• Saturday, July 13: Tomato cooking demo, Brainerd Farmers Market, 20 Belvoir Ave., 10 a.m.-noon.
• Thursday, July 18: Tomato cooking demo, Signal Mountain Farmers Market, 2815 Anderson Pike, 4-6 p.m.
• Thursday, July 25: Tomato Pie Contest, Signal Mountain Farmers Market, 4-6 p.m.
• Monday, Aug. 5: Canning class, UT Extension of Hamilton County, 6183 Adamson Circle, 6-8 p.m. RSVP at 423-855-6113.
• Thursday, Aug. 15: “Experiencing Slow Food,” Hunter Museum, 10 Bluff View, 6 p.m.
• Saturday, Aug. 31: Tomato cooking class, Mia Cucina, 345 Frazier Ave., 6 p.m. RSVP at 423-265-4474.
Odes to tomatoes include everything from songs to sandwiches. Now, area residents can count cooking demonstrations, contests and classes as well.
Two will be held at the Signal Mountain Farmers Market. Manager Teresa Garland says the events are a way “for folks to get to know their farmer, exchange recipes, learn new cooking methods and feel part of their community.”
Gaining Ground, which promotes the local food movement, is sponsoring an online tomato recipe contest for a chance to win a farmers market gift certificate. The organization also has farmer-inspired recipe cards available at area farmers markets.
For more information, visit growchattanooga.org.