The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga got its first volleyball win of the 2013 season Friday at the Ole Miss tournament in Oxford, Miss., but then dropped to 1-13.
The Mocs play the tournament host from the Southeastern Conference today.
UTC outlasted Southern Mississippi 3-2 (25-13, 25-21, 19-25, 22-25, 17-15) before falling 3-1 (24-26, 25-19, 25-18, 25-19) to Louisiana-Lafayette (1-3). Against Southern Miss (9-4), Allie Davenport knocked down 16 kills and Kendall Sexton, Briana Reid and Lauren Gainer added 11, 10 and nine for the Mocs, while Catherine Chason had 27 assists and 14 digs, Anne Bachmann set 20 assists and Melissa Green and Reid had 23 and 15 digs. Gainer had two block solos and five block assists.
Reid had 14 kills and 16 digs in the loss, when Davenport had 11 kills and 10 digs, Julimar Alvarado added 10 kills and Chason had 29 assists and 14 digs. Green made 11 digs.
* At Cleveland, Lee University won 3-0 (25-19, 25-22, 25-23) in its Gulf South Conference opener against visiting West Alabama, as Paula Martins made 10 kills, Patty Orozco and Erin Hill had nine apiece and Latrice Johnson added eight. Camil Martinez had 34 assists and 11 digs and Libby Peigen and Johnson contributed 14 and 12 digs for the Lady Flames (4-1).
* At Atlanta, Wellesley improved to 11-1 with a 3-0 sweep (25-11, 25-9, 25-18) of Covenant College, still playing without its conference player of the year from 2012. Stephanie Kirkpatrick had 13 assists and Estes Carlson had nine digs for Covenant (6-4).
* At Mount Berry, Ga., Berry College went to 7-3 and dropped Sewanee to 9-3 with a 3-0 win (25-20, 25-15, 25-22) featuring 12 and 11 kills from Emily Stromberg and Katie O'Rourke and 38 assists by Stephanie Quinn. Kayla Sewell led Sewanee with seven kills. Sara Jayne Sutton made 13 digs and Rachel Schuman and Walker Buxton had 10 assists each.
* At Pensacola, Fla., Tennessee Temple lost 3-1 (25-16, 21-25, 27-25, 25-17) to Pensacola Christian and beat Crowley's Ridge 3-1 (25-13, 23-25, 25-21, 25-15). Kaylee Ginnings had 28 assists and 15 digs and Shatoya Medford made 25 digs in the loss, and Kiara Govan had 27 assists and 19 digs in the win. Natasha Petrillo and Victoria Smith totaled 19 and 17 kills in the two matches, and Jade Mast and Lydia Vick had 27 and 26 digs.
* At Bristol, Tenn., Payton Tipton from Cleveland High School had 26 digs as King University (8-3) won its Conference Carolinas opener 3-1 (22-25, 25-19, 25-15, 25-23) over visiting Belmont Abbey.
* At Newberry, S.C., Carson-Newman lost 3-2 (24-26, 16-25, 25-17, 25-21, 15-8) despite 21 kills and 16 digs from Boyd-Buchanan alumna Rachel Harper and 40 assists and 10 digs from Cleveland's Kristen Pickett.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga volleyball team took the first two sets and made a season-high 84 digs but ...
Paula Martins had 12 kills and 11 digs and Lauren Williams added 11 kills as Lee University beat visiting North ...
The Tennessee Wesleyan soccer teams swept visiting St. Andrews in Appalachian Athletic Conference play Saturday, the Lady Bulldogs (2-4, 1-0) ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is still seeking its first win of the 2013 volleyball season, after UNC Charlotte ...