Where: Allemande Hall, 7400 Standifer Gap Road.
Admission: $25 today, $35 Saturday, $20 Sunday;
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chattanooga Traditional Dance Society's annual dance bash, Chattaboogie, gets under way tonight. Among those scheduled to perform at this weekend-long celebration are Perpetual e-Motion and Double Apex, two New England duos that specialize in techno contra music.
Registrants can take part in contra dances and waltzes. Saturday afternoon will be devoted to a pair of workshops.
* Perpetual e-Motion, based in Maine, has been lauded as a two-man orchestra that continues to innovate the art of traditional dance music. Ed Howe plays electric violin; John Cote accompanies on guitar, didgeridoo and foot percussion. The duo is returning after drawing rave reviews last year.
* Double Apex, of Boston, fuses the worlds of electronic and acoustic dance music, using fiddle, piano, synthesizers and samples to produce its sound. Members are Brendan Carey-Block on fiddle, sequencing and samples; and Julie Vallimont on piano, synths, sequencing and samples.
Other performers and callers this weekend originate closer to home.
* The Christie Burns Trio is fronted by the co-founding director of the Folk School of Chattanooga. Burns is perhaps best known for her talents on the hammered dulcimer.
* Caller Seth Tepfer, dubbed Atlanta's dance magician, is known for his infectious energy, short walk-throughs and "hash contras." He specializes in squares, contras and other folk dances.
* Chattanoogan Vicki Herndon has been a contra caller for 10 years throughout the Southeast. Her collection of dances ranges from old favorites to new surprises.
* 6:30 p.m. Registration starts
* 7:30-9:30 p.m. Contra with Double Apex
* 10-11:30 p.m. Contra with Perpetual e-Motion
* 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Waltzes with the Christie Burns Trio
* 12:30-2 p.m. Lunch on your own
* 2-4 p.m. Contra with Double Apex
* 4:15-5 p.m. Workshops: callers with Charlie Harvey; contra flourishes with Warren Doyle
* 5-7:15 p.m. Dinner on your own
* 7:15-7:45 p.m. Waltz with Perpetual e-Motion
* 8-11 p.m. Contra with Perpetual e-Motion
* 11:15 p.m. Late-night dance with Double Apex
* 9:45-10:45 a.m. Doughnuts, coffee and waltzing to recorded music
* 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Contra with Perpetual e-Motion and Double Apex