Homecoming week cranks up for UTC faculty, students and alumni this weekend with the theme "Blue & Gold Mocsquerade."
While a few events are UTC-only — faculty and staff office decorating contest, University Day of Service, student and alumni networking mixer — the rest are open to the public, including activities focused on the homecoming football game on Saturday, Oct. 7, between UTC and Furman at Finley Stadium.
* Saturday, Sept. 30: Chord Overstreet, 4:30 p.m., Finley Stadium. Although the official homecoming football game is Oct. 7, the second of the Mocs Block Tailgate Concert Series is Saturday with Overstreet, an actor on the former TV show "Glee." His dad is Paul Overstreet, a country singer/songwriter who had eight Top 10 country singles between 1988 and 1991.
* Monday, Oct. 2: Kickoff pep rally, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Chamberlain Pavilion, located on Chamberlain Field opposite the UTC Library at the corner of Vine and Douglas streets. Rain location: University Center, Tennessee Room.
* Tuesday, Oct. 3: Headphone disco, 8 p.m., Chamberlain Field, Oak Street on campus. Don wireless headphones and a DJ will play dance music. Go barefoot and feel the green, green grass between your toes.
* Wednesday, Oct. 4: Lunchtime tunes featuring violinist Josh Vietti, noon, Chamberlain Plaza. Vietti plays a blend of jazz, traditional and rock violin with a hip-hop backbeat. He has appeared on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and also has played several jazz festivals.
* Wednesday, Oct. 4: Lip Sync, 8 p.m., McKenzie Arena, 720 E. Fourth St. Students will go solo or in groups to claim the prize as Best Lip Sync-er. Yep, karaoke for a bigger crowd than you'd get in your normal karaoke bar.
* Thursday, Oct. 5: Homecoming After Dark, 8 p.m., Chamberlain Field. Carnival food, lawn games, photo booth, music and a bonfire.
* Saturday, Oct. 7: Mocs Block game-day tailgate, 2 p.m., Mocs Block parking lot next to Finley Stadium, 1826 Reggie White Blvd. Another chance to build a head of steam going into the game—and eat at the same time.
* Saturday, Oct. 7: UTC vs. Furman, 4 p.m., Finley Stadium, 1826 Reggie White Blvd. Both teams are 1-3. The 2017 Top MOC and Homecoming Queen will be announced at halftime. The Student Public Service Award will be given to a man and woman who have provided distinguished service to the university and the Chattanooga community, with an emphasis on campus involvement.
Contact Shawn Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.