• Fifty-five Plus Club: Collegedale Seventh-day Adventist Church, 4829 College Drive, 11:30 a.m. bring prepared food to church fellowship hall for noon potluck vegetarian lunch. Program by Carol Raney on the Origins program of Southern Adventist University and resources being created for elementary and middle school teachers. 423-591-4779.
• Obedience class registration: Obedience Club of Chattanooga, Highway 193, four miles south of Flintstone, Ga., 1-3 p.m. registration for variety of dog and puppy training and agility classes. Must bring copy of dog's vaccination chart. Obedience classes begin Monday. chattanoogaobedienceclub.org.
• Red Bank Neighborhood Pride Association: Red Bank Community Center behind Erlanger North, 6:30 p.m., free and open to the public. Tim Holcomb of Holcomb Garden Centers will speak on ways to improve property appearance and preparing your yard for spring. firstname.lastname@example.org
• Greater Chattanooga Democratic Women's Club: IBEW Union Hall, 3922 Volunteer Drive, 6 p.m., visitors welcome; Judge Don Poole is guest speaker. email@example.com.
• Barnard Astronomical Society: Jones Observatory, 10 Tuxedo Ave., one block off Brainerd Road, 6:30 p.m., free and visitors welcome. Program by Ed Sunder on "Introduction to Digital Astrophotography for the Beginner." Park in the lot behind Brainerd United Methodist Church and walk up paved trail by cemetery to enter observatory. 423-425-4518.
• Barnyard auction: Chattanooga Choo Choo, 1400 Market St., 5:30 p.m. auction viewing, 6:30 p.m. dinner followed by auction, $40, fundraiser for Executive Women International's scholarship fund benefitting single mothers. For reservations: 423-265-0187.
• Chattanooga Stamp Club: Hickory Valley Christian Church, 6605 Shallowford Road, 6:30 p.m doors open, 7:30 p.m. meeting, visitors welcome. Program by John Burnett of the Huntsville, Ala., Philatelic Club. 423-344-7849.
• Marion County Caregiver Appreciation Day: Jasper courthouse square, 12 Courthouse Square, Jasper, Tenn., 5:30-7:30 p.m. CST, free, Alzheimers Association recognizes caregivers for anyone with dementia, hot dogs and drinks, door prizes. 800-272-3900.
• Optimize Communication Strategies Seminar: Collegedale Community Church, 4995 Swinyar Drive, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., seminar on brain research and function, continuing education credit available. For pricing and registration, call 423-987-0036.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 14
• Georgia Chapter, Trail of Tears: Auraria Community Clubhouse, 4125 Auraria Road, four miles south of Dahlonega Ga., 10:30 a.m., combined meeting with local historical society to determines sites in Lumpkin County for certification on Trail of Tears National Historic Trail. 706-864-6977.
• Pancake breakfast: Applebee's, 356 Northgate Mall, 7:3o0-9:30 a.m., $5, participants in Challenge Walk MS hold fundraiser for National Multiple Sclerosis Society. 423-667-6337.
-- Compiled by staff writer Susan Pierce
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...