• Chattanooga Bible Institute, 1815 McCallie Ave.; short-term classes for women: reading/discussion group on "Hinds' Feet on High Places," 5:30-7:30 p.m. for 12 weeks starting Thursday; study of 35 names of God, "Knowing God by Name: A Personal Encounter," 9:30-11:30 a.m. for eight weeks starting Friday; study on destructive self-talk and the practice of godly biblical soul-talk, "Me, Myself and Lies: A Thought-Closet Makeover," noon-2 p.m. for seven weeks starting Friday; key concepts of Christ-centered self-worth, "Search for Significance," 10 a.m.-noon for eight weeks starting Tuesday, Sept. 11; $40 per course; 266-4574.
• Red Bank Baptist Church, 4000 Dayton Blvd.; 5-6 p.m. Sundays, Sept. 9-Dec. 2; Hamilton County Baptist Association-sponsored citizenship classes; free but $20 materials fee; 510-0215.
• Tyner United Methodist Church, 6805 Standifer Gap Road (Room 207); 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesdays beginning Sept. 4; "Jesus in the Gospels," adult class led by the Rev. Charlie Harrison; $45 (for two workbooks); 892-0444.
• Unitarian Universalist Church, 3224 Navajo Drive; 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 8; United Church of God-sponsored Kingdom of God seminar on the future of humanity as seen through the lens of the Bible, led by United Church of God pastor Roy Holladay; free; 423-910-0230, 513-576-9796 or www.kog seminars.org.
• Avondale Community Center, 1305 Dodson Ave.; 11 a.m.-2 p.m. today; Fall Blast sponsored by Christ Community Church, a newly planted congregation, features food, information and activities for all ages; free; 635-9381, 488-0802 or 260-0302.
• Chattanooga First Seventh-day Adventist Church, 7450 Standifer Gap Road (Activity Center); 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 9; Community Health Expo features blood pressure, body mass index, body fat percentage, blood glucose, cholesterol, breath capacity, Harvard step test, health age and foot screenings, plus hourly health presentations, Memorial Hospital's Mobile Mammography Coach, children's programming and prizes; free; 396-2197.
• Lee University, Parker and 11th streets (Conn Center); 10:40 a.m. Thursday; chapel address by author, professor emeritus of sociology at Eastern University and ordained American Baptist Church minister Dr. Tony Campolo; free; 614-8420.
• Hurst United Methodist Church, 829 Dallas Road; 6-9 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 8; "Jazz Up Your Marriage," class by First Things First provides couples practical skills for creating a healthy relationship with a daily dose of passion; 267-5383.
• Living Waters PCG, 289 Hannah Road, Cleveland, Tenn.; 6 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 9; concert by Reign Song; 476-2166.
Philadelphia Baptist Church, 1065 Pine Grove Road, Ringgold, Ga.; •Friday Night Sing features New Day Gospel Quartet and Henry Potter; 706-891-5683.
• St. Francis of Assisi Episcopal Church, 7555 Ooltewah-Georgetown Road; 10 a.m. Sunday; Ladies of Lee (University) guest singers for service, with carillon concert and parish picnic following service; 238-7708 or www.sfaec.org.
• Benedictine Sisters Retreat Center, 916 Convent Road, Cullman, Ala.; 7:30 p.m. through Saturday, Sept. 8; "Love Your Mother," retreat for Catholic adults led by the Rev. John G. McDonald focuses on prayer and discernment as guides for work in the church; $75 for shared room or $85 for private room (includes housing and meals); 256-734-8302 or email retreats@shmon.
• The Rev. Andy Cornett has been called as pastor for youth and family by Signal Mountain Presbyterian Church, 612 James Blvd. ... The Rev. Pauline Pezzino has resigned as pastor of Resurrection Lutheran Church, 4309 Ooltewah-Ringgold Road, to accept a call as associate pastor at Messiah Lutheran Church in Knoxville. Her last day at Resurrection Lutheran will be Sept. 23.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...