2012 at 6:33 p.m.
alprova said...

Tu-QuoQue wrote: "Is this something you can backup or is it just more of your usual B.S. ramblings?"

It most certainly has been backed up...repeatedly. But let's go to the source.

MassGAP responded to what Mitt Romney claimed last night, a few hours ago;

"At the presidential debate last night, questions arose regarding how women candidates were identified for potential appointment to leadership roles by former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. What follows details the process that was created by the Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus in 2002 to maximize opportunities for women to be considered for key roles in Massachusetts government."

"The Massachusetts Government Appointments Project (MassGAP) was founded under the leadership of the MA Women’s Political Caucus in 2002 to address the issue of the under-representation of women in appointed positions in Massachusetts government.MassGAP brought together a nonpartisan coalition of over 25 women’s organizations to recruit women to apply for government positions within the administration, and recommend qualified women for those positions."

"Prior to the 2002 gubernatorial election, MassGAP approached the campaigns of candidates Shannon O’Brien and Mitt Romney and asked them both to commit to: (1).“Make best efforts” to ensure that the number of women in appointed state positions is proportionate to the population of women in Massachusetts; (2). Select a transition team whose composition is proportionate to the women in the Commonwealth; and (3). Meet with MassGAP representatives regularly during the appointments process. Both campaigns made a commitment to this process."

"Following the election, MassGAP formed committees for each cabinet post in the administration and began the process of recruiting, interviewing, and vetting women applicants. Those committees selected top applicants for each position and presented this information to the administration for follow-up interviews and consideration for appointment."

"Prior to the 2002 election, women comprised approximately 30 percent of appointed senior-level positions in Massachusetts government. By 2004, 42 percent of the new appointments made by the Romney administration were women. Subsequently, however, from 2004-2006 the percentage of newly-appointed women in these senior appointed positions dropped to 25 percent."

"MassGAP is proud to have the Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus as our lead sponsor and we are grateful to all of the women who have devoted their time and energy to making this project a continued success. The Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization founded in 1971 to increase the number of women elected and appointed to public office and public policy positions and to maximize the participation of women of all ages in the political process."

http://www.mwpc.org/news/featured.php

October 17, 2012 at 6:51 p.m.
alprova said...

Apparently, there are some people in this nation who cannot understand that intelligence is not an exact science.

I'm sure that some of the very same people who ignored the now known fact that there was a lack of credible intelligence surrounding WMD's in Iraq, but for some reason, find it so difficult to accept that the confusion surrounding the attack on the Benghazi, Libya was also due to a lack of credible intelligence.

People are going to believe whatever they want, despite any and all evidence that proves that the details were fuzzy for several weeks as to what led up to the killing of four people in Benghazi.

People wanted to know what happened. The White House related what it had been told. What they were told was not correct. Fox News, who bashed the President for weeks over the misinformation, is the only news organization I am aware of, that came forward with an explanation as to why the details offered by the White House were incorrect for at least two weeks.

Those details are still not clear. The details are still under investigation.

The White House knew and related that what happened was an act of terror.

Anyone attempting to claim otherwise is and will forever be a total idiot.

October 17, 2012 at 7:07 p.m.
hotdiggity said...

Wow the Cons are dizzy with all the spin after last night.

October 17, 2012 at 7:18 p.m.
fairmon said...

Alprova opined......

All this quibbling over the use of the phrase "spontaneous attack" has become a little more than silly. Planned or not, the event was spontaneous. It was not as if the terrorists announced themselves a week before they attacked the compound in Banghazi.

True, no announcement they were planning an attack but are you sure there was no planning going on before hand? I support being quiet and assuring a thorough and unbiased investigation. I would not dare take a strong position on the issue until that happens.

I doubt the president knew it was a planned terrorist attack then went around talking about and having others talk like it was the video unless he believed the attack was caused by the video. I may feel better if he did know and tried to hide it from me than to admit he didn't know and still doesn't. The intelligence community thus far has escaped criticism but they are chalking up a lot of failures. There is one certain fact there was a failure that resulted in the death of 4 Americans that could have and should have been prevented. I won't buy the it is a dangerous job and things happen explanation. That means there was nothing we could have done and it could happen again tomorrow.

This is not a suggestion Romney or Gary Johnson would have done better unless they are willing to vacate the middle east entirely, severe all ties. I would have no issue with that or concern about the hardship it may cause some in the U.S.

October 17, 2012 at 7:23 p.m.
fairmon said...

miraweb said... I'm pretty sure that the way you control a male with a paint ball gun is to promise him an afternoon of interrupted time with it if he starts cleaning out the basement. You might have to throw in a football game to be sure.

mirawweb you are mean. You know how to manipulate and control us men. I am sure women have a secret book they learn from. I tried reading COSOMPOLITAN but that didn't help.

October 17, 2012 at 7:28 p.m.
dude_abides said...

Two questions...

1) Why would the Obama administration want to mislead the public, telling us that the Benghazi attack was borne out of a protest, instead of an act of terror? It doesn't seem like the administration would look better or worse in either case. The knock from Romney, et al, is lack of security. Is a planned terrorist attack any more difficult or easy to stop than an attack spawned from a violent protest?

2) Would you, if you were part of the administration, believe that nobody would ever know the truth if you (for some unexplained reason) lied?

Aha! I got me!! -Mitt Romney

October 17, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.
fairmon said...
October 17, 2012 at 7:35 p.m.
alprova said...

Jack_Dennis wrote: "Well, I see that most of the leftists are home now after a hard day on the public payroll. Tough day at social services, boys?"

Ah yes...another senior citizen who spends his days in front of a computer screen, apparently suffering an extreme case of amnesia or perhaps dementia, for failing to remember where the source of his own income and health care comes from.

You have the audacity to accuse others of being on the "public payroll?"

That's funny...

October 17, 2012 at 7:38 p.m.
miraweb said...

Bain was criticized under Romney's watch for not having very many women in the senior leadership.

They aren't doing all that much better now. Here is their face book of Managing Directors:

http://www.baincapitalprivateequity.com/team?title=39

October 17, 2012 at 7:49 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Alprova noted: “Rosh Romney during the debate.” http://imgur.com/a/odbCj

Yikes. . . He looks absolutely mortified. . . The photo must have been taken around the time Mitt Romney was sharing the news about “his binders full of women."

October 17, 2012 at 7:53 p.m.
miraweb said...

By my count that is 4 of 49 (or 8%) are women. Even the Harvard Business School is up to 30%.

October 17, 2012 at 7:53 p.m.
alprova said...

Harp3339 wrote: "True, no announcement they were planning an attack but are you sure there was no planning going on before hand?"

Of course there was planning that was done before that day. Those who carried out the attack were in place, weren't they?

What difference does that make?

Apparently, whomever was in charge locally in Libya for the security of the Americans there, failed to communicate up the chain, any credible threat that may have existed.

"I doubt the president knew it was a planned terrorist attack then went around talking about and having others talk like it was the video unless he believed the attack was caused by the video."

It's refreshing to read someone type that.

"I may feel better if he did know and tried to hide it from me than to admit he didn't know and still doesn't."

Why? In those early days, he tried to pass on what had been communicated to himself. Had he zipped his lips and said nothing at all, that would have been twice as bad.

"The intelligence community thus far has escaped criticism but they are chalking up a lot of failures. There is one certain fact there was a failure that resulted in the death of 4 Americans that could have and should have been prevented. I won't buy the it is a dangerous job and things happen explanation. That means there was nothing we could have done and it could happen again tomorrow."

It COULD happen again tomorrow. Anyone who is imagining that our consulates are armed fortresses, is quite delusional. The security is minimal. In many locations, it is not American military forces who guard consulates. Many locations utilize local security personnel, rather than Marines.

"This is not a suggestion Romney or Gary Johnson would have done better unless they are willing to vacate the middle east entirely, severe all ties."

Harp...it's a nice thought, but people who feel that isolating the United States from the rest of the world are not realists.

"I would have no issue with that or concern about the hardship it may cause some in the U.S."

Having ties to other nations, or even all nations across the globe is smart policy and it will continue until the end of time.

If you believe in God and believe that he put us all down here with all our racial, cultural, and linguistic differences, for some reason, then you have to believe that we must find a way to coexist.

October 17, 2012 at 8:01 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

ALPO, you my bloviating friend, know NOTHING about my personal situation. Why? Because I don't vomit personal info like you. Why? Because no one gives a rat's patooty about my personal life, or yours either for that matter. As for my own income, I can assure you that I'm not dependent on the gubment for income. Are we clear, Cliff?

October 17, 2012 at 8:02 p.m.
dude_abides said...

Ah! Found my own answer! It's the President's narrative! He has us all believing that al Qaeda no longer exists! Now I get it. Sneaky ole Barack was keeping it under wraps! If only Benghazi hadn't happened, he could have kept us in the dark in perpetuity!

October 17, 2012 at 8:20 p.m.
degage said...

Just, You must not have watched Crowley after the debate in the spin room. She admitted it.

I have one other thing to say to you liberals. I don't see you condemming the tweet about riots if Obama loses and the tweet about assassinating Romney, Must mean you want that to happen. Talk about lovers of peace, Not. You keep harping how bad the conservatives are but you are ten times worse if you condone this kind of behavior.

October 17, 2012 at 8:21 p.m.
alprova said...

Tu_quoque wrote: "Sure sounds to me that it went down just the way Romney described it and not how Cowpie did and the number of women in his administration was very high compared to others."

Then you have no comprehension skills.

Mitt Romney did not seek or request those binders, as he claimed.

MassGAP approached his campaign and submitted them.

October 17, 2012 at 8:31 p.m.
alprova said...

Jack_Dennis wrote: "ALPO, you my bloviating friend, know NOTHING about my personal situation."

Jack, you my barb throwing nemesis, know NOTHING about most other people who participate in this forum.

"Why? Because I don't vomit personal info like you."

Some things are evident, even if you don't admit to them.

"Why? Because no one gives a rat's patooty about my personal life, or yours either for that matter."

That's okay. I'll continue to type what I want and you feel free to do the same.

"As for my own income, I can assure you that I'm not dependent on the gubment for income."

Sure you aren't.

October 17, 2012 at 8:39 p.m.
dude_abides said...

The debate was like the Denver vs. San Diego game Monday night. The President being Peyton Manning.

Remarkable that Romney ran from Bush like the plague, if the economy is not Bush's fault. He let Obama be the only man on the floor with anything gracious to say about the former President.

October 17, 2012 at 8:45 p.m.
Walden said...

Been gone a while, but just checked back in. Umm, lot's of talk here, but bottom line is, it's over. Romney is our next President. Done.

October 17, 2012 at 8:52 p.m.
miraweb said...

In fact, MassGAP submitted their hard work to both Romney and his opponent in that race long before the election.

If he'd told that story straight, he probably would have been fine. That technique doesn't seem to be in his make-up.

I did wince with his "go home to cook dinner" idea of workplace flexibility and that he seemed to think that women would naturally get jobs once the economy heated up enough to get all the men back to work.

His church taught for many years as a formal teaching that women who worked were doing their families a disservice.

I think they've backed down a little on that but he would have been a leader in the church when that was very much the official teaching.

He never answered the question about the Lily Ledbetter legislation.

October 17, 2012 at 8:53 p.m.
Walden said...

Done, done, done. No matter how many pixels and hours alprova wastes, it's over.

October 17, 2012 at 8:57 p.m.
dude_abides said...

Take care, Walden. If that's all you offer, don't feel it necessary to 'drop in' so often.

October 17, 2012 at 9 p.m.
miraweb said...

This was the official view of the church as of 2003. I know I'll take a couple of shots for putting this up, but Romney claimed he was a pastor in the debate, so his views are relevant:


Today there is significant pressure in our materialistic world to have and to spend more money. Unfortunately this draws married mothers to work outside the home to provide a second family income.

As husbands, wives, and children recognize the difference between basic necessities and material wants--as manifest in the choice of house, household furnishings, car, entertainment, travel, etc.--they lessen family financial burdens and contribute to helping mothers be at home.

Some years ago President Benson delivered a message to the women of the Church. He encouraged them to leave their employment and give their individual time to their children. I sustain the position which he took.

Nevertheless, I recognize, as he recognized, that there are some women (it has become very many in fact) who have to work to provide for the needs of their families.

To you I say, do the very best you can. I hope that if you are employed full-time you are doing it to ensure that basic needs are met and not simply to indulge a taste for an elaborate home, fancy cars, and other luxuries.


Some of Romney's awkwardness may just be cognitive dissonence between his personal beliefs and his public life.

Source:

http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=895

October 17, 2012 at 9:16 p.m.
alprova said...

Walden wrote: "Done, done, done. No matter how many pixels and hours alprova wastes, it's over."

That's what Sarah Palin said four years ago.

October 17, 2012 at 9:23 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Mira: you just can't refrain from playing the religion card, can you? Must be a left-wing thing.

October 17, 2012 at 9:34 p.m.
miraweb said...

I think this is very relevant.

If a man teaches his congregation that women who hold jobs are sinful and greedy and then runs for public office, that view is relevant no matter what church he stands with.

It may be very tough for Romney to state a position on equal pay for women who work if he holds the belief that most women really should not be there in the first place.

If Romney's religiously based position on abortion is relevant to the election, his religiously based position on workplace equality is equally so.

Pastor is essentially accurate for Romney (in Catholic terms his position was equivalent to a bishop in a diocese). However, there are not formal credentials, training, degrees, or paychecks for that position in his church.

October 17, 2012 at 9:51 p.m.
dude_abides said...

Jack_, it's awesome how you can distill a half-thought down to 2 sentences.

October 17, 2012 at 10:04 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

thanks, dude_!

October 17, 2012 at 10:25 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Miraweb noted: “Some of Romney's awkwardness may just be cognitive dissonance between his personal beliefs and his public life.”

Well, I can only say that whatever slinky’s personal beliefs are his morals are certainly not strong enough to prevent him from peddling cigarettes to his fellow citizens and their children:

“It turns out that Mitt Romney made millions and saved the company he was running by peddling cigarettes in the former Soviet Union and in the United States in the early 90s.

Mitt left Bain Capital to lead Bain & Company from disaster. One of the ways he infused the company with cash was by pushing tobacco.

According to the reporting, “In 1992, Bain approached British American Tobacco – the international conglomerate behind Kool, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Benson & Hedges – offering a lucrative partnership in Russia. It worked.”

Romney was already familiar with the tobacco industry, the industry giant Phillip Morris was a domestic client.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/10/16/opinion-mitt-romney-the-cigarette-peddler/

October 17, 2012 at 10:40 p.m.
yaffay said...

Clever cartoon, Clay. She will certainly fit in Romney's infamous binder if he flattens her with that engine.

October 17, 2012 at 10:45 p.m.
fairmon said...

miraweb said....

I did wince with his "go home to cook dinner" idea of workplace flexibility and that he seemed to think that women would naturally get jobs once the economy heated up enough to get all the men back to work.

Your bias causes you to see and hear things different. I think the subject was single women...did you record it, I sure didn't? It is illegal to pay women less for like work but it still happens. There are also cases albeit fewer of women being paid more than men by an employer for similar work.

Some teen age drug, drinking and spoiled issues are attributed in part to the mother or father not being able to be at home and involved daily with the children. Of course there are cases where the kids are better off if both work instead of being at home full time.

October 17, 2012 at 10:46 p.m.
fairmon said...

alprova said....

Harp...it's a nice thought, but people who feel that isolating the United States from the rest of the world are not realists.

I said the middle east which is far from the rest of the world. We do not have to be as involved in that region or north Africa as we are. We can provide protection to civilian Americans in service to the country consistent with the situation and risk they are exposed to or we can remove them. We are not required to maintain an ambassador in every country of crazies in the world.

October 17, 2012 at 10:56 p.m.
fairmon said...

alpro responded with....

Having ties to other nations, or even all nations across the globe is smart policy and it will continue until the end of time.

If you believe in God and believe that he put us all down here with all our racial, cultural, and linguistic differences, for some reason, then you have to believe that we must find a way to coexist.

Having ties and communicating does not require being up to your arse in their business or turmoil. We are not the world police and have no obligation to fund and fix every screwed up country in the world.

I do believe and have faith. Remember the story about the tower to heaven and how God scattered them causing them to speak different languages etc. etc. Perhaps man has violated what God intended? Perhaps the difficulty of intermingling which is more than coexisting is as designed? I don't know if it is or not but neither do you or Obama or Romney or any other politician. So, please don't tell me what I have to believe about coexisting to qualify as believing in God.

October 17, 2012 at 11:09 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Harp3339 suggests: "Perhaps man has violated what God intended? Perhaps the difficulty of intermingling which is more than coexisting is as designed?"

I've always found that some people have more difficulty than others when it comes to coexisting. As to what God intended, I think the directive in Mark 12:31 is very straightforward:

Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

There is none other commandment greater than these.

October 17, 2012 at 11:35 p.m.
miraweb said...

The difficult part is we need ambassadors more in places where there may be danger. Otherwise it's just dinners, ribbon cuttings and the odd press release.

We can take our marbles and go home but we know that doesn't always mean they will choose to leave us alone as well.

October 17, 2012 at 11:38 p.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.