• 1. Thomas Frist Jr. and family (including former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist), founded HCA in 1968 and built the company into the largest for-profit hospital company in the world, $6.1 billion.
• 2. Martha Ingram and family of Nashville, owner of distribution, publishing and marine business, Ingram Industries, $3.9 billion.
• 3. Frederick Smith of Memphis, founder and CEO of FedEx, $3.2 billion.
• 4. Brad Kelley of Franklin, owns 1.5 million acres of ranch land in Texas, New Mexico and Florida and built a discount cigarette business, $2 billion.
• 5. Jimmy Haslam, CEO of the Knoxville-based Pilot Flying J, owner of the Cleveland Browns and brother of Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam, $1.5 billion.
Source: Forbes list of the 400 richest Americans, 2013