* When: 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 30.
* Where: City Park near Blue Ridge Scenic Railway station, 241 Depot St.
* Registration/rehearsal: 8:45/9 a.m. at Blue Ridge Mountains Arts Association, 420 W. Main St. $10 participant registration fee.
* Things to know: This seventh anniversary performance will be held outdoors as part of Light Up Blue Ridge.
* When: 6:45 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 1.
* Where: Rock City, 1400 Patten Road.
* Registration/rehearsal: 4:30/5 p.m. $10 participant registration fee; free Rock City admission for musicians.
* Things to know: One of Rock City’s nightly musical performances during the Enchanted Garden of Lights.
The deep sounds of the brass family’s largest instrument will resonate throughout the region in coming weeks. The occasion is TubaChristmas, a series of holiday concerts presented exclusively by tuba and euphonium players. The smaller euphonium is sometimes called a tenor tuba.
2013 marks the 40th anniversary of TubaChristmas. The first concert was performed on Dec. 22, 1974, in New York City.
Four area concerts are listed at www.tubachristmas.com. They include Blue Ridge, Ga., and Lookout Mountain, Ga., this weekend. Still to come are December shows in Harriman and Etowah, Tenn. Players typically rehearse an hour or so before each show, so walk-ups are welcome. Festive attire, to match the festive music, is encouraged.
Though it’s not a TubaChristmas performance, fans of the instrument can catch the Tennessee Tech Tuba Ensemble in a Christmas Tubas show on Dec. 7 in Crossville, Tenn.
Find out more at www.tubachristmas.com.