The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team will have its annual Blue-Gold intrasquad meet at 11:30 this morning at the First Tennessee Pavilion, preceding UTC's 2 p.m. Southern Conference football game against The Citadel at adjacent Finley Stadium. The public is invited to the wrestling exhibition, and admission is free. Matchups are Zach Bridson vs. Byron Smith (125 pounds), Mike Pongracz vs. Nick Soto (133), Austin Woods vs. Austin Sams (141), Kevin Cooper vs. Michael Hooker (149), Alex Hudson vs. Jared Presley (157), Corey Mock vs. Trey Stavrum (165), Sean Mappes vs. Levi Clemons (174), D.J. Franklin-Smith vs. John Shrader (184), Jared Johnson vs. Clay Dent (197) and Scottie Boykin vs. Kevin Malone (285). The Mocs open the season on Nov. 8, facing Cumberland at 5 p.m. and Wisconsin at 6:30 at Maclellan Gym.
• Garrison Dale scored twice as the Covenant College men's soccer team won 3-1 in USA South play Friday at Averett in Danville, Ga. Noah Wiersema assisted on Dale's header goal in the 26th minute, and Dale converted a penalty kick late in the first half, after Averett netted the tying score. Hudson Brock scored unassisted for the Scots (10-5-3, 4-3-1) in the 62nd minute, and Shuler Polk made six saves. Hannah Bales also had six saves for the Covenant women (8-8-1, 6-3-1), who lost 2-0 to Averett (11-4-1, 8-1-1), snapping the Lady Scots' opponents' scoreless streak at 414 minutes.
• Lee University won 4-0 over visiting Union University in women's soccer Friday, and the Lee men won 2-1 on Chevon Roberts' penalty kick with less than a minute to go in overtime. The game's first goal was by Quade Marinell at 80:13 for the Flames (7-3-4). Kinsey Cichowitz converted a turnover into a quick Lady Flames lead at 7:08, and Summer Lanter, Danielle Ciabattone and Leah Fortune completed the scoring by the first minute of the second half. Debbie Rogers and Ciabattone had assists for Lee (10-3), which outshot Union 27-2 with an 11-0 margin in shots on goal.
• Despite 12 saves by Taylor Mangrum, UTC lost 3-0 at Elon in Southern Conference women's soccer Friday night. Nicole Dennion scored all three goals, two in the first 14 minutes, for the Phoenix (11-2-4, 5-1-2), who had a 25-4 dominance in shots over the Mocs (5-11, 0-8).
• Sewanee tied visiting Hendrix 2-2 in Southern Athletic Association women's soccer Friday, and Hendrix won 3-0 in the men's game. Dominating 25-8 in shots and 11-1 in corner kicks, Sewanee (9-3-1) scored first and last in the women's game, Allie White and Nikki Johnston converting assists by Katie Morrison and Shelby Meckstroth. Will Dunaway scored twice for the Hendrix men.
• Briana Reid had 13 kills and 18 digs for the UTC volleyball team in its Southern Conference match Friday evening at Georgia Southern, but the host Eagles won 3-1 (25-14, 25-18, 23-25, 25-23) as Jamie DeRatt and Kym Coley each had 15 kills and Katie Bange had 13. Katalin Minnerly had 47 assists for GSU (20-8, 8-1). For UTC (3-20, 2-6), Lauren Gainer had 11 kills and Kasey Talley added nine, while Anne Bachmann set 30 assists and Melissa Green made 23 digs.
• Paula Martins had 19 kills and Camil Martinez had 40 assists as Lee University won 3-1 (26-24, 25-23, 19-25, 25-23) in Gulf South Conference volleyball Friday. Latrice Johnson had 12 kills and 10 digs and Libby Peigen and Deborah Magalhaes had 19 and 15 digs for the Lady Flames (11-5, 7-3).
• Kristen Pickett from Cleveland High School had 49 assists and 15 digs and Rachel Harper from Boyd-Buchanan had 11 kills with 15 digs as Carson-Newman lost 25-18, 21-25, 20-25, 25-22, 16-14 to Newberry in South Atlantic Conference volleyball Friday night.
• Payton Tipton from Cleveland High School had the team high in digs, as usual, as the King College volleyball team improved to 21-4 overall and 10-1 in Conference Carolinas with a 25-14, 25-13, 25-14 win Friday at Barton.
• UTC defensive line coach Marcus West will be the guest speaker for the UTC Mocs Club's "Breakfast With the Coach" at 8:15 this morning at Wally's Restaurant on McCallie Avenue. The public is invited, and no reservations are needed.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
Briana Reid's 15 kills, 16 digs and 17 points led the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga to a 3-1 Southern ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga volleyball team took the first two sets and made a season-high 84 digs but ...
Defending champion David Noll Jr. of Dalton lost against Norcross High School senior Zachary Healy in 19 holes in the ...
East Hamilton softball player Kelsey Payne signed scholarship papers Friday with Brenau University in Gainesville, Ga.