• Chattanooga Bible Institute, 1815 McCallie Ave.; 10 a.m.-noon beginning Tuesday; "Hinds' Feet on High Places," 12-week reading/discussion class for women; other women's classes available: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, "Me, Myself and Lies: A Thought-Closet Makeover"; 9:30-11:30 a.m. Fridays, "James: Mercy Triumphs"; and noon-2 p.m. Fridays, "Boundaries: When to Say Yes, When to Say No, to Take Control of Your Life"; $40 per class, including materials; 266-4574.
• Standifer Gap Seventh-day Adventist School, 8255 Standifer Gap Road; beginning 7-8:15 p.m. Monday; eight-session StepFast Program series on nutrition and lifestyle choices, including DVD and live presentations, food samples, demonstrations, recipes, blood pressure readings and blood sugar sampling; $15 per person or couple for series (vegetarian cookbook free for attending four or more sessions); 892-6013.
• Chamberlain Baptist Church, 4064 S. Access Road; 7 p.m. Friday; concert by singer/songwriter Squire Parsons; free but love offering received; 624-4323.
• Collegedale Seventh-day Adventist Church, 4829 College Drive (youth room); 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 20-Feb. 20; six-session, video-based "The Art of Marriage" seminar includes teaching, stories, testimonies, interviews and humor; free; optional manual is $35, free child care available; 396-2134 or FamilyLife.com/TheArtof Marriage.
• First Baptist Church, 2645 LaFayette Road, Fort Oglethorpe, Ga.; 6-7:15 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Jan. 16; six-week First Things First video series, "The Art of Marriage," for adults interested in marriage or who want to enrich their marriage; free (dinner available 5-6 p.m. for minimal charge); 706-866-0232.
• Benedictine Sisters Retreat Center, 916 Convent Road, Cullman, Ala.; 6 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18; noon meal Sunday, Jan. 20; introductory centering prayer retreat; $210 per person, including private room and meals; 256-734-8302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...