IF YOU GO
What: Foothills Country Fair.
When: 5:30-9 p.m. today, July 25 (pageant only); 4-10 p.m. Friday, July 26; 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, July 27
Where: Tri-State Exhibition Center, 200 Landfill Road, Cleveland, Tenn. (Take Exit 20 off I-75.)
Admission: Today, free for all ages. Friday, $10 ages 13 and up, $3 ages 6-12 (includes concert). Saturday, $5 ages 13 and up, $3 ages 6-12. Friday-Saturday pins, $10 (see list of outlets for purchase). Hand stamp available for same-day re-entry
PIN SALES OUTLETS
Pins for Friday-Saturday admission are available for $10 at the following locations: Bank of Cleveland (all locations); Ace Hardware of Cleveland; Cleveland-Bradley Teachers Credit Union; Check Into Cash (Cleveland locations); U.S. Money Shop (Cleveland); First Volunteer Bank (Highway 58 in Chattanooga).
Today, July 25
• 5:30-9 p.m. Gates open
• 6-9 p.m. Pageant contests
Friday, July 26
• 4-10 p.m. Gates open
• 4-7 p.m. Rick Dellinger on Ruritan Stage; games and contest in Kids Area
• 7 p.m. Big Wheel and Tennessee stick horse races
• 8 p.m. Mustang Sally concert
• 9 p.m. Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder
• 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
• 10:30 a.m. Baby pageant on Ruritan Stage
• 11:30-2:30 People's Choice barbecue contest
• 1 p.m. KCBS Backyard BBQ Bash
• 1-6 p.m. Rick Dellinger on Ruritan Stage, plus Big Wheel and Tennessee stick horse races and Boot Strut contest
• 7 p.m. Demolition derby
The Foothills Country Fair hits the 10-year mark this weekend with entertainment by a country/bluegrass legend and the return of a big-time barbecue competition to Cleveland, Tenn. The three-day festival starts today, July 25, at the Tri-State Exhibition Center with the pageant portion of the festivities.
Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder are set to headline at 9 p.m. on Friday, July 26, following an opening set at 8 p.m. by Mustang Sally. A demolition derby will highlight the final night, at 7 p.m. on Saturday, July 27.
Forty-six professional teams have signed on for the Backyard BBQ Bash, a Tennessee state championship event sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society and open only to KCBS members. The field includes competitors from as far away as Louisiana, Michigan, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Texas. Last year's champions, the Warren County Pork Choppers, of Bowling Green, Ky., will be back to defend their title. Eight teams will represent the tri-state area for the chance to win $15,000 in prize money.
Twenty-three teams, including eight from the region, will take part in the Amateur Backyard BBQ Bash. Up for grabs for the nonprofessionals is $1,500 in prize money.
Earlier this week, Bradley County residents dropped off their handiwork for blue-ribbon judging. Categories (63 for adults, 21 for youth) range from best jar of green beans to best landscape photography. Entries will be on display throughout the festival.
Games and contests including Big Wheel and Tennessee stick horse races will take place Friday and Saturday, and the World's Tallest Pinball will be open for play. Rick Dellinger will perform on the Ruritan Stage on Friday and Saturday. Lawn chairs are recommended for seating.
The Foothills Country Fair is produced by an all-volunteer team representing nine Ruritan clubs from Bradley and Hamilton counties. Proceeds from the fair are used by the clubs to fund community-service projects.
REGIONAL PARTICIPANTS IN BACKYARD BBQ BASH
• Chattanooga: German Redneck Cooker, The Bald Hog
• Dalton, Ga.: American Bar-B-Que
• Fyffe, Ala.: Bailey Smoker's
• Ringgold, Ga.: Chatty Town BBQ
• Soddy-Daisy: Blue Hole BBQ
• Tellico Plains, Tenn.: Smoke on the Creek
• Tullahoma, Tenn.: Prince of Pigs BBQ
REGIONAL PARTICIPANTS IN AMATEUR BACKYARD BBQ BASH
• Calhoun, Ga.: Fat Bottom BBQ
• Chickamauga, Ga.: Q-inator
• Cleveland, Tenn.: Country Cuts BBQ, Fat Boy's BBQ, Hilly Billy's Barnyard BBQ, Just Smoke It
• Evensville, Tenn.: C&H BBQ, G BBQ
• Fort Payne, Ala.: Hi Tech Redneck
• Ooltewah: Boz's BBQ, Owls Nest BBQ
• Ringgold, Ga.: 1st & 10 Pigskin BBQ
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
Expect to see some mutton bustin' at the Franklin County Fair next week.
BACK COUNTRY HORSEMEN -- Athens Diner, 925 Congress Parkway, Athens, Tenn. Southern Appalachian Back Country Horsemen members give presentations on ...
Ringgold celebrates with 1890s Day street festival
Ringgold, Ga., is throwing its annual street festival, 1890s Day Jamboree, starting Friday night, May 24, and continuing all day ...