• School Carnival: Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy, 1800 Bailey Ave., 10 a.m.-3 p.m., free admission, nominal ticket fees for activities, benefits academic and enrichment programs at CGLA. 423-702-7320.
• Gym-Masters Show: Southern Adventist University, Iles P.E. Center, Collegedale, Tenn., 9 p.m., $5, university’s acrobatic team presents its annual home show. 423-236-2850.
• Gym-Masters Show: Southern Adventist University, Iles P.E. Center, Collegedale, Tenn., 2:30 p.m., $5, university’s acrobatic team presents its annual home show. 423-236-2850.
• Chattanooga Herbies: Hamilton County Extension Office, 6183 Adamson Circle, off Bonny Oaks Drive, 6:30 p.m., visitors welcome, featured herb is oregano. 423-875-9689.
• UTC Jazz Band: UTC Fine Arts Center, 752 Vine St., 7:30 p.m., free, with guest clarinetist Nikolasa Tejero and vocalists Amy Elizabeth Oaks and Alea Tveit. 423-425-4601.
• Weight-Loss Surgery Seminar: Chattanooga Bariatrics, 7405 Shallowford Road, Suite 160, 5:30 p.m., seminar on gastric banding and the new sleeve procedure. Free, but reservations required due to limited seating: 423-899-1000.
• Chattanooga Stamp Club: Hickory Valley Christian Church, 6605 Shallowford Road, 6:30 p.m. doors open, 7:30 pm. program on First Day Covers, visitors welcome. APS Sales books available to select stamps for purchase. 325-280-5549.
• Sunset Concert Series: North River Civic Center, 1009 Executive Drive, behind Northgate Library, 7 p.m., free, performance by musicians Pattee Wilbanks and Dale Martin. 423-591-0111.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...