BANANA SPLIT PARTY - Creekside at Shallowford, 7511 Shallowford Road. Ice cream party open to all area seniors, 2 p.m. Saturday. Free. RSVP: 485-9933.
CHATTANOOGA RIVER MARKET - Tennessee Aquarium plaza, 1 Broad St. Vendors sell local produce, arts, crafts and horticultural projects, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. www.ChattanoogaMarket.com.
CHATTANOOGA STAMP CLUB - Hickory Valley Christian Church fellowship hall, 6605 Shallowford Road. Meeting and program on "Canal Zone Gems" for all interested stamp collectors, 7:30 p.m. Thursday; doors open at 6:30 p.m. 706-935-6859.
CIVIL WAR HISTORIANS - Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Park, Visitor Center, Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Artillery demonstrations by living historians, 10 and 11 a.m., 1, 2 and 3 p.m. Saturday. Free. 706-866-9241.
CRUISE-IN - LaFayette, Ga., downtown square. Cars judged in best restoration, best resto-mod and best original categories, 6-9 p.m. Saturday. Free. 706-639-1519.
DOG SHOW - Trii-State Exhibition Center, 200 Nature Trail, Cleveland, Tenn. Chattanooga Kennel Club presents Fun Match Dog Show, noon Saturday. Registration 9-11 a.m. Free handling classes 11 a.m. All dogs welcome to compete (purebreds, rare breds and mixed breeds). Bring copy of dog's current shot records. Entry fee $5 per dog. 423-472-0307.
DOWNTOWN KAYAK ADVENTURES - Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St. in Coolidge Park. Beginner-friendly trips take paddlers around The Passage, Maclellan Island and Ross's Landing, 9-11:30 a.m. Saturdays and Sundays through Aug. 26. $35 adults, $25 child ages 8-13. No experience needed. Reservations required: firstname.lastname@example.org.
EVENING ON A MAGIC CARPET - 1307 Dodds Ave. Amateur and professional bellydancers entertain, 8 p.m. Saturday; doors open at 7:30 p.m. $10 in advance, $10 at door. www.alexandria1.com.
FRESH ON FRIDAYS - Miller Plaza, 850 Market St. Twelve trucks selling food, plus vendors with flowers and produce, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Fridays. 265-3700.
FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE BETH - Bethlehem Center, 200 W. 38th St. Evening of fun for adults outside a club setting, 7 p.m. today. $10 admission per person, $20 with dinner, $35 per couple with dinner. 266-1384.
GALLERY TALK - Chattanooga History Center, 2 Broad St. Second in lecture series previewing galleries in new Chattanooga History Center, 7 p.m. Tuesday. Dr. Daryl Black presents "The Funnel of the World," the story of Ross's Landing and the establishment of Chattanooga because of its geographical placement. Free for members, $5 all others. Reservation deadline: Monday. 265-3247.
GEM SHOW - Northwest Georgia Trade and Convention Center, 2211 Dug Gap Battle Road, Dalton, Ga. Treasures of the Earth Gem and Jewelry Show, 2-7 p.m. Aug. 10, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Aug. 11, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 12. $3 for ages 16 and older; ticket good all weekend. 706-272-7676.
HIKES - Led by Soddy-Daisy Hiking Club. Bring water and snack. 842-3619.
• Saturday: Fall Creek Falls, meet at Durham Street parking lot in Soddy-Daisy, 9 a.m.
• Tuesday: Sterchi Farm, easy 3.5 miles, meet in Highway 153 Target parking lot, 8:30 a.m.
• Aug. 11: Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park, Fort Oglethorpe, easy 4-5 miles in battlefield, meet in Highway 153 Target parking lot, 8 a.m.
PARK(ING) DAY - Allied Arts, 406 Frazier Ave. Planning meeting for Sept. 21 worldwide event in which artists, designers and citizens transform metered parking spots into temporary public parks, 9 a.m. Tuesday. RSVP: 529-0315.
RINGGOLD MARKET - Downtown Ringgold, Ga., outside the courthouse. New farmers market with some crafts; sponsored by Chattanooga Market, 8-11 a.m. Saturdays. 402-9958.
RIVER CANYON ADVENTURE - River Canyon Apartments, 21726 River Canyon Road. Kayak and paddleboard rentals, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. Also, three-hour trips at 9 a.m., noon and 3 p.m. either to Williams Island or to Raccoon Mountain. Boat pickup an extra $10. Reservations: 987-1711.
ROCK CITY - 1400 Patten Road, Lookout Mountain, Ga. Events Saturdays and Sundays through Labor Day. Admission: $18.95 adults, $10.95 children 3-12. www.seerockcity.com
• New Binkley Brothers: Noon-4 p.m. at Lover's Leap.
• Birds of Prey: 11 a.m., 1 and 3 p.m. Additional 4:30 p.m. show Saturdays.
TRAIN RIDES - Departing from Tennessee Valley Railroad, 4119 Cromwell Road. 894-8028, www.tvrail.com.
• Missionary Ridge Local: Six-mile, 55-minute ride through East Chattanooga to TVRM's repair shop. Fridays-Sundays. $16 adults, $10 children ages 3-12.
• Chickamauga Turn: Six-hour trip includes lunch layover in Chickamauga, Ga.,10 a.m.-4:15 p.m. Saturdays through Sept. 29. $34 adults, $26 children, ticket upgrade available for lunch in dining car.
BOOK SIGNING - John Ross House, 200 East Lake Ave. Rossville. Pulitzer Prize nominee Jerry Ellis signs "Walking the Trail, One Man's Journey Along the Trail of Tears" and "Marching Through Georgia, My Walk With Sherman," 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 11. Free. 400-7400.
CHATTANOOGA PUBLIC LIBRARY - 1001 Broad St. (main library) and branches at Eastgate, Northgate and South Chattanooga. For information on preschool story time, Adventure Club for children ages 6 and up, and the teen center, Teen Stack, call 757-5310 or visit www.lib.chattanooga.gov.
• Saturday: Teens Own the Night masquerade ball, 7 p.m., downtown library branch.
CHILDREN'S STORY HOUR
• Barnes & Noble, 2100 Hamilton Place Blvd., 11 a.m. Wednesdays. 893-0186.
• Books Never-Ending, 247 Cloud Springs Road, Rossville, 10:30 a.m. Saturdays for ages 3-8. 706-891-0774. www.booksneverending.com
CREATIVE DISCOVERY MUSEUM - 321 Chestnut St. Admission: $11.95 adults and children. 756-2738, www.cdmfun.org. Current exhibit: "Tinkertoy: Build Imagination," through Sept. 9.
GIRL SCOUT RECRUITMENT - Northgate Mall near Justice and Hot Topic, 271 Northgate Mall. Register 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday. 865-584-0550.
ART CREATIONS - 7351 Commons Blvd., off Gunbarrel behind Smokey Bones. 266-3626.
• Saturday-Sept. 8: Learn To Draw Your Favorite Characters, with instructor Cliff Banks, 2-3:30 p.m. Saturdays.
• Sunday-Aug. 26: Drawing, Painting, Printing and Assembling, with instructor Jackie Cory, 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
• Tuesday-Sept. 11: Learning To Paint Landscapes for Beginners, with instructor Sandra Washburn, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesdays.
POTTERY CLASS - EAC Pottery Studio, John A. Patten Recreation Center, 3204 Kelly's Ferry Road. Hours: 6-9 p.m. Mondays, 3-9 p.m. Wednesdays, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. Cost: $10 for three-hour session, $25 for 25 pounds of clay, which includes bisque and glaze firing. 260-0255.
SEWANEE HERBARIUM - University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn. "Drawing Lessons From Nature," two-day workshop on focusing attention, drawing from nature and recording observations, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. CDT Aug. 10-11. $75. Enrollment limited to 15. 931-598-3346, email@example.com, lal.sewanee.edu/herbarium.
TOWNSEND ATELIER - 201 W. Main St. Registration required for all classes. 266-2712.
• Aug. 11-12: Watercolor workshop, 9 a..m.-5 p.m., with instructor Daud Akhriev. $200.
• Aug. 18-19: Chinese Brushwork, with instructor An Ho, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. $195 includes materials.
BIG BAND - American Legion Post 95, 3329 Ringgold Road. Music by the Legionnaires, 7:30 p.m. Saturday. $5. 624-9105.
LINE - Allemande Hall, 7400 Standifer Gap Road. Dance to music of all genres, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Monday. $7 per evening, $22 monthly. www.linesinmotion.net.
SHAG - Elks Lodge, Graysville Road at East Brainerd Road. Dance with members of Choo Choo Shag Dance Club, 7 p.m. Thursday. $5 members, $7 guests, free to first-time guests. firstname.lastname@example.org.
SINGLES - First-Centenary United Methodist Church, Mohney Hall, 399 McCallie Ave. Beach-themed dance with special price to thank supporters of Positive Christian Singles, 7-10 p.m. Aug. 11. $2. 622-8180.
USA BALLROOM - Allemande Hall, 7400 Standifer Gap Road. Dance 7:30-11 p.m. Aug. 10. $5 first-time guests. 499-5738.