published Saturday, June 14th, 2014

Jury convicts Memphis man in fatal shooting of 3




Sedrick Clayton listens to testimony during the first day of his trial in Memphis in this June 10, 2014 file photo.
Sedrick Clayton listens to testimony during the first day of his trial in Memphis in this June 10, 2014 file photo.
Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.

MEMPHIS — A prosecutor says a Memphis man convicted of killing his girlfriend and her parents during a shooting rampage should receive the death penalty because he committed mass murder.

Prosecutor Jennifer Nichols delivered an opening statement in the sentencing hearing for 31-year-old Sedrick Clayton on Saturday afternoon.

A jury convicted Clayton earlier in the day of first-degree murder in the deaths of his girlfriend, 23-year-old Pashea Fisher, and her parents following an argument in the Fishers' home on Jan. 19, 2012.

Before the trial, Clayton offered to plead guilty in return for serving three consecutive life sentences without parole. Shelby County District Attorney Amy Weirich rejected the offer.

Defense attorney Gerald Skahan said Clayton's prior admission of guilt should allow jurors to hand down a sentence of life in prison.

about Associated Press...

The Associated Press

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.