We - in Hamilton County - are 340,855 strong - just over 5 percent of Tennessee's total population.
Our median age is just over 39.
But 21.7 percent of our population is under age 18.
And 14.5 percent of the population is 65 or older.
About 52 percent are female, and 48 percent are male. Specifically, there are 14,383 more adult women than adult men in Hamilton County.
More than half of men are married - 53.2 percent. Another 11 percent are divorced, and 2.4 percent are widowed.
Under half of women are married - 46.8 percent. Another 13.9 percent are divorced, while 10.8 percent are widowed.
* 94.3 percent were born in the United States, and 58.8 percent were born in Tennessee.
* 74.8 percent of Hamilton County residents are white.
* 20.3 percent of Hamilton County residents are black.
* 4.2 percent are Hispanic or of Latino origin.
* 6.5 percent speak a language other than English at home.
* 4.9 percent of Hamilton County residents were born in a foreign country.
Among adults age 25 and older in Hamilton County:
* 4.7 percent have less than a ninth-grade education.
* 9.5 percent don't have a high school diploma.
* 27.9 percent have a high school diploma or equivalent but no college.
* 23.6 percent have some college training but no degree.
* 6.8 percent have an associate degree from college.
* 18.2 percent have a bachelor's degree from college. Of those, 9.2 percent have a graduate or professional degree
* The median household income - the point at which half of all households earn more and half earn less - was $45,826.
* The average household income, calculated by taking all residents' income divided by the number of workers, is higher at $60,516 in Hamilton County.
* The per capita earnings for a typical worker in Hamilton County is $24,197.
* In Hamilton County, 16.9 percent of the population lives in poverty.
Source: U.S. Bureau of CensusContact staff writer Pam Sohn at email@example.com or 423-757-6346.
- Compiled by staff writer Pam Sohn