States with military and other federal facilities and a higher share of retirees on Social Security got back the most from the federal government per dollar paid in taxes from its residents in 2013.
States with the highest return per dollar paid to the federal government
1. South Carolina, $7.87 back for every dollar paid
2. North Dakota, $5.31 back f for every dollar paid
3. Florida, $4.57 back for every dollar paid
4. Louisiana, $3.35 for every dollar paid
5. Alabama, $3.28 back for every dollar paid
Tennessee got back $1.64 from the federal government for every dollar paid and Georgia got back $1.05 back from the federal government for every dollar paid. The worst state for return on taxes was Delaware, which got back only 50 cents of every dollar paid in federal taxes.
Source: WalletHub, “States Most & Least Dependent on Federal Government.”
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right: