Why We Love It
This salad is full of the great summer flavors of cherries, basil and grilled chicken. Buying prepared grilled or roasted chicken (frozen or fresh) will make it a snap to put together. You can even substitute frozen brown rice instead of cooking the basmati rice - you'll need about 2 ¼ cups.
• 3/4 cup brown basamti rice, rinsed
• 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 shallot, finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 pound cherries, pitted and quartered
• 1 pound prepared grilled or roasted chicken breast, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
• 2 cucumbers, peeled and diced
• 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted and chopped
• 1/2 finely sliced basil leaves
Bring 2 ½ cups water to boil in a small saucepan and stir in rice and ¾ teaspoon of the salt. Bring back to a boil, stir again, cover and simmer until the rice is just tender but not mushy, about 40 minutes (not all the water will be absorbed). Drain rice and rinse briefly under cold water. Drain again.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, shallot, pepper and remaining ¾ teaspoon salt. Add cherries, chicken, cucumbers and onion and toss. Add rice and pecans and toss again. Serve at room temperature garnished with basil.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
AMOUNT PER SERVING: