published Saturday, April 6th, 2013

Morning fire leaves elderly Chattanooga couple homeless

Fire
Get directions:  To here - From here

Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire shortly before 1 this morning at 205 Winchester St.

Capt. Shellie Thorne with Engine 12 said both of the elderly residents were out of the house when the first firefighters arrived on the scene.

The female resident told firefighters a smoke alarm woke her up. When she ran to the rear bedroom to alert her husband, she saw an electrical outlet beside the bed, on fire. She woke up her husband and both escaped unharmed. After getting outside, they called 911.

Thorne said a Chattanooga police patrol officer noticed the family dog lying just inside the front door and pulled him to safety. The firefighters got the blaze under control quickly, containing most of the fire damage to the rear of the structure.

The couple said they would be staying with their son while the house is repaired.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental, most likely from an electrical malfunction.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.