University of Tennessee at Chattanooga soccer coach J.D. Kyzer pulled in four in-state recruits on signing day, including multiple Tennessee State ODP players Abby Linder from Germantown, McKenzie Gregg from Newport and Brandy Herrera from Nashville. The other is acclaimed goalkeeper Hannah Dunn from Cookeville. Dunn helped Cookeville High go 17 games without a loss, set a school record with 18 wins and reach its first state tournament last fall as the team MVP, and she excelled in club play as well. Linder is a center midfielder who went to ODP regional camp in 2011-12, and she was a four-year Shelby County "Best of Preps" selection for Germantown High. She had 35 goals and 32 assists in high school and scored 198 goals in 527 games for the Collierville Soccer Club. Gregg had a school-record 34 goals in 2010 and 32 in 2011 for Cocke County High and made the Super 20 Semi-Pro team in 2011-13 with the Knoxville Soccer Academy, which she led to the national championships with team-high goals and assists last year. Herrera was a four-year varsity starter for Pope John Paul II High School and a standout for several club teams as well.
• Baylor School and Baylor Swim Club coach Dan Flack has been invited by United States Swimming to attend the 2014 U.S. National Team Coaches Seminar in April at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. He was invited based on placing athletes on the national team in recent years. The theme of the seminar this year is the evolution of the roles of the swimming coach and includes talks from USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo, former owner of NBA and Major League Baseball franchises and the overseer of Olympic champion basketball teams in 2008 and 2012, and world-record-holders and Olympic champions swimming coach Denis Cotterell of Australia. "Any chance to be around the top minds of our sport is a tremendous opportunity," Flack said in a release. "This is a real honor and I look forward to listening to many different points of view on the sport of swimming and bringing those concepts back here to enhance all our programs at the Baylor School."
• Hollie German and Jenna Adams scored 21 points apiece as Lee University won 79-68 in its Gulf South Conference women's basketball game Thursday against visiting North Alabama. UNA won the men's game 87-78. German was 10-of-10 on free throws and had five assists, while Rachel Lockhart had four assists and Adams pulled down nine rebounds. Cory Billingsley and Tyquan Roberts scored 18 points apiece for the Lee men, Billingsley hitting 11 of 12 free throws, and Jamal Worthington scored 14. Nathan Spehr had 20 for UNA.
• Tyler Garner from Boyd-Buchanan and Chattanooga State had the walk-off single that gave Southern Polytechnic a 3-2 win over Lindsey Wilson in the season opener last weekend in Marietta, Ga., and he went 4-for-7 with two RBIs and three runs scored as the Hornets swept the three-game series. They are ranked 17th in the NAIA; Lindsey Wilson is No. 15. Colton Kinnamon from Dalton and Chattanooga State pitched three innings with four strikeouts in the 6-5 Sunday victory that took 14 innings.
• Former Ooltewah High School player Sara Kelley was 3-for-3 with two two-run homers and six RBIs as Carson-Newman won its softball season opener 8-0 Thursday against Lees-McRae. Her 10 total bases in one game tied a program record. The Lady Eagles also won game two, 4-0. Braleigh Angel from Baylor was 2-for-4 with two runs in the opener.
• The Red Bank Boxing Club will be hosting an evening of warm-up fights Saturday with teams from Atlanta, North Carolina, Johnson City, Knoxville and Nashville in addition to two local teams. It begins at 5 p.m. at the Henry Luken Sports Facility and tentatively includes 18 bouts. Admission will cost $7 for adults with no charge for ages 17 and under.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
Former University of Tennessee at Chattanooga assistant basketball coach David Conrady has taken over the Covenant College men's and women's ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga soccer team doesn't have to worry about meeting great expectations this season. In fact, ...
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's basketball coach Will Wade announced Thursday the hiring of Brooks Savage to the coaching ...
Baylor senior goalkeeper Katherine Rodgers recently signed a letter of intent to continue her soccer career at Southwestern University, a ...