published Tuesday, March 19th, 2013

Hixson motel evacuated after elevated levels of carbon monoxide detected; two women taken to hospital

Firemen are shown outside the Holiday Inn Express in Hixson where there were elevated levels of carbon monoxide.
Firemen are shown outside the Holiday Inn Express in Hixson where there were elevated levels of carbon monoxide.
Contributed Photo by Bruce Garner
4820 Hixson Pike
Get directions:  To here - From here

Chattanooga firefighters had to evacuate the Holiday Inn Express in Hixson after two housekeeping staff members fell ill from elevated levels of carbon monoxide, according to a released statement.

Firefighters responded at about 10:30 a.m. today after the employees began feeling nauseous and dizzy. When one of them began vomiting, someone from the motel called 911, according to Battalion Chief Rick Sewell.

Both women were transported to Memorial Hospital in Hixson. One of the women was treated and released while the other was admitted for further observation and stabilization.

Sewell ordered the evacuation of the motel located at 4820 Hixson Pike. High-powered fans were set up to ventilate the building before the building was turned back over to the motel management, according to the release.

Sewell said motel maintenance and technicians with the Chattanooga Gas Co. will work to determine the source of the leak to make repairs.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.