• What: "Facade: An Entertainment"
• When: 7:30 p.m. today, Sept. 5
• Where: Roland Hayes Concert Hall, UTC Fine Arts Center, 752 Vine St.
• Admission: Free
• Phone: 423-425-4601
• Website: www.utc.edu/music/projects/performances.php
Three departments at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga will come together for a performance tonight, Sept. 5, as "Facade: An Entertainment" offers elements of music, art and theater.
Facade brings to the stage the poetry of British poet Dame Edith Sitwell set to music by British composer Sir William Walton. It is scored for flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, cello, percussion and reciter, bringing together the interdisciplinary collaborative process between the literary and musical arts.
The performance will be accompanied by the world premiere of an animated video made up of artwork created by local K-12 students and inspired by Sitwell's poetry and Walton's music.
"The introduction of this new visual component will make for an engaging experience for our 21st-century audiences," says a news release.
• Project director: Nikolasa Tejero
• Video director: Angela Dittmar
• Conductor: Jooyong Ahn
• Reciter: Steve Ray
• Musicians: Heather Small (piccolo), Nikolasa Tejero (clarinet/bass clarinet), Clint Schmitt (saxophone), David Hobbs (trumpet), Ann Camp (cello), Monte Coulter (percussion)
• Artists: Students from Barger Academy of the Arts, Battle Academy for Teaching and Learning, Hixson Middle School, Howard School and Normal Park Museum Magnet School