Two cadets earn places on Citadel Summerall Guards
The 2014 Summerall Guards, a silent drill platoon at The Citadel, made its debut on March 9 during Corps Day Weekend.
Two regional students are among 61 rising seniors who have gone through rigorous drill and physical training to be selected as members of the Summerall Guards -- David Thomas Hatch of Signal Mountain, Fifth Battalion staff, and Maverick Thomas Suits of LaFayette, Ga., Oscar Company.
Created in 1932, the Summerall Guards are named for Gen. Charles P. Summerall, former chief of staff of the U.S. Army and president of The Citadel from 1931 until 1953.
Tygart receives VFW Award
Connor Tygart received the Veterans of Foreign Wars Naval Sea Cadet Award from Chattanooga VFW Post 98 on March 9.
Connor has participated in the Chattanooga Division, Sea Cadet program since 2008. The leadership program is for ages 13 to 17 interested in learning more about the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Merchant Marines.
Memorial set for submarine veterans
Submariners lost in the line of duty in 65 submarines will be remembered on Saturday, April 6, at the Tolling of the Boats.
The memorial will begin at 11 a.m. aboard the Southern Belle riverboat and will be led by members of the USS Carbonero Base, U.S. Submarine Veterans.
The veterans group is a nonprofit, national organization with more than 13,000 members in 150 chapters (bases) nationwide.
The event is open to the public. For more information, email Alan W. Syler at email@example.com.
Basic training graduates
• Lackland Air Force Base: Airman 1st Class Joshua E. Benton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Benton, 2012 graduate of the University of Tennessee; Air National Guard Airman James M. Agnew, 2000 graduate of Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences and 2006 graduate of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga; Air Force Airman Brittany D. Ward, daughter of Danny Ward of Decatur, graduate of McMinn County High School.
• Fort Benning: Army Spec. Edward L. Bullard, son of James and Melissa Bullard of Chapel Hill, N.C., graduate of McCallie School and the University of Southern California.
• Fort Jackson: Army Pvt. Jordan T. Beirne, son of Cindy and Kevin Beirne, graduate of Grace Baptist Academy; Army National Guard Pvt. Zannie G. Carabo, son of Linda and Zannie Carabo of Ringgold, graduate of Ringgold High School; Army Reserve Pfc. Matthew R. Gainey, son of Patricia and Patrick Gainey of Chatsworth, Ga., graduate of North Murray High School.
• Fort Leonard Wood: Army National Guard Pfc. Gabriel N. French, son of Tracy French of Dayton, graduate of Rhea County High School.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...
related articles »
* Fort Benning: Army National Guard Pvt. Joseph G. Hawks, son of Vicki Hicks, graduate of Sequoyah High School; Army ...
Army Pfc. Ashley W. Shameire has been decorated with the Army Achievement Medal.
Chattanooga Lt. Jennifer Elliott was among the U.S. Navy Seabees of Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 7 who have partnered with ...
Smith receives veterans award