Electrical fire thwarted by firefighters

Electrical fire thwarted by firefighters

January 13th, 2018 by Staff Report in Breaking News

Firefighters respond to a house fire Jan. 13 in the 1900 block of E. 34th St.

Photo by Captain Chris Cordes

Firefighters thwarted an electrical fire in roughly 15 minutes at a home in the 1900 block of E. 34th St., according to a release from fire department public information officer Bruce Garner.

The occupants were preparing to leave on Saturday morning when they heard popping and cracking sounds. They found a fire near the breaker box and were unable to extinguish it on their own. They called 911, and firefighters responded, containing the fire to one room.

The fire was ruled accidental and caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.

The Red Cross is providing assistance because the home's power was disconnected, according to the release.