• Collegedale Community Church, 4995 Swinyar Drive, Room 240; 7:15 p.m. Tuesday; “iWake — Killing Your Dark InVader” seminar is an in-depth look at discovering why pain is the key to purity and power; led by grief counselor Kevin Becker; free; child care provided; 762-2907.
• Community Holiness Church, 634 Back Valley Road, Dayton, Tenn.; 6 p.m. today; concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; free; 421-4269; also, Mooneyham Church of God, 43 Frazier St., Pikeville, Tenn., 5 p.m. CDT Sunday.
• Mountain View Christian Church, 9118 Snow Hill Road, Ooltewah; 7 p.m. Friday; gospel concert by oft-honored, traveling quartet The Texans, in conjunction with 28th anniversary/Homecoming on Sunday, Aug. 11; free but love offering taken; 344-7849.
• St. Marks United Methodist Church, 701 Mississippi Ave.; 5:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday and 5:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 6; “Secrets to Lasting Love,” hands-on seminar led by First Things First; 267-5383 or firsthings.org.
• Jewish Federation of Greater Chattanooga/Chattanooga First Church of the Nazarene, South Terrace Road; 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday; concurrent Philanthropy Camp for rising first- through sixth-graders and Camp Tikkun Olam for rising seventh- through ninth-graders, both regardless of religious affiliation; $120 for first camper and $100 for additional sibling; snacks provided but campers bring own lunch; 493-0270, ext. 10, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vacation Bible schools
• East Chattanooga Church of God, 4872 Jersey Pike; 7-9 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, Aug. 3, and 10:45 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 4 (family festival); ages 3-sixth grade; theme: “God Trek”; 894-7526 or www.godtrekvbs.eventbrite.com.
• Rock Spring United Methodist Church, 3477 Peavine Road, Rock Spring, Ga.; 5:15-8 p.m. Thursday-Friday, and 4-8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 3; meals included; ages preschool-fifth grade; theme: “SonWest Roundup”; 919-491-6600 or email email@example.com.
• Daisy United Methodist Church, 9508 Dayton Pike, Soddy-Daisy; 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 3; ages 4-fifth grade; theme: “Jonah: A Whale of a Tale”; 332-3243.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...
related articles »
Chattanooga Modern Quilt Guild: Wallys Restaurant, 6521 Ringgold Road, 10 a.m., visitors welcome. 423-364-0684.
• Mizpah Congregation, 923 McCallie Ave.; 9 a.m. today, Shabbat Weekend breakfast, Torah study, “What Makes Jewish Food Jewish,” and ...
ACT PLAYHOUSE -- 907 Gaston St., Dalton Ga. 706-278-4796, www.actdalton.org. "Happy Days: A New Musical," based on the 1970s television ...
• Dalton Seventh-day Adventist Church, 300 S. Tibbs Road, Dalton, Ga.; 12:30-7:30 p.m. Saturday, June 8, 12:30-6 p.m. Sunday-Saturday, June ...